bad day for somebody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mopar1973Man said:
What most people don't understand is most 5th wheels and larger travel trailers out weight the tow vehicle and takes even less wagging for the trailer to over come the tow vehicle.

Now that you mention it, even as substantial as my truck is, the trailer weighs roughly the same.  Most fivers would outweigh it.

Most large trucks are the same way - the loaded trailer easily outweighs the tractor.  The difference is a 5th wheel hitch vs. a bumper pull hitch, putting the trailer attachment point directly over the truck's rear axle instead of several feet behind it.

Sway control on a bumper pull hitch is merely a band-aid, stiffening the truck-trailer pivot.  It only delays the onset of sway because it does nothing about the basic physics that lets the bumper to rear axle lever affect the stability of the combination.

If it's set up correctly, loaded correctly, driven at a prudent speed, and has a substantial enough truck doing the pulling, there won't be any sway.  That 30' bumper pull beast of mine doesn't budge an inch.

The only time I've seen issues with sway and have to be careful is with a 1/2 tank of water being my water tank is at the rear bumper. Get all that liquid moving and it will continue. But other than that I've owned this RV for 5 years now heading to 6 years and enjoyed every road mile towed with it. Towing speed limit for all my trailers is absolutely 60 MPH tops. Typically set the cruise control for 55 MPH and sit back enjoy. I'm out to enjoy myself with my RV not have white knuckle shockers like the video posted here. Then means I won't never be on I-86 (Or I-84) in Idaho either. It means I would be on a back country 2 lane highway (like Hwy 95, 55, etc.) enjoying the sights and pulling over and shooting pictures (and/or videos) once in awhile not whizzing past everything at break neck speeds of 80 MPH (Trucks 70 MPH) which is the speed limit of all interstates of Idaho now.

Last thing I want to do is hurry I do enough of that in my daily life.

Mopar1973Man said:
Last thing I want to do is hurry I do enough of that in my daily life.

Agreed.  I've had to go like Hell most of my life.  When I have the RV hooked up, it's all about relaxing and enjoying downtime.

One thing I learned a long time ago.  If you can get the right or left side off the pavement, it helps to settle it down.  But I agree, foot off the gas, trailer brakes only......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom