Awning Support Arms - Shaking in the Wind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlshunter

Just noticed today that the attachment points of the awning tube and the 2 supports is not stout….the top bar moves back and forth when the diagonal moves up and down with the slightest wind gust.
5th wheel is 2006 model.
Seems to me there is something wrong. Both sides do it.

Any advise

Attachments

• AB0B5629-F906-4A07-8244-9761B41CFE74.jpeg
    AB0B5629-F906-4A07-8244-9761B41CFE74.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 7
Give us a picture of that top bar.
That top bar should have a locking screw/bolt in the middle. Do you have one and is it tight.

Agree with Rene.

The lower bar has detents so you can set the height of the outer end of the awning.

After you set that then the upper bar telescopes. You should pull it about 1/3 of the way from the roller end towards the coach and then there should be a knurled knob that locks the upper bar(s) where you set it.

This stops the lower bar from moving up and down.

Agree with Rene.

The lower bar has detents so you can set the height of the outer end of the awning.

After you set that then the upper bar telescopes. You should pull it about 1/3 of the way from the roller end towards the coach and then there should be a knurled knob that locks the upper bar(s) where you set it.

This stops the lower bar from moving up and down.
I always use to tighten the locking screw of the top bar then extend the bottom arm to the height I need to end up with a awning tipped for water runoff.

I always use to tighten the locking screw of the top bar then extend the bottom arm to the height I need to end up with a awning tipped for water runoff.
I always set the lower detents. You are right about being able to set the detents at different heights. I always had the rear at least one a notch lower so rain would flow off the aft end.

Then I move the upper arms in to "close" where I wanted them, tighten the lock nuts then shove the arm in a little more to "jam" it taught so teh awning is nice and firm.

Until my awning got ripped off by high winds in AZ last year - LOL...

Thanks for the tips...but everything said was already tried.
I am familiar with how they work, just seems like that attachment point should not be so sloppy in the grooves in the lower arms. I have a video of it happening, but cannot get it to upload onto this site.

Interesting. It seemed mine were never more than 5 feet off the ground.

I wonder if your rig is taller.
I did have a fifth wheel and the roof line was high. In order for the door to clear the awning, the roller tube was close to 7’ off the ground when extended

Back
Top Bottom