batteries not charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dizz49

The batteries on my fifth wheel will not charge when hooked up to the shore line or from the truck when towing.  They will take a full charge when I put an external  charger on them. Haven't tried with the onboard generator.  Could this be the auto transfer switch?Thanks for any information

Dizz - The charging line AND return (ground) does a very minimal job when towing. Just too far, too lite of wire etc. And at night, with the running lights on it drops even more, that pesky return path (ground) might have an extra 10 amps or so from the lights.

Depending on the electrical charger, most of the older ones do a poor job, we need to know more about what you have, age, charger, age of batteries, type etc

Trailer is a 2006 keystone Cambridge.  Batteries are 2-6 volt NAPA golf cart batteries. They are about two yeas old. I have checked the converter and have between 13 and 14 volts output. These batteries  do not charge when plugged into the shore line either. It is currently below zero here so I didn't try to start the generator. Seems as though the converter should charge them.

The external charger that I use I bought Three weeks ago.  It is  a 2,10,and 75 amp charger and will bring the batteries right up.

If the converter shows 13+ volts at the batteries (measure it - don't trust the built in battery gauge) then the converter is working.

The auto transfer switch wouldn't affect the charging alone - you would either have 120v power throughout the RV or not.

Do you have a battery disconnect switch/relay? If so, it can remove the batteries from the circuit while still allowing the converter charger to provide 12v in the house and otherwise appear to be operating normally. You could also have a big cartridge fuse (100-200 amps) protecting the battery positive feed and it could be blown.

I have 120 vac. I also have 12 vdc when the batteries are charged.  The shoreline  will not charge the batteries. nAlso the batteries don't charge at all when pulling the trailer

started onboard generator (Omon 5500 watt). Batteries will not charge with generator running either.seams the only way I can charge the batteries is to put an external auto charger on them

If you know what kind of converter you have, please post.

One possible problem is this: there are some fuses, We call them "Reverse Polarity Fuses" designed to protect the converter, and the tow vehicle when some one forgets which set of cables goes to positive and puts a battery in.... Backwards.

Alas. there are other things that can blow those fuses too, INCLUDING old age.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If the converter shows 13+ volts at the batteries (measure it - don't trust the built in battery gauge) then the converter is working.

So, with the battery cables disconnected and shore power plugged in, what's your voltage at the cables?  If there's no power at all, I'd be looking for a disconnect switch or a fuse. If there's power but it's <13 volts, I'd be looking at the converter. If there is 13+ volts, it's either the battery connections or the batteries themselves and your charger is putting only a surface charge on them. Switch or fuse seems most likely to me, but it's easy to narrow it down.

I just went thru a similar thing and did as above.  start measuring and checking.  With a volt meter it only took about 20 min to figure out it was the battery that was bad.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom