Awning Cover when in storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamentt

Does anyone know of a product that will cover the awning when closed to keep the rain out.  When we store our trailer for any length  of time the awning will collect rain.  Then the next time we use the trailer the awning will most times have water and spots on the vinyl that need to be cleaned.

Is there some type of cover for the awning available for sale or another method of keeping the water out of the awning when the travel trailer is stored?

I have seen a product that looks like a thin plastic pipe but has a lengthways slit in it. To use it, you open it up into a "C" shape and push it over the awning. Have never used one, however, so I can't say how they work.

I was thinking that a pice of flex solid drain pipe may work.  If I cut the pipe and slide it over the awning, it should keep most of the water off. 
I'll put a post on the site again after I try it, and let you all know if it works.

I have the same issue.  Don't know about stopping the water but a couple of Magic Erasers will clean the mold off fairly quickly. 

The black drain pipe works!  I got two pices of 4" black solid drain pipe and cut it in half  I then just push it over the awning.  I know this is not 100% waterproof, but it should keep most of the water out.  I'll know for sure in a few months.

This product may be more than you were looking to spend but maybe you can duplicate something similiar somewhat cheaper?

I fabricated a cover using plastic rain gutters. I cut them down to 4' sections, used the joiners, and tiewrapped the ends to the awning itself.
It has stayed on in heavy rains/winds.

Attachments

• coverl1.jpg
    coverl1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 84
  • coverl2.jpg
    coverl2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 80
  • coverl3.jpg
    coverl3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 86
I will post the pictures as soon as I get them to fit the size requirements.

Low cost cover from Home Depot, about $5.50 per pipe. 

Attachments

• cover3.jpg
    cover3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 66
  • cover1.jpg
    cover1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 69
  • cover2.jpg
    cover2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 59
Hey all,

My awning has begun to crack and the "layers" of vinyl are beginning to separate. Anyone know what a fair price for a replacement is? The current measurement is 16' 4" X 8' 11" ,or 16' 11" X 8' 4" cannot remember but you get the basic idea of material needed. Just need to know what a "ball park" figure I'm looking at so I don't get taken to the cleaners.

Thanks,
Cody

mamentt said:
Low cost cover from Home Depot, about $5.50 per pipe.

Great job on this. Hey I am not sure if I am seeing this correct. Looks like the tube is solid and never cut?? How did you get this on??

Edit: Moderator fixed misplaced end-quote tag

The gutter and drain pipe both look like pretty good solutions that won't cost too much.  another benefit is they would both keep the sun off the awning fabric which should help it left little bit longer.

Cody, I bought an awning fabric replacement from www.shademyRV.com  if you go to their website there is a place to enter your awning dimensions and you will get a price.  I would use them again when the other awning needs replacing.

Hey FishnJim and Manmet,
What do you guys like about each others idea. Not trying to start an arguement here just trying to see if one works better then the other. I still cant see how the black drain pipe one is installed. It looks like it is over the entire awning and not cut.  Thanks fellas.

I think it would be helpful to see them both off the cover to see what it looks like before it is installed.
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom