Battery Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Windeed

I currently have one 12V battery and would like to convert over to 2 6V golf cart batteries. Is it acceptable to use a standard battery box and modify it for venting. I know the expensive sealed battery boxes are available on the internet but that is what I have now and it has been modified with holes for the cables anyway.

Thanks for your advice, I am new to RV's and have learned a lot from everyone on the forum.

Purpose built battery boxes (ie those made especially for lead acid batteries) already have the required ventilation. On mine, the way the cover fit  is designed, the ventilation is all around the top edges. However, if you plan to put them inside or in an un-ventilated compartment, don't!!! They have to be ventilated to the outside air. You don't want the potentially explosive vapours, created while charging, in an un-ventilated space.

If you dont' mind me asking, why do you want to make this change?  Deep-cycle marine batteries usually work the best for RV's, as they can withstand the drain from having load applied to them, then will rebound.

[quote author=ATVHauler]Deep-cycle marine batteries usually work the best for RV's, as they can withstand the drain from having load applied to them, then will rebound.[/quote]

Deep cycle batteries and marine/RV batteries are not the same thing. Typical 'marine batteries' perform the dual functions of engine cranking and providing 'house' power to lights and other 12 volt stuff. The ability to provide the necessary cranking amps means the plate arrangement cannot provide true deep cycle capabilities.

Deep cycle batteries, such as "golf cart batteries" are designed for continual drain and recharging.

[quote author=Windeed]Is it acceptable to use a standard battery box and modify it for venting.[/quote]

Use whatever battery box(es) you wish, assuming that the batteries will not exhaust into the interior of the RV.

FWIW I have two wooden boxes that hold the 10 golf cart batteries I installed on our boat. The boxes were built by a carpenter and were covered with epoxy inside and out to resist the effects of corrosive battery acid fumes.

Alfa38User: I understand the need for venting batteries. My current setup (fifth wheel) is vented to the outside but the battery box has holes in it for the cables so it is not a sealed box now. My question, is it ok to take a standard box and modify it so it vents to the outside. If I buy a new battery box with outside venting I will have to cut holes in it for the cables anyway.

ATVHauler: I plan to do boondocking and would like more battery capacity. My deep cycle marine battery has 115 Amp Hours and two 6 volt golf cart batteries would give me 440 Amp Hours.

[quote author=Windeed]My question, is it ok to take a standard box and modify it so it vents to the outside.[/quote]

Yes.

If I buy a new battery box with outside venting I will have to cut holes in it for the cables anyway.

You can easily seal the holes if you wish to prevent venting to the interior of the RV.

two 6 volt golf cart batteries would give me 440 Amp Hours.

When you connect those two 6V golf cart batteries in series to give you 12V, you have the same capacity as a single 6V battery. IOW the series-connected pair will have a capacity of 220 amp hours.

Here's an excellent illustrated article in our forum library on adding batteries to your RV that will explain things in more detail.

Thanks Tom for making everything clear. That is an excellent article in the Library on batteries.

Tom said:
Deep cycle batteries and marine/RV batteries are not the same thing. Typical 'marine batteries' perform the dual functions of engine cranking and providing 'house' power to lights and other 12 volt stuff. The ability to provide the necessary cranking amps means the plate arrangement cannot provide true deep cycle capabilities.

Deep cycle batteries, such as "golf cart batteries" are designed for continual drain and recharging.

My bad, meant to say RV rather than Marine batteries.  Regardless, thanks for the clarification.  I don't mean to go OT, but it seems to me that if the RV in question has an on-board generator that will need cranking power to start, wouldn't Windeed be better off with an RV battery, or going to two 12V batteries?  My trailer was factory-equipped with one battery, and I had the dealer install a second battery.  With two 12V Interstates on board, we seem to have ample power.

Yikes ATVHauler, I forgot all about the generator. You have a very good point. Maybe I am better off with two 12 volt batteries.

Update on my battery box.

Thanks for all who replied to my question. I ended up using two 12V group 27 batteries and a tool box for a battery box. The Stanley 28" Fat Max fits two group 27 batteries end to end. All I had to do was cut the plastic handle off one side of each battery for the fit. I installed two battery trays inside the box with hold downs, cut a hole in the top and bottom of the box for ventilation and installed a 1 1/2" adapter in the top hole to attach my external vent hose. An extra plus the Fat Max had was a waterproof seal around the lid so this tool box was perfect for this use. My electrical compartment was about 29" long, not much room to spare but it worked great.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom