Back again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sibermom

We found this forum to be a life saver when we first got our big travel trailer. you all helped us figure out how to plan our big trip west. That was two years ago. In addition to taking in several visits and activities, it was an opportunity to test the waters before our dream trip we expected to take this year.
But life doesn't always go as planned, and the money we saved over the years for that rip had to be diverted for another pressing cause. It may take us 8 years to save it up again. So now that wonderful trailer we bought for the trip sits pretty much unused. We have to decide whether to sell it our use it to take some smaller trips. so I am back here again, hoping to come up with some more ideas and information.
My husband still clings to the idea of keeping the trailer, and it is especially well suited for our needs; but anymore I'm not sure its a good idea. It's perfect if we are going cross country and plan on staying at our destination awhile, but it is too large to easily manage - stops along the way to see some little tourist spot are out of the question. For me, that's half the pleasure of the trip.
Also, we have three large dogs and dog sitting gets expensive - our month long trip two years ago cost us over $750 just for the dog sitter. If we are going to travel much, I need to find a practical way to manage the dogs enroute.
anyway, I'm back after a two year absence, and I'm looking forward to chatting and learning.

I don't think your Jayco 282 is too large for those overnight stops you mentioned.  How small were you thinking?  You need the same space for comfort whether staying one night of several, right?  And a 22 or 24 footer still isn't small in an absolute sense - the truck + trailer is still going to require a good sized spot.

As for the financial piece of the decision, only you can answer that. However, if it will be unused for several years, there is little point in maintaining it, buying tires, insurance, etc.  If you are reluctant to use it for shorter recreational trips, it probably should be sold.

Welcome back. As for not being able to stop where you want along the way because you think your RV is too big, I can tell you from experience (we had a 37? 5th wheel) it never detoured us. We lived in ours for 5 years and I got into just about any situation you could think of. I have pulled into small parking lots only to find the way out was block. Had to back out around a corner. As many on this site will attest to, most dogs travel well. It just takes a bit of planning. We now take our grandkids on most trips. And we have a TT about a third the size of our original RV.

We decided it was time to sell our RV and today we put a sign on it for the town-wide yard sale. Two people expressed a real interest but had to consult with other family members first. But now I'm not longer convinced we want to let it go. I realized that selling it is not just getting rid of our RV, it is letting go of a dream. Neither of us feel ready to  put an end to the dreams. Now I'm wondering what to say if one of them gets back to us and says "yes." Can I get away with saying, "we changed our mind"?
I know from experience of having to end most (all?) past dreams that it hurts bad. Maybe it's worth hanging on to a trailer we don't need just to not shut that door irrevocably.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom