Ballancing Beads for tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA_Boy

I'm having the Borg metal valve kit installed on my rims and I'm also going to bead balancing rather than lead weights.
For the Sprinter 3500 Dually tires (215/85R16) it seems that 6 OZ. per tire is recommended.  Since I'm having heavier metal valves and getting rid of the rubber ones installed should I go to 7 or 8 OZ. beads.
Your opinions are appreciated.
Marvin

Make sure also to install the filtered valve cores, otherwise sounds like you're good to go. Had beads installed in mine 3 years ago, happy with the results.

GA_Boy said:
I'm having the Borg metal valve kit installed on my rims and I'm also going to bead balancing rather than lead weights.
For the Sprinter 3500 Dually tires (215/85R16) it seems that 6 OZ. per tire is recommended.  Since I'm having heavier metal valves and getting rid of the rubber ones installed should I go to 7 or 8 OZ. beads.
Your opinions are appreciated.
Marvin
Go with what the manufacture recommends. They know what's best.

I have used a product called Equal which is sand. I'm sure same theory as balancing beads. As previously mentioned change the valve core. I'm not sure how fine balancing beads are but people who have used the Equal complain it's difficult to check tire pressure and although with proper valve cores it will not clog and later leak it does restrict flow . The simple solution to that is give a little shot of air to clear away from the valve.
As for amount,  the size your tires  are which is the same as my pick up the tire shop put 3 oz. each and it was perfect.
Again if you don't clear the valve your reading might be lower than actually is.

I don't know why you would think that valve type changes the amount of balancing material needed. That is driven by the size of the tire, not the vale stem design. Stick with whatever the balancer manufacturer recommends for that size tire.

I have been using balance beads for over 5 years.

They work very well with trailer tires.  The use of the beads balances the entire assembly as the brake drums on trailers are not balanced.

On my truck and trailer I have the tires balanced with traditional  weights for the dynamic part of the unbalance.  Then the balance beads do a fine balance and compensates during the tire wear.

lavarock1210 said:
On my truck and trailer I have the tires balanced with traditional  weights for the dynamic part of the unbalance.  Then the balance beads do a fine balance and compensates during the tire wear.

Traditional weights plus beads? Is that a necessity or overkill?

Gary RV Roamer said:
I don't know why you would think that valve type changes the amount of balancing material needed. That is driven by the size of the tire, not the vale stem design. Stick with whatever the balancer manufacturer recommends for that size tire.
The stem from the inside tire is 3" long rubber and the replacement is 6" metal with metal nut so there is a difference in weight needed.
Same for the outside tire except it has a 135* bend.
The information is that tire size dictates the amount of beads, however they don't differentiate between the different stem weights and my knowledge of physics tells me there is a difference.
This is why I am going to add one more oz. of beads to each rear tire.
Marvin

GA Boy :
You may never know why but it will work. If you feel better with extra it will still balance and you will sleep better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom