Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was talking about my house batteries.  They were group 31 AGM and yes 2015 AGM batteries should still be good, although they were actually 2014 batteries.  The rest of the story - I replaced all 8 batteries (both chassis and all 6 house).  Now why? I removed all 8 batteries and took them to the shop to have them tested.  Both chassis batteries tested at 12.2v but only 50% of their CCA.  5 of my house batteries also tested at 12.2v and one tested at 10.7v.  Hmmmm?  Two days later after spending a couple thousand dollars to replace all 8 batteries, all 8 batteries are back down to 12.2v - Urrrrgh.  Now I get in to the Magnum 2800 inverter/charger and what I find sucks but it is what it is.  The original ME-MR inverter controller that came on the bus from Winnebago from the factory had an old FIRMware version that was not compatible with the inverter.  This was a VERY well known issue to both Winnebago and Magnum.  Two years ago the unit was taken to Camping World of Raleigh for this problem and under warranty they replaced the ME-MR with a MM-RC. After several hours of testing yesterday and working with Tech Support from Magnum/Precision Circuits over the phone (Anthony is awesome!) we discovered the MM-RC that Camping World installed was a VERY old controller (over 10 years old) and of course had the old FIRMware that is incompatible with the inverter which over the past two years ruined all 8 of my batteries.  Winnebago won't provide a new controller because the replacement was done by Camping World of Raleigh.  Camping World won't replace the controller because Winnebago approved the warranty work.  Magnum/Precision Circuits won't replace the controller because it is over 10 years old even though it is on a 2015.  I ordered a new FIRMEware compatible ME-RC yesterday from Amazon for $151 and tomorrow when it arrives this issue will be resolved.  As for the over $2000 I had to spend to replace three year old batteries - well that part sucks the worst and it was a direct result of first the ME-MR controller that the bus came with and the over 10 year old lesser controller installed two years ago under warranty by Camping World.  I have attached a photo of the MM-RC that Camping World installed - it doesn't even fit the opening.

Attachments

• Inverter.docx
    186.2 KB · Views: 16
It's nothing but personal preference, but I vehemently disagree that AGM batteries are a waste of money - especially as House batteries. We're on our third Class A in 23 years, and our current coach is the first with AGMs. Literally zero maintenance, very predictable behavior, faster charging, longest lived RV batteries we've ever had and I've never once needed to equalize them. Those are all "real life" benefits that we've experienced - not just read about.

Our coach has eight AGM house batteries and two 1150 CCA chassis batteries, and they're all mounted upright, but AGMs can be mounted in any position. That, and the fact that AGMs can be installed in closed compartments with other electrical components are other benefits.

They're definitely more expensive than standard lead/acid batteries (by 2 - 3 times) and to get the most power and life out of them, a charger with AGM settings should be used, but in my subjective opinion, they're well worth the extra cost.

Kev

Gary RV_Wizard said:
No problem. Most multiple battery installations pack 'em right next to each other.

Here is one article/suggestion for upgrading the Schumacher:
http://www.bestconverter.com/Schumacher-Converter-Upgrade_ep_23-1.html
Just completed replacing all my batteries, 2 12v house and 1 12v chassis (all were the original NAPA batteries from 2010), and upgraded/replaced the schumacher converter.
Installed 4 Duracell EGC2 Group 5, 6v deep cycle for the house and a new Duracell 12v AGM for the chassis (just a bit higher in CCA than the original).
Also the Boondocker BD1260C (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger) to replace the 55A Schumacher.
Definitely a decent upgrade from stock, I think.

Take your rig to the nearest Camping World. They will determine the kind you need and install the batteries at a fair price.

phil-t said:
Also the Boondocker BD1260C (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger) to replace the 55A Schumacher.
Definitely a decent upgrade from stock, I think.

If this is of any solace, I installed a Boondocker 55A a few years back. Has performed great. Works as expected and very quiet.

Back
Top Bottom