Backing a 36' into driveway.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I back my 35' motorhome into my double width drive from a single lane alley.  It takes several cuts, but I can make it without a spotter (my wife refuses to even watch me).  My biggest problem is the bushes and trees lining the alley.  I wish I could trim them but they are not on my property, so I just take my time.

To JSW if the bushes and branches overhang your property, you can cut/trim them. 

Fire hydrants are killers, watch for electrical service to your house. Can you get to your house with the MH.  In winter not much problems with trees. Hanging down. In summer another story. When it rains they hang lower. Now if you live in snow country, and you go to pull out, or in if the plow came through you now live on a 1 1/2 lane rd.  I have a 10.3 RR bridge on the normal route to my home. So I have to exit or enter a different route.

One more thing, never back up without a spotter. I do not care how good you think you are.

Jim

If I never backed without a spotter I would only be at home.  My DD cannot help and often I back it in the garage at home.  Of course I agree, that would be the ideal, some of us just don't have it.

PatrioticStabilist said:
If I never backed without a spotter I would only be at home.  My DD cannot help and often I back it in the garage at home.  Of course I agree, that would be the ideal, some of us just don't have it.

I agree for similar reasons ... DW is legally blind, very limited vision.  Several years ago while on the way home with our, at that time, Mirada and my utility trailer we arrived at the camp ground after dark (I try not to do that).  I laid out a couple of flashlights along the edge as a guide and Kelly was outside to help as much as possible.  After a couple of pull forwards - back up again, as I was outside taking another look, a fella from the next campsite came over and offered to help.  The backup camera on our Southwind is a big help  ... very good at night.

Got it parked good enough for the night although it wasn't straight.  Next morning we were getting ready to leave and a younger fella came over to say Hi.  Says " ... ya I probably should have come over to help last night ... Dad can't really see too good!"    :eek:  ???  ;D

So I try my best not to have to park after dark ... use the mirrors and backup camera ... stop and get out and look again as needed ... and maneuver slowly.  Yes a spotter is definitely better, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Howard and Kelly

I do appreciate all the advise here, can't wait to give it a shot, my street is kind of busy and people will just have to wait and watch me practice.  8)

Look at it this way - you'll be giving them their chuckle (and maybe a really good laugh) for the day!  ;)

ArdraF

If you ever want to have fun. Just head to any boat launch on a Saturday morning.  The most fun you will ever have watching people trying to back their boat trailers into the launch

Back
Top Bottom