Avoiding mold by buying the right rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MA

So. I am EXTREMELY allergic to mold to the point where there are some buildings I can't go in; I walk in door, smell mold, walk back out because I know if I don't I will be very sorry. This has also been the case with used MHs, so I am only going to buy new; then any later mold is my own fault. I have a Camplite travel trailer that has stayed mold-free for four years now, but it has no wood in it. It has leaked but without wood I was able to avoid mold.

But the TT is getting to be way too much work for me at my age, and I want a motor home to replace it. But....I don't think you can get a motor home without wood in it. And I know better than to get a slide; slides tend to leak and I can't go there.

So, just looking for general ideas on what to get that would be most mold-safe, given adequate maintenance up front. No slides, and only one person.

MA said:
But the TT is getting to be way too much work for me at my age, and I want a motor home to replace it. But....I don't think you can get a motor home without wood in it.
I don't know why you think an RV would be less work than a TT.

Have you considered just getting a dehumidifier (a real one)? I bought one and can't imagine ever being without it again.

I am not allergic to mold, so perhaps you've already considered this and ruled it out. But humidity drives me batty - even the kind that a rainy day in Oregon can produce inside a small temporary structure like an RV of any kind.

I leave mine running any time I'm awake (though it's quiet enough that I could sleep with it on if I needed to), everywhere except the desert. With the assistance of a small fan as well I can hang-dry my laundry indoors, over night.

Being allergic to mold, you'd want to wipe it down - maybe with a mild bleach solution? - every time you dumped the water tank. But if this works, you wouldn't have to worry about what kind of RV you got. And, trust me, you can buy a used one, just as long as you make sure there's no exterior wood rot, because after pulling all the moisture out of the air these things will start pulling it out of all other porous materials.

Google dehumidifiers and mold allergies and see what you can find.

What do you mean by no wood?  If you are talking about the framing Winnebago does not use wood.  I think the 22r Itasca you asked about in your other post would fit your needs.  I think a small MH is less work than a trailer especially if you are not towing a Toad.  Dick nvrver

You are going to be hard pressed to find any brand of Class A-B-C with zero interior wood.  Slide seal technology is pretty darn good, our three slides do not leak unless there is a failed seal.  With your super-sensitive nose, start walking into new motorhomes and give them the sniffer test.

Us old boat folks know that ventilating is the key to keeping mold down. The closet in my 35 Voyage sweats on the inside wall if I do not keep the door open during cold humid weather.  The inside window frames drip water during hi humidity cold days. Keep the heat turned up and ventilate. Art

Art In Mobile said:
Us old boat folks know that ventilating is the key to keeping mold down. The closet in my 35 Voyage sweats on the inside wall if I do not keep the door open during cold humid weather.  The inside window frames drip water during hi humidity cold days. Keep the heat turned up and ventilate. Art
Or...just get the dehumidifier I talked about. Solves all those problems (if you're not on the water or boondocking and electricity isn't an issue).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom