Avoiding Nashville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lumpy75

Heading south soon and looking to not go into Nashville. Was looking at Google maps and was wondering if anybody else has used some of the Alt routes. We will be driving to Paducah the first day then going Decatur the next. Mapping shows two alt routes that do not add much time to the trip. Last time in Nash sat in traffic for hours. Always seems to be a mess there. Any help would be appreciated. We have a fifth wheel so want to avoid tunnels and low hanging stuff. Thanks.

You didn't say where south, but whether your going to FL or TX, I usually would go I-55 south to I 10.  This way I would avoid Nashville and Atlanta, going to FL.  A longer way but much easier on the TV/FW and me, specially avoiding these two cities.

I did mention I was going to Decatur Al. but thanks. I will be heading to Florida at some time but first I am heading to Talladaga for the race. Your route would be good if I was going direct to Florida which may be an option on my way home. Thanks looking for any way to avoid the mess in Nash.

I've been around Nashville before with no problems, after fearing that the traffic would be horrible based on what I had heard.  This may seem obvious, but time your trips through the metro areas as far away from commuting time frames as possible.  Around the noon hour, or later in the evening would be your best bets.

Atlanta is another one. Problem with Nashville is when you are going south. They have been working on that side for three years. Always backed up and when you do get past that everyone is going nuts and driving like crazy. Not a good combo with 40 feet on the back. I try to time it best I can but sill have had issues three years in a row. Wanting to avoid it this time. I was suggested to take 641 to 40 to 840 on another forum. Has anybody traveled this route?

Went through there twice this summer and stayed down town one time at the Jelly stone park. I didn't think the traffic was all that bad. But I live in the Fort Worth Dallas area.
SeilerBird I didn't know they let you out of Florida. ;D ;)

I've been on I 55 and 10 a lot, I may just do that this year.  I didn't mind Nashville so
much last year but I do want to avoid Atlanta, I too don't mind driving a bit further to miss it.

Can't stay much over a month this winter, due to Tom's schedule and intend to take DD
to Mall of the Americas once it warms up, and her birthday coming up, no can do.
Didn't get her to Mall of the Americas last year, maybe we can this year.

Since I'm taking both pets this year a month or so may be all they and I can handle,
we will see.

I wanted to go Jan, Feb, and to March 3rd or so but no can do, sigh.

Lumpy,
I live in Paducah and seem to be in Nashville 5 or 6 times a year.  You have very well founded concerns!  There is a lot of construction and delays on I-24 / I-65 in Nashville. 

My suggestion:  I-24 to Brierly Pkwy EAST, aka TN155. (one exit before I-65)  Take this all the way to I-40 West, I-24 East (really south), I-440 West and finally I-65 South.  This may sound complex, but if you look at a map, it will make perfect sense. 

Brierly Pkwy and all specified roads are limited access, interstate quality roads.  Brierly Pkwy takes you past the front door of the new Grand Ole Opry and Opryland Hotel.

You did not specify your starting point, but Illinois gas prices - especially southern Illinois are usually 20 - 30 cents higher than Kentucky.  Cross the river before you fill up if you can.  The first KY exit has a Pilot and two other stations, and I am pretty sure all sell Diesel.

Wave as you come through!!

Thanks Grashley I will look at the route today. I am coming from Ill and I try and time my fill up in Paducah. It is a 7 hour drive from our home to there. That's enough for one day and we stop at exit 4. There is a Pilot there and Fern Lake camp we use. I like to fill up with the rig off so it works. Sometimes we stop at Victory camp since it is a Passport place but it is a little off the road.

scottydl said:
I've been around Nashville before with no problems, after fearing that the traffic would be horrible based on what I had heard.  This may seem obvious, but time your trips through the metro areas as far away from commuting time frames as possible.  Around the noon hour, or later in the evening would be your best bets.
I've followed that same advise and have usually done alright but you may also want to check on sports schedules.  Had never thought about it while travelling until we got caught in traffic for over 1 1/2hr after a big Titans/Cowboys game.

The bottle neck I have ran into each time has been when going south you hit major construction around 24 and 65. Going north or to the east side of Nashville has not been an issue. But if you are going on the west side using 65 I have never had an easy time no matter what time of day. Made about 5 trips in the last 3 years and only hit it good one time. Not wort the risk. The route suggested using TN 155 we pass that right before we hit the crap and have wondered if that would be a good way to avoid the mess. If they had the work done on the ramps and all lanes open now that would be great but from what info I can get that is still not done. Thanks to Grashley going to try that route looks good.

When I was in N'ville a month ago, the were not even close to done.  And you are right. Going north is usually only a slowdown.

You want Exit 3 in KY for Pilot and Fern Lake.  Exit 4 is the mall.  I live 3 mi south of Pilot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom