Bad sensors on black tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred1845

We took our new motor home out  for our first camping trip this past weekend.Thor Freedom Elite.When I was dumping the tanks I noticed black tank looked clear.dumped grey after black tank.Checked monitor panel and black showed 2/3 full after dump and grey was empty.A fellow camper(you guys are all helpfull to us newcomers) suggested to fill tank with water by flushing toilet to get water into tank.Did as he suggested but panel still showed 2/3 full.My question , is sensor bad ?Would it need replacing?Its brand new so still under warranty .Is there something I can do my self?If i add something if it would help,how do I test it to see if its fixed?Find a dump station ?Thanks for your help in this annoying problem .

Same here with my brand new 2016 travel trailer the other day when I dumped it for the first time, but I fully expected it.
We are on our third trailer in 15 years and they are all the same .
The sensors are useless. Toilet paper gets hung up on them and then you end up with a false reading.
The way I used to check it on my last one was by looking down the toilet  and seeing how close the liquid was to the top.
On this new one, I'll have to shut the water off to do the same, since the water pressure blocks seeing down the pipe

jack L

Sensors are working as designed.

First: The sensor is nothing more than a nail, or metal rod, inserted into the tank, The "Theory" is that if the liquid in the tank is covering the sensor, since it is not pure water, it will conduct electricity

The problem is that not only is there water but "Slime" sticky stuff that adhears to the side wall of the tank and shorts the sensors out same as water does.. So they only work, properly, if you do a very serious cleaning of the tank.

Two solutions
1: Horst Miricle Probs CLAIM to be immune to this, I have yet to test the theory so can not say more than they CLAIM

See Level,, Uses a different technology, Supposed to be immune to this.

I agree with John. The sensors aren't bad. There is likely something left behind after you dumped the tank that stuck to them. Seems to be very common. We have a black tank flush out system built into our TT that I can hook the hose up to, to flush the tank. This always "fixes" my sensors. I assume you don't have this on your rigs? I thought that was a fairly standard item on newer RV's. Perhaps not.

Dont have it on my home.It should since its a 2017.Who knew to look for it .

They sell aftermarket flushing unit which can be installed fairly easy. You'd be surprised how mush more stuff will come out of your tank after using one of these.
Check with dealer to make sure you don't have a flushing set up already. Call the service dept. and ask them not the salesman.

This is one brand:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/7964402?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227009250415&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839970712&wl4=pla-78653131112&wl5=1015150&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=7964402&wl13=&veh=sem

A very common issue. I give the stock monitoring systems little credit for a number of reasons.
Not a deal breaker. You can upgrade the system or just eyeball it. 

legrandnormand said:
The best way is to figure out how many days can you use the toilet without flushing, and from there, just use that schedule.

X2.

The above IS about the Only fix. Same with the Grey Tank(s).

Example: I just flushed & triple rinsed our 2016 FW tanks yesterday. Let them drip dry to empty.

Jus' fer Drill I poked the buttons. The "monitor" sez: One grey tank is 1/3 full.. the other is empty.. the black tank is 2/3's full.

@ 50 years of RV'n, 7 different Rigs.. I'll step up and say.. Those dang "Tank Monitor" set ups.. jus' don't work, and at best.. are not reliable.

Figure out yer own schedule.. based on use.. and Dump accordingly.

Sometimes if you put ice cubes down your toilet and slosh that around when your on the road and drain it.  If their is any toilet paper hang ups that may help.

Good Luck,
John

Iowajohn said:
  Sometimes if you put ice cubes down your toilet and slosh that around when your on the road and drain it.  If their is any toilet paper hang ups that may help.

Good Luck,
John

I heard of using ice cubes, but I never thought it would be very effective. That's only my opinion.
I just happen to think if maybe using ice cubes if there was ever a chance of the cubes hitting a sensor and possibly damaging it. I don't know how much a sensor is sticking in the tanks. Maybe someone can add to this.

A couple of videos, you make your own decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6acEmqvcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfTd0Slt_cU

I saw a wand "thingy" that you poke down toilet and the head spins around and  theoretically  clears anything stuck on sensor.Would that work ?Thanks for all you answers and help .One day I will be a expert too .

A long as that wand actually gets into the tank, it should work fine. Many toilets have a 90? elbow and pipe before the effluent can enter the tank. If so, such a wand may not actually reach into the tank. This often occurs when the toilet is located on the left (drivers) side of the vehicle and because the output of the tank for dumping is usually  directly underneath.

Jus' an Opinion ?

The Wands, the Built-in tank flushers, the Tank Monitor readout panels.. they're all there for us to use.

The Bottom Line: WE, are our Own Best Monitors at managing and maintaining the Holding Tanks. Whatever Works For Us... on our own Specific type of tank configuration.

We need to accept the fact that we probably Never Get.. a Total, and Complete Evacuation of the tank(s).

Sooo.. Based On Daily/Weekly Use.. When and if we dump our tanks and Rinse them well with plenty of water, by whatever means... That's As Good As It Gets.

Routine Maintenance IS the Key. 

Alfa38User said:
A long as that wand actually gets into the tank, it should work fine. Many toilets have a 90? elbow and pipe before the effluent can enter the tank. If so, such a wand may not actually reach into the tank. This often occurs when the toilet is located on the left (drivers) side of the vehicle and because the output of the tank for dumping is usually  directly underneath.

If you do have a 45 degree elbow before the tank, you might be able to use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40074-Flexible-Swivel-Shutoff/dp/B0006IX7YC

John From Detroit said:
Sensors are working as designed.

First: The sensor is nothing more than a nail, or metal rod, inserted into the tank, The "Theory" is that if the liquid in the tank is covering the sensor, since it is not pure water, it will conduct electricity

The problem is that not only is there water but "Slime" sticky stuff that adhears to the side wall of the tank and shorts the sensors out same as water does.. So they only work, properly, if you do a very serious cleaning of the tank.

Two solutions
1: Horst Miricle Probs CLAIM to be immune to this, I have yet to test the theory so can not say more than they CLAIM

See Level,, Uses a different technology, Supposed to be immune to this.

The sensors that the rv industry are using on the black water tanks are absolutely useless for the intended purpose.
The only reason they are using them is the fact that they are the cheapest thing on the market.

Prior to my retirement, I was in electrical and instrumentation engineering and we designed many various tank level indicators for the pulp and paper industry as well as waste water and sewer level indicators.
  No one with half a brain would use this type of sensor on a tank that would have liquid  material that would get hung up on the sensor.

Go to any sewage treatment and see what kind of level indicators they use.
The cost for what will work is just too expensive for the RV people to use, so they just continue year after year to install the same useless cheap stuff , knowing that people like yourself will pay for a self cleaning method.

Jack L

I'm just now reading through all of the comments regarding bad grey and black tank sensors.  I have the same problem.  Purchased my RV used about 6 weeks ago, it's a 2013 40' Keystone Alpine.  I knew the black was empty but after setting it up on my lot, the sensor read 2/3 full.  Same with emptying Grey 1 Tank...I know the tank is empty but it still reads 2/3 full.  So I've been tracking the number of days on the black and the number of showers and loads of laundry I can do on the grey.  So far, it's hitting full at around the same # of days on the black and same number of uses on the grey.  So I'm pretty confident once the sensor actually shows full, it is. 

I agree with all the comments that we are our own best 'sensors'!  Knowing this has eliminated a lot of worrying!  Good luck to all with the same problems.

Hi all.Here's update on sensor problem.We were getting ready to go out with M.H. when toilet over flowed flooding everything.Called RV tech who came to check it out.He discovered ANOTHER black valve for the tank on other side of home. NOONE at Camping World told us anything about this other valve.When we open valve by tank,then open valve on the other side of MH everything comes out like it should.and tank reads EMPTY like it should.Problem is solved.Thanks again .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom