Backup Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailorkane

Newbee.  The Sony backup camera in BW is barely adequate on this motorhome.  I want to replace it with a high resolution color unit.  Thinking of a camera like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012NDHLJE?ref_=pe_623860_70668690, which is 960x480, full 180 degrees wide angle.  Also need display and thinking of a 9" portable TV with RCA input.  However, running a wire from back to front seems like the worst part of the job.  The old sony 4 conductor wire needs an adapter of some kind, probably on both ends.  I checked with rvcams and Tim says that they only sell the adapters as part of a full voyager camera/monitor setup.  I don't like the specs on the voyager--its not wide angle enough.  Anyone else upgraded their Sony without running new wires?
PS:  I did a search and read about 20 previous posts, but none were right on-point.
PS:  Even considering replacing the crt tv over the center console with a small TV for the backup camera....

I think you are putting to much emphasis on the back up camera. It isn't a substitute for mirrors and a helper. Handy for watching the towed vehicle while under way.

John Hilley said:
I think you are putting to much emphasis on the back up camera. It isn't a substitute for mirrors and a helper. Handy for watching the towed vehicle while under way.

It is much safer looking forward then watching the rear end on a colour monitor! ;)

I wouldn't be without a backup camera, it helps when maneuvering even with a spotter and for a long time, I used it to tell when it was safe to pull back into a lane (now I just use side mirrors.)  Now that we pull a trailer, a backup cam is almost essential when backing since I can't always see the trailer from the side mirrors.

Your very best bet for cameras is to talk to Tim (or anybody) at rvcams.com - they can advise what the best bang for your buck is and something that will meet your requirements.  They are good honest folks and I've dealt with them for years. 

John,
I believe OP said he talked to Tim...apparently did not get the answer/info he needed. :(

bobsharon said:
John,
I believe OP said he talked to Tim...apparently did not get the answer/info he needed. :(
Oh, right you are - that was buried in the fine print  :D.  I went the Amazon camera shopping route when I was looking for a under frame rock crawling cam for the Jeep.  Bought a two cam outfit for a reasonable price and one of the two cams lasted about 20 minutes.  Pulled that junk out and bought a cam/monitor Tim suggested - happy Jeeper now.

Sailorkane said:
Newbee.  ..... Also need display and thinking of a 9" portable TV with RCA input.  However, running a wire from back to front seems like the worst part of the job.  The old sony 4 conductor wire needs an adapter of some kind, probably on both ends......
I would cut the ends off the existing cable and wire in the connectors that come with the new equipment.  Should be a shielded wire for video, the shield, + 12 v power, -12 ground and maybe a control wire. 

Duner said:
Should be a shielded wire for video, the shield, + 12 v power, -12 ground and maybe a control wire.
True if Composite signal for video/audio. Otherwise there would be an audio wire as well...
Has anyone ever checked what is in the Sony B/W connector between Camera and Display wire wise?
I would really like to know the ICD information on the interface for my future use (I like the cut ends off and install new connectors idea if the interface is the same).

My monitor died in Montana two years ago, did what you are doing now. Went to the blog and was told to go to some place in the south.  I would have to get to my MH to get the name, but I called them, they gave me a recommendation , I bought it and it works.  It's B/W but I did not care.  I had a problem with the audio, I caled them and they told me what I dd wrong and how to fix it. 

Amazon is ok if you know exactly what you want. Not much support on Amazon.

Go with the experts on the blog.  Learn from there mistakes and expertise.

My experience is that the rear camera is useful only in combination with the side mirrors while proceeding forward, and sometimes with a human screaming at you when backing up.  I keep the audio off while on the road -- passing truck noise is distracting, and there's really nothing you want to hear, anyway.  When backing up, however, it's good to be able to hear the exact expletives that your helper is shrieking at you.  You might expand your vocabulary that way.

My wife and I use FMRS radios for the backing process, much better than her yelling something, and I can't respond or issue directives...and the camera is absolutely a must when towing!

When we were brand new coach owners, we took a private two day driving class from Dick Reed's RV Driving School (absolutely invaluable) and one of the lessons was how to direct a driver.  We were taught hand/arm signals much like you see the ramp monkeys directing aircraft on a parking apron.  Large movements involving the entire arm swiping left or right against the body to direct the driver right/left.  Faster or slower arm movement to indicate the amount of steering input required.

For backing, both arms raised and moved forward/backwards.  For backing straight both arms raised with the palms parallel to the coach movement.  Stop is raised arms with clenched fists.  This is a simple and effective method to park a vehicle and you don't need any extra equipment.

We get so amused when we see some of the backing directors (usually the ladies) wiggling the hands and fingers around - some of them look like they are playing a flute.

We could probably put together a campground orchestra.  Not sure what we'd do with all those conductors, though. . . .

Funny, I've been towing trailers, usually boats, later RVs, for 40 years.  The only guidance I need from an observer is "STOP" when I might hit comething I didn't see.  Any "guidance" on which way to go, or particularly which way to turn the wheel, is virtually useless.  If I hear ANYTHING from the observer, I stop dead.  Recently my wife and I have been using cell phones, which are a help.  But my rules still hold:  tell me if I'm going to hit something.

While I don't "depend" on my back-up camera for much, I DO leave it on while driving down the road. It makes a decent alternative to a rear-view mirror... :p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom