Basic questions about dogs and the RV life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"weagle" (cross between a dachschund and a beagle). 

We had a beagle/dachshund mix when I was in high school - I inherited him when Mom & Dad went full-timing. I didn't know there was a name for the mix - weagle? Anyway, Jake had the worst traits of both breeds, he bayed like a beagle and howled any time he was left alone. He hated other dogs. And he lived to 17.

Wendy said:
We had a beagle/dachshund mix when I was in high school - I inherited him when Mom & Dad went full-timing. I didn't know there was a name for the mix - weagle? Anyway, Jake had the worst traits of both breeds, he bayed like a beagle and howled any time he was left alone. He hated other dogs. And he lived to 17.

It must be the name "Jake"

I once had a yellow lab named Jake that had none of the Lab qualities that made us love labs, we have had 4. I also inherited a Border Collie named Jake and he is also not at all like my other 2 Border Collies. Now I hear your story and I am thinking maybe the name is the cause ;D

We have a Chawenie now as the small house dog and she is the best dog we have ever had. Sheds alot though.

We have mini-schnauzers, they don't shed, are friendly and intelligent, but they do need to be trained... or most owners need to be trained, (I'm never sure who gets the most out of training sessions the dog or the owner/handler)?

Walks are a must, and in some areas around here there are watershed rules that prohibit walking dogs, I've always wondered how the forest rangers stop the bears and other animals from using the woods for their natural function, but dogs are not allowed?

So if you want a dog and can take responsibility I'd say go for it, get something you like the look of and don't feel is too frufru and you can stand being seen picking up after.

I have lived with a neighbor who has a poodle mix, small yappy dog that he likes to let out of his place to take a dump in my front yard, if I wasn't such a nice guy, I'd get a 5 ton truck of BS and dump it in the middle of his lawn.

He won't pick up after his dog, and sends it out of his yard to cr4p in mine and the other 4 neighbors, I've tried to dissuade it with sprays etc. but being a responsible owner would alleviate a lot of local tension.

I can't understand folks sometimes!

Shovel it up and put it on the dog owner's lawn, or on his doorstep.

...or buy a pair of disposable latex gloves and a slingshot.  When teamed with a six pack of beer they could provide an afternoon of entertainment as you try to "deposit the deposits" on the side of your neighbor's place.  :)

I would highly recomend  a boston terrier,  very affectionate,  loyal, obediante, we have two, both from rescue shelters,
they announce someone at the door, then go back to sleeping,  love to curl up with you on the couch, and will look at you like "you know I want to go outside"  when they need to do their business, very easily taught to sit, stay, shake, roll over, etc.
you'll fall for them just like we did, good luck!

this is Lucy and Timmy

Attachments

• 335.JPG
    335.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 336.JPG
    336.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 11
I'm with Wendy, check out animal shelters and  really recommend Best Friends Animal shelter in Kanab Utah, we volunteered there for a month last year and saw many dogs of all sizes and shapes that had been trained and socialized and were up for adoption, (Witch you have to qualify for). You can take the dog out for a day and see how you they interact with you or every day for a week
Check out their web site  It is a very interesting and beautiful place and we will be going back this year
www.bestfriends.org/

This will be our first trip with our 14 year old kitty.  She doesn't do well when we leave.  I have went on several trips and she lost weight and won't have anything to do with other people.  She is strictly an inside cat so this will be interesting.

Sue Anne and I have stayed in the MH the last 2 nights with her but not tonight.  I just went out and she was sitting up on the dash looking out. The dog knows something is going on and he isn't happy, but I think if I left him alone with her, she and the MH might not survive.

The motorhome mattress and couch are comfortable, but I'm so used to my wonderful Tempurpedic bed I don't sleep well in others anymore.  Wish I could take it with me.  I have reflux and sleep elevated and with the massage on most of the time. I will miss my bed and I think kitty will too, she likes the massage function also. :)

We have 2 dogs. One is a pug/lhaso mix - Gizmo (30lbs) & the other is an american bulldog - Ozzy (70 lbs). No major problems with them travelling in our 23' class C. (Had 4 people & the 2 dogs on our main summer trip). Only issue we have is that Ozzy is kind of nervous with strangers & Gizmo thinks that he needs to protect him! We are working with them but they are definetely works in progress!

I've got a lot of great answers except for one of my questions.  Does it make sense to have two dogs to keep each other company when I'm not around.

(A friend has a toy Chihuahua and a Rottweiler.  She can't leave them alone together as she's pretty sure the Rotty will chew on the Chihuahua.)

yes it is best to have company for your dog... another one is best. We have 2 dogs that get a long very well and they spend a lot of time with a friends dog as well
Ttraining is the answer or socalization trained is even better

Foxysdad said:
yes it is best to have company for your dog... another one is best. We have 2 dogs that get a long very well and they spend a lot of time with a friends dog as well
Ttraining is the answer or socalization trained is even better
Thanks for confirming my thoughts in that area.  And yes I do realize that training for both the boss, me, and the dogs is exceedingly appropriate.

Tony (who used to consider himself an alpha geek but now thinks he is an uber geek.  Hmm, maybe not.  After reading the definition at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=uber-geek)

Carolyn, we bought a foam mattress topper from Costco and it's wonderful.  We find our bed in the RV just as comfortable as our more expensive bed at home.  If you're lucky you can get one on sale there.

Hi,
We have a large Papillon (9.5 lb.). They are demanding, but rewarding dogs if you have the time. They train easily, but you had better do the training! We've found that Toby HATES a muzzle (offends his dignity) and a few times with it cured barking tendencies (at least until the UPS man pulls in). We've been complimented on his restraint when in a campground and people walk by the MH. He house trained easily, but definitely has an internal clock; up at 6:00 AM +/- 15 min.
We'd probably get another one if we ever had to get another dog, but you need to know what you are getting into.
Ernie

.Did I mention you had better be sure to do the training?

Carolyn,

Ruth is right.  We also bought a "memory foam" topper for our motor home mattress and it is GREAT.  So great that we got one for our bed at home to put on top of our very expensive mattress.  You can get them at Costco.

Tony,

One word of caution about getting 2 dogs.  If you get 2 puppies at the same time; especially if they are litter mates, they often develop a stronger bond between themselves than with you; and they are sometimes more difficult to train.  It's the pack mentality.  If I were wanting 2 dogs, I'd get one first, get it trained then introduce the 2nd dog.  That way you are always pack leader.  I learned this from several dog training classes. 

I could also see this with the training sessions when people brought 2 dogs.  Both the human parents would each take a dog and "try" to participate in the classes.  All the dogs wanted to do was to be with each other.  The trainers suggestion was to take each puppy to separate training classes.

Marsha~

Forgot something, 

Carolyn,
we also travel with 2 cats.  When we got the coach, we put the cats in and did short little jaunts just so they would get used to the motion.  Ours do very-very well in the coach.  We don't crate them because the ruckus they would do would drive us nuts.  However, I would suggest doing a couple of little trips for introduction. 

When we leave our home we have to travel on a windy road.  Sometimes one of the cats gets sick.  However after that initial episode, they are fine.  The maximum time we've spent on the road is a little over 4 months.  We have 80,000 miles on the coach and so do the cats; as well as international travel.  They did great!

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
One word of caution about getting 2 dogs.  If you get 2 puppies at the same time; especially if they are litter mates, they often develop a stronger bond between themselves than with you; and they are sometimes more difficult to train.  It's the pack mentality.  If I were wanting 2 dogs, I'd get one first, get it trained then introduce the 2nd dog.  That way you are always pack leader.  I learned this from several dog training classes. 

I could also see this with the training sessions when people brought 2 dogs.  Both the human parents would each take a dog and "try" to participate in the classes.  All the dogs wanted to do was to be with each other.  The trainers suggestion was to take each puppy to separate training classes.

Marsha~

Really, really good advice.

Rick

Paraphrasing an old Bill Cosby schtick - we have one dog because we don't want two. I don't think you necessarily need 2 dogs to keep each other company any more than you need 2 kids to keep each other company. We have been much better off with one dog than we ever were when we had 2 dogs. We do have to spend time with the labradork and he can be a bit demanding when he thinks it's play time but I shudder to think what it would be like with TWO dogs demanding our attention.

Wendy

In all this discussion regarding camping with dogs and/or cats, one must keep in mind this old adage:

Dogs have masters but........  cats have staff!!!!!   

Just to keep things in perspective!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom