Battery charging question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papadude

Hi, I have installed 2 new 6v costco/interstate golf cart batteries, GC2.  they are 210 ah.  I have a WFCO converter that has a float mode 13.2 Vdc.  I also installed a Victron voltmeter to monitor the batteries.  So, when the batteries are fully charged and plugged into shore power with the battery switch "on" I'm showing 13.17V and .3A, is this OK?  or will I overcharge my batteries?
thanks, Guy

While it is working as designed, I would not store the RV for more than a month or so with the float voltage at 13.7.  With 13.7 volts I would be concerned about boiling the water out of the batteries in long term storage.

Yes, the current dropping to 0.0 is good.  Means the batteries are fully charged. 

I had a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer  that had a magnetek/parallax converter.  That converter put out a constant 13.8 volts and it never boiled the water out.

Depending on what expert you ask, the battery type,  and what battery manufacturer's engineers you choose to believe, optimal float voltage is anywhere from 13.1 to 13.6v. The important thing is that it is not enough to push current into the battery, i.e. the battery takes only as much current as it wants. A smart charger is supposed to be monitoring battery voltage in the float stage so that it is never pushing at a higher voltage than the battery has reached. That keeps the voltage stable and the amperage at or near zero.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom