Batteries, mixing sizes in parallel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got home and wanted to write a paper on the subject... Seems like all the mysteries have been cleared up. I agree with almost everything that has been written about it above.

All I wanted to say was that 2-6volt batteries are in series. The voltage applied has little to do with the charging rate (amps). That is controlled by the internal resistance of the batteries.

Suppose 1 or more cells in either battery is suspect, open or shorted, the consequences are unpredictable (sort of)....  trouble ahead.  The same thing will happen on a single 12V battery..same number of cells. At least with a single 12V battery you know where to look. On 2- 12v in parallel ...which one is it.?

Get out the hygrometer to find out.

Isn't RV'ing fun?

Carson FL

Does this mean you guys are polarized  ???

[quote author=carson]Get out the hygrometer to find out.[/quote]

Unless you want to measure moisture in the soil, that would be a hydrometer Carson. But we knew what you meant  ;D

Stand by for a treatise on how to measure the specific gravity in your cells  ;)

Thanks Tom, every time I work on my batteries I get "soiled". I've made that mistake before, one byte in my brain seems to be stuck.  ;D

carson

Carson,

Back in the old country, where/when female techs wore skirts to work, a tech gave me a bill for the countless pairs of pantyhose that had literally melted when she maintained a large bank of batteries. I paid the bill, and remember to this day what that thing was called  ;D

LOL, Tom... I think you could have fixed that problem if you handed them a hammer.... hammers have power to fix anything.

carson

aka Porky said:
I simply wanted to know from JFD why he so emphatically states that differences in battery capacity, physical size, etc.. were acceptable in a parallel configuration, but totally intolerable in a series configuration.

Now that everyone has taken his turn to "pee in the pool", I withdraw the question.
If your question was only intended for JFD then your best course of action would be to send him an IM.

seilerbird said:
If your question was only intended for JFD then your best course of action would be to send him an IM.

Thanks Tom.  Now I've got to clean the pool again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom