Back up cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbluefan02

Anyone have suggestions on back up cameras?  I would love to have a wireless one but most of the reviews I've read haven't been the best. So any feedback would be helpful. Also my RV is 24ft class C.

I just bought a 10" monitor from these guys www.qualitymobilevideo.com . They are easy ro deal with ad talk to.

Robert K said:
I just bought a 10" monitor from these guys www.qualitymobilevideo.com . They are easy ro deal with ad talk to.
I hooked mine to an existing camera and only had to run power  to the monitor and hook up trigger wire to old camera switch

Compared to hard-wired cameras, wireless cameras are relatively easy to install. That's one of their strongest selling points. You need a place to mount the camera/transmitter and display/receiver, and you have to run 12 volts to them. That's about it.

Kev

I have heard from a few users of wireless cameras that they might work for a while but don't continue working and so end up being a waste of money.  I am using a "hard-wired" system and don't have any problems.  I bought a cheap screen and cheap camera at Amazon and they work fine.  I also have my camera on all the time I am driving and use it just like it was an inside rear view mirror.  I installed backup sensors in the rear bumper too.  They were not expensive on Amazon.  Wiring everything really isn't too bad.  Just be sure to include a fuse close to the power supply just in case you develop a short somewhere along the wire.

If I were going to install a system in a motorhome, I'd invest the extra time and install a hard-wired system - even though it can be a real PITA to run the coax. When properly installed, they just don't have the interference problems that wireless systems can have - and the longer the coach, the more likely you are to have interference problems. Unless they've recently changed, all the motorhome manufacturers that I'm aware of are still installing hard-wired systems.

If I were going to install a system in a trailer or 5th wheel, however, I'd look seriously at a good quality wireless system. Creating a wiring harness for the coax to bridge the gap between the trailer and the tow vehicle could be problematic and lead to connection problems in itself.

Kev

Kevin?
I installed a backup camera on my trailer and connected it with hard wire.  I used a weather-safe Caspers Electronics connector at the bumper of the truck.  I separated the coax at the connector and re-connected the coax on the other side of the connector.  The only issue I have is when you put the brakes on, you get a slight "wave" in the picture.  Not bad.
I have a backup camera on my truck (useful when hitching up) and when you connect the cable from the truck to the trailer, you automatically switch to the trailer camera.  The wiring wasn't too difficult and basically used two relays, one for the coax center wire and one for the coax shielding (again, separating the shielding and center wires at the relays). Those relays selected which camera signal went to the screen and those relays were tripped by a connection made at the trailer connector.
So, it can be done but you have to really want to take the time to configure it all.

RTsRV

The positive/negative list as best I can type it:
Wireless positive: easy install, no need to run cables,, Easy to move vehicle to vehicle (no need to buy new cables or remove old ones)
Wireless Negative: Need to replace/recharge battery, Subject to RF-interference both from on-channel or adjacent channel other RF devices.  or other sources like Fuel Pumps (electric) Ignition systems, Higher power radios, Even receivers on the right frequency can knock it out.. More and more sources every day, Computers, GPS receivers, DVR's (Any type of computer device) even the Engine control computer can cause problems.
And finally Limited range,, Epically if there is a lot of metal in the way (The real rear cap on my motor home is covered with foil covered insulation, the false rear (The one you see) is fiberglass and wood)

Hard wired Advantages:  Draw power from vehicle system, no need to replace/recharge internal batteries.. Hard wire is fairly immune to outside interference.  Metal walls... Get a drill and sealant (or run around them) Distance limits exceed maximum vehicle length. by more than 100 feet.
Hardware disadvantages.. You have to run the cable, not easy to transfer vehicle to vehicle.

Bottom line... Hard wired better

RTsRV...

That's great. It takes a bit of extra work to do what you did but it sounds like you did it right. It's just my opinion but I think a hard-wired system is more dependable in the long run.

BigBlue... glad we were able to help. Let us know how it all turns out.

Kev

We had a Voyager wireless rear view camera installed in our MH when we purchased it in 2012.  Works great, no problems at all.  They wired the camera to a running light so all I have to do is turn on the running lights, plug the monitor into the 12 volt outlet on the dash and ready to go.  We've been through horizontal rain, hail, snow, desert heat and northeast cold without any problems.  Recommend that you calk the point where the camera power cable passes through the outside of the MH and not depend solely on the rubber grommet.  Oh, since the monitor is not hardwired I can use it when loading my toad on to my tow dolly, just move it from the MH to the toad.  Very handy.

One of our members called falconhunter has a wireless camera and has had no issues. He mounted it inside of his 5vr with a couple of clamps on the valance. Hopefully he'll read this and have some input. Good or bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom