Back Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackbetsy

I have been diagnosed with sciatica. Sharp, shooting pain down my right butt, into my calf, and the three middle toes of my right foot are numb. Standing and walking are difficult at best. I have had an MRI which shows herniation at L1, L2, L5 and S1, with the L5/S1 hernation transversing a nerve root.  The neurosurgeon has prescribed Celebrex and Lyrica as well as traction physical therapy three times a week.  MAN! I am NOT liking this! I am 52 years old and have always been active..coaching soccer and cheerleading when my kids were young. And now our sights are set on enjoying our 5er, long walks in the campgrounds and swinging with our grandson! My question...anyone else with experience with back trouble? surgery (as I am afraid I am heading in that direction)? Any words of wisdom from someone who has been there?!?

I was diagnosed a number of years ago with degenerative discs in the lumbar area. The neurosurgeon told me "I've done surgery on 2000 people like you, but I'm not going to take your money. I suggest you lose weight and get rhythmic excercise (walking, bicycling, swimming.)"

Some years later, when I couldn't move, I started visiting a chiropractor. Instant relief! although the treatment continued for many months (maybe a year). All symptoms disappeared for 7-8 years, then wham! I visited a different chiropractor (this one was my next door neigbor). Instant relief again, although he used a completely different technique. He also suggested I get a Sleep Number (air mattress) bed. My back problems disappeared.

Symptoms reappeared some years later on our maiden voyage on this coach. I was fortunate to find a chirpopractor to give me immediate relief, but I also headed to the nearest bed/mattress store and bought an air mattress to replace the junk foam mattress. Guess what - back problems disappeared again.

I can't give you medical advice, but I can share my experiences and what worked for me.

Like Tom, I can only share my personal experience with sciatica.  Losing weight (which of course I've regained), regular walking, and regular yoga.  Also, raising my computer screen so I wasn't always bent over.  New bed also helped.  It's tolerable now.

-Dave

cougar3514v said:
Losing weight (which of course I've regained)..

I thought I was the only one who went through that cycle  ;D

....  raising my computer screen so I wasn't always bent over.

Now that's something I didn't think of!

Tom said:
Now that's something I didn't think of!

The raising of the computer screen was mostly because my neck and shoulders were going numb or rather they were tingling the way your foot does when it falls asleep.  I was pinching a nerve in my neck from bending over.  Raising the screen helped with the back pain too.  It also helped with some TMJ (jaw problems) I was having.  Good Lord, I sound like I'm falling apart!

-Dave

Dave,

I get those same feelings in my neck and shoulders when I've sat here long enough, so the idea of raising the screen makes a lot of sense to me.

BTW on a scale of 0-100, I have my side of the bed set at 100 and I'd set it at 150 if that was possible. My other half prefers her side around 35-40. My back hurts just thinking about it!

Jack,

You sound like my wife a couple of years ago. Couldn't walk more than 2  or 3 hundred feet before she had to find a place to sit down. She continued this way trying everything hoping she wouldn't have to have surgery. Finally the pain got to the point she was in pain all the time and he leg was going to sleep and she was stumbling when she walked because she didn't have any feeling in that leg. She had surgery a year ago and is now pain free. If you're in the Phoenix area, or would want to travel there for treatment, we can recommend a good doctor.

Tom said:
I get those same feelings in my neck and shoulders when I've sat here long enough, so the idea of raising the screen makes a lot of sense to me.

If you're getting those same feelings in your neck and upper back, a doctor gave me a quick stretch that clears it up quickly.  Turn your head so that your chin is above your left shoulder, raise your left arm, and place your left hand on the crown of your head.  Gently pull your head with your hand so that your chin is pulled toward your shoulder.  Repeat for right side.  (God I hope that made sense.)  Usually, the numbness goes away immediately for me.  If the above description doesn't make any sense, I could try again although I'm not sure if I could describe it any better a second time.

-Dave

Don,

Glad to hear that Peg's surgery was so successful.

I forgot to mention something the neurosurgeon told me and another reason he advised against surgery in my case; He said it was possible that pain from the post-surgery scar tissue could be worse than the pain I was seeking relief from.

In my case it was about 1967 and my right leg had ached for 6 months.  I had been going to a  chiropractor but there just wasn't any improvement except to the contents of his wallet.  Finally I decided I had better go and get it checked out by an appropriate MD.  I was living in Lewistown so I went to Billings for the examination.  After several x-rays the doc told me they only way to cure the condition was surgery to fuse some disks in my lower back.  The doc also mentioned that if I didn't get it fixed in less than six months I would likely end up in a wheel chair.  Went home to think about it and decided to get a second opinion so I made an appointment in Great Falls.  Went through the another set of x-rays etc and the doc gave me the same story as the first except that he gave only three months before I would be in a wheel chair.  I told the doc to set up the surgery and I was suppose to go in on a Sunday afternoon for surgery on a Monday.  The Friday before I was going in I was giving a friend the keys to my airplane and explained what was going on.  My friend said better get another opinion that he had gone through the same thing and he still had the symptoms and the only difference he couldn't get a  chiropractor to treat him anymore for temporary relief because of the surgery.  I went home and my landlord at the time asked what I was going to do.  I told her the whole story and she said I should go see Doc Copland and she made a call. Now this was after 17:00 but he agreed to meet me in his office.  We this  chiropractor was from the old school and the day I first seen him he was in his eighties.  He worked on me for at least two hours or more first loosening up the tightened muscles the finally making an adjustment.  within second of that adjustment the ache started to subside.  He then made several other adjustments that he indicated was necessary to keep things straight.  Total charge for this office call was 20-25 bucks  When I asked when he wanted to see me again he said I hope I don't have to see you again for this condition because if he did he hadn't done his job.
Cancelled the surgery. Have not had a problem like that since.  Oh I never did need a wheel chair.

jackbetsy said:
I have been diagnosed with sciatica. Sharp, shooting pain down my right butt, into my calf, and the three middle toes of my right foot are numb. Standing and walking are difficult at best. I have had an MRI which shows herniation at L1, L2, L5 and S1, with the L5/S1 hernation transversing a nerve root.  The neurosurgeon has prescribed Celebrex and Lyrica as well as traction physical therapy three times a week.  MAN! I am NOT liking this! I am 52 years old and have always been active..coaching soccer and cheerleading when my kids were young. And now our sights are set on enjoying our 5er, long walks in the campgrounds and swinging with our grandson! My question...anyone else with experience with back trouble? surgery (as I am afraid I am heading in that direction)? Any words of wisdom from someone who has been there?!?

My wife Ellen had the exact same problem as you. She opted for the surgery, and it worked flawlessly. She had the surgery March 15, 2006, and she is absolutely pain free. There is some recovery time as with all surgery, and you will be in a back brace for 2 months. One thing, just make sure that you get a really good surgeon. The lady in the bed next to my wife in the hospital had a different surgeon, but the same surgery, and she had more discomfort than Ellen did. When Ellen enquired about this, her surgeon told her "different patient, different doctor". One hint Ellen's anesthesiologist, was a partner of her surgeons, and a pain management doctor too.

If they are going to do a first rate job, and really fix the problem, they will be cutting you both in the front, and back. That way they take care of both sides of the spine.

B-T-W, Ellen just turned 62, so she was 61 when she had the surgery.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Jack,

You sound like my wife a couple of years ago. Couldn't walk more than 2  or 3 hundred feet before she had to find a place to sit down. She continued this way trying everything hoping she wouldn't have to have surgery. Finally the pain got to the point she was in pain all the time and he leg was going to sleep and she was stumbling when she walked because she didn't have any feeling in that leg. She had surgery a year ago and is now pain free. If you're in the Phoenix area, or would want to travel there for treatment, we can recommend a good doctor.

Hey, where you at in Phoenix?  I'm in Desert's Edge RV park in Deer Valley and I go to Dr. Thorsten Stein, the worlds tallest chiropractor!

Bruce Patterson said:
Hey, where you at in Phoenix?  I'm in Desert's Edge RV park in Deer Valley and I go to Dr. Thorsten Stein, the worlds tallest chiropractor!

We're up in Camp Verde Bruce. Don't go near the city unless we have to. Too many people in Camp Verde for me. Phoenix drives me up the wall.

Thanks for your replies. I have started the traction physical therapy and haven't had any pain relief yet, but I am willing to give it a chance. For John and Don....did your wives try the therapy first? Or was surgery the only option? My physical therapist is hoping the traction will help, but he said the numbness is concerning. I really HATE this...I know I'm not 20 years old anymore, but I'm not 90 yet either!! How do I choose a "good" surgeon, if that is the route I take? Thanks for your help!

Betsy

I typed this once before but it was rejected, so here goes again..  I'm now 73 next month, and problems have been with me since age 14.  Been to Chiropractors all my life with reasonable results. nothing lasted. I refused surgery and continue to do so.  9 years ago it got so bad that I was down to rolling off the couch and crawling on hands and knees to answer the phone.  Couldn't do steps and had to sleep in a recliner.  The stretching process was advertised on TV one night. I called the Back Pain Institute in St Louis MO.  IT is the VAX - D system.  6 wks of treatment 5 days  a wk.  Living in ILL  I drove 55 minutes to  the treatment, the treatment took 55 minutes, 55 minutes to drive home.  Maybe a little relief was noticed after the 4th  treatment.  Definitely after the 8th. A little more each 3 to 5 treatments.  After the final treatment and following the exercises given me -- I felt great and got better as time went on. POP goes the bubble,  I pulled and stretched my Achilles and the pain when doing the exercises was unbearable so I stopped them.  Still felt great. I made 2 commericals for them on the VAX - D system.  I was  Pitching horseshoes, driving the MH long distances, crawling on top of the RV to recoat the roof.  Waxing RV and Cars. Building a house.  Remodeling  some of our Apartments., Working on Cars.  Riding Bikes again.  Then I slipped and jarred it this past August.  Now I'm in AZ and the VAX - D in in St Louis.  I contacted the Phoenix Back Pain Institute and They emailed me telling me I'm not qualified for their services.  Now what/.  Well I talked to a neighbor  having trouble with his shoulder.  Acupuncture is his treatment.  Called the Dr., made an appointment and had two treatments.  Bingo  Felt like a million bucks.  That was in Nov of 06.  Feb late in the month I was on a 10 ft step ladder and reached too far with 1 leg off the ladder, instead of moving the ladder, (Big Dummy)  I know better, and pop I felt it again. I now use lots of ointments and pain patches will doing lots of hobbling and tears in the eyes. Guess I'll go give the acupuncturist another crack at me before submitting to surgery as a last result.  Can't stand anyone cutting on me with no guarantees.  Just my take on this miserable thing called old age and now I have to pay for the ignorance of getting hurt while playing sports.  But I still play Tennis, Slow pitch softball, horseshoes, Ride bikes, golf when I feel like it.  Also am in the 55 to 60 % ringer class.  Not bad for an old crippled up geezer.  Just a lots of tears and ointments.

jackbetsy said:
For John and Don....did your wives try the therapy first? Or was surgery the only option? My physical therapist is hoping the traction will help, but he said the numbness is concerning. I really HATE this...I know I'm not 20 years old anymore, but I'm not 90 yet either!! How do I choose a "good" surgeon, if that is the route I take? Thanks for your help!

Betsy

Yes, she tried therapy and some kind of shots into her spine. After I saw the xrays of her spine even I could see the disk that was out of place.

Jack,

My wife has regularly back pain. The chiro did  and does a wonderful job. But you need a good chiro, one you trust. And not to often. The relief should be there in one or two treatment. If lot of caution (how you bend, how you pick up ANYTHING, avoiding falls or rough banging) is used the chiro is needed several times a year.
Sometimes up to 6 months between treatment. But a bad chiro could worsen things. Again one back pain is not another back pain. Chris has two vertabras that slips out of place then the nerve holes are not facing each other and the nerve gets pinched.
Anyhow wecome to the club. More than 50% of people above 50 or 60 have this trouble.  :-[

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom