Awning unfurled while driving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim.B1

We were travelling south on I-75 through Kentucky last month and were hit broadside by a huge wind gust.
It was strong enough to push us 1/2 way into the next lane.
Immediately, we heard a loud banging, and pulled over.
Our A&E Awning was about 1/3 unfurled, and yet the lock was still in the roll up position!
Fortunately, we found a place to pull off the highway and get it rolled back up.
I looked on the internet later that night and found this to be a rather common problem, so I started looking for some type of "roller lock", this was not a problem with the arms.
There were several DIY products online, but I chose to go with the "RV Awning Lock" (found it on You-Tube).
About $45.00 delivered to us at a park, max.30 minutes of DIY install time and know feel confident the we will not have this happen again.
The awning must have shifted from the wind gust, but after reading other comments on this site, I will try to re-align the awning in the roller tomorrow.

Just FYI if you have a keystone model from I believe 2012-2014 some of the serial numbers have a recall on the awning for just that very thing. Fun fact: they will send someone out to you to replace it since they don't want you driving with it.

Other brands may have something similar since I'd be willing to bet they all source their awnings from a few manufacturers. I'd google around.

Glad you guys made it through that okay.

That's one of the reasons I always carry a roll of duct tape and a couple dozen bungee cords of various lengths.  And a telescoping ladder.

I had it happen near Fairfield California.  We were driving home from the Columbia River Gorge where the wind was 40-60 MPH every day we were there.  Kind of ironic I think.

The locks or clamps on a lot of awnings can come loose easily, so I use Velcro tape--the stuff that sticks to itself and comes in a roll, not the two piece stickers.  I wrap it around the awning pole higher than the clip as an extra way to prevent it from unfurling.  You can get it from any hardware store, but here is one source:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/VELCRO-0-75-in-x-144-in-Black-Strap-Fastener/1087893

Camping World also sells awning straps that do the same thing:  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/awning-straps/2790

Wrapping something around the awning arms will NOT prevent the awning from unfurling in a high wind condition. Only those locks that lock the awning roller will, such as the strap type that wraps around the awning roller, or the type that lock the roller itself with a pin arrangement, will do the job. The problem is wind overcoming the roller cam lock by pulling out the fabric, not the arms extending.

Worst case? A friend with a Class C had awning come undone, went over the top of the rig and punched a brick sized hole through the wall below the dinette before completely coming off and falling behind them into traffic.

He used duct tape to repair it. Not the awning, the hole!

I built my own awning roller lock after having a similar unfurling experience. It used a hook (that fit into the grooved channels of the roller) on the end of a long steel rod that would ratchet onto a lower awning leg mount.  Hard to describe but it worked well!

Soon after that my awning fabric was damaged by wind & the whole thing (including roller and arms) was replaced.  I had no concerns with unfurling after that.  Its usually caused by worn springs/gears inside the roller.

This is how I lock my awning.

I use the rod that is used to pull down the awning.  I straightened out the hook and rebent so the hook is a little longer.  May need to use a torch to heat the rod so it does not break when bending.

Then on most awnings there are two holes in the end.  Insert the hook into the hole near the top and tie wrap the long end of the rod to the awning arm.  When the awning tries to unwrap it turns upward and the rod will prevent it from rotating.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x479/lavaphoto/WaterHeater009_1.jpg

Sorry about the title but it is a picture of my awning.

Just an update to my post about the awning unfurling.
The roller tube unwound in the wind, even with the lock in position.
The arms did not come unattached.
I also use velcro straps, but the arms were not the issue.
A month after the accident, the awning actually stopped working (would not hold when in the "out" position).
I ended up replacing both the left and right tension springs and learned that older A&E 8500 Awnings used a "friction" system to allow you to lock and unlock  the awning.
Not a great system, as over time the friction wasn't enough to control the roller.
The replacement tension springs now come with a direct drive gear system, much superior.
The 2 springs were $110.00 on eBay and I paid $100.00 to have it installed.
Can't believe how easy the new system operates, much smoother.
I have since re-installed the "Awning Lock" just for piece of mind.
After hearing some of the horror stories from other RVer's we consider ourselves very lucky.

Do the electric awnings, with their metal covers, unfurl in the wind as well? They look pretty enclosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBHpSHfxnhY

The metal covers are not uniquer to electric awnings - it's just a feature available on better models.  I've had a manual awning with the metal cover unfurl in a nasty crosswind.  My electric awning never did, but not sure it was ever exposed to a similar stress.

The main unfurl advantage of the electric motor driven awning is that the roller tube inherently resists turning. The small motor is geared way down and it is darn near impossible to rotate the roller tube except by powering the motor. They don't even the awning lock of a manual (hand unrolled) awning.

Back
Top Bottom