Basement Air Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Canfield said:
Exactly. They are just plain old start/run capacitors. I took pictures of mine and then researched the various numbers on the can and quickly found replacements.

Side note - I carry a spare control board for my basement air, I was concerned they might become unavailable at some point in the future.

that is why I did away with the board and use individual components. easier to carry spares and cheaper too.  Those control boards just cant take any kind of power surge.

Got and replaced all of the start and run capacitors.  Not the fix.  RV tech came out this morning.  Good news is compressors are starting up and running but the fan that cools the condensers is not coming on.  He is getting an additional capacitor for the indoor and outdoor blower to see if that fixes it.  I think that's what he called it. I'll keep you posted.  He is confident the unit can be fixed.  Keeping my fingers crossed.
Jon

Isn't the fan start capacitor accessed from the same area?  I was actually recommending you replace all of those capacitors while you're in there but I should have been more specific. That's very good news the compressors are starting and running.

The fan capacitor is in the same area.  I chose not to replace it because the indoor fans were running properly.  The tech replaced that capacitor and still not working. What the diagram on that access door calls the outdoor blower is what is not running.  Ordered a new motor for that and it will be replaced Friday morning.  Am hopeful and pretty confident this will fix it. Thanks for all the replys.

Would it be prudent to bring the jacks up when the tech comes to replace the basement AC blower motor?  The AC unit has to come out to get to the motor.

I'm surprised your blower motor itself is one of the culprits. The tech is going to need a lift table or a platform to scoot the unit on, jacks up or down shouldn't make a difference unless he uses a stationary table - then you might need to use the jacks to raise/lower to meet the height of the table/platform.

Blower motor replaced today by a mobile tech with my help for the muscle.  All is good again.  It's a wonderful 72 degrees in the motor home. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Jon

I should clarify a bit.  The Tech said it could be the blower motor capacitor located on top of the motor.  However, since the entire unit had to be removed and opened up to get to that capacitor he gave me the option of checking the capacitor and if that was not the fix he would order the motor which would have been another couple of days with no AC.  I told him to just order the motor and capacitor and install both. So, it could have been a bad motor capacitor.  Just happy it is fixed.
Jon

Wizard46 said:
There is a troubleshooting procedure that can be downloaded at
www.rvp.com

The only thing I found at that link is links to other advertisers.  Does anyone else have a link to the basement air troubleshooting guide? Don't need it now, just like to be prepared, "just in case"!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom