Backing Up, Hooking UP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I've posted this elsewhere, but this is what I have my wife for.  This is my driveway (I have since widened it, but park in my other driveway anyway...also wider).  This drainage ditch is 5 feet deep, and about 8 feet across.  I don't want to miss the driveway!

Attachments

• DSCN0507 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0507 (Small).JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 64
The camera in my tail gate is amazing for hooking up.  More often than not I have to adjust because I the trucked rolled more or less than I was guessing when I put it in park. 

Big trailers are easier in the respect that they react slower.  My dad's 10' popup is a nightmare if you're not paying attention. 

My biggest problem is that before I flew them for a living, I paid my way through college working on airplanes. When you're pushing an airplane you're facing it, and have two pivot points (the tug and the nosewheel).  As a result, I almost always make the first turn or two in the wrong direction.  Old habits die hard.

Edjunior, that looks like my son's driveway, except he has a row of tall bushes on one side that overhang the driveway about a foot and a post light pole about 2' away on the other.  Also has a watering system for his grass and roadway in front is also narrow.  It gets wider as you get up to the garage, but he keeps suggesting I back up my motorhome and park in his driveway.  Done it a couple of times, but horrible.   

Just want to add that my son does NOT own or drive an RV of any sort. 

No pictures but two funny stories:
I was signaling to husband and backed him perfectly into a tree branch.  Poked a nice hole in the metal siding.  He was in the rain on a stool with needle nosed pliers trying to unfold the metal to block the rain.  He about fell off the stool when I asked him if it would help for me to poke it out from the inside.  He had no idea that it went all the way through.  Did NOT ruin the weekend trip though!

Last year first trip out I was determined to get him into the spot correctly despite being hailed on while I was waiving.  I got camper of the week award from several watchers.

JudyJB said:
Edjunior, that looks like my son's driveway, except he has a row of tall bushes on one side that overhang the driveway about a foot and a post light pole about 2' away on the other.  Also has a watering system for his grass and roadway in front is also narrow.  It gets wider as you get up to the garage, but he keeps suggesting I back up my motorhome and park in his driveway.  Done it a couple of times, but horrible. 

It's pretty hairy still, even with a widened driveway.  Mainly because the road is so narrow and on the other side is a ditch just like mine.  Sometimes I get lucky and only have to try two or three times.  Sometimes I end up having to run around the block and start all over.

My wife forgets sometimes that if she can't see me in the mirror I can't see her while backing up.

When we get to our destination I disconnect the toad and tell my wife..."Go somewhere and I'll call you when I'm parked." She then takes the car and goes somewhere. Then I park the motorhome with no distractions.

We have a happy marriage that way.

When park employees offer to assist me I politely tell them "Thank you but I prefer to do it myself." 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom