Battery not charging.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

For my eighbor:  their Heartland 5th wheel is not charging the batteries either on shore power or when connected to the tow vehicle.  Everything works fine while on shore power but the batteries are discharged.  Any idea of what to look for? 

I just learned yesterday to look for a cut off switch or converter switch that might be on.  I found mine and it was on.  Good luck.

Is any power getting to the battery, which is not accepting the charge?

Have you checked the output go the converter?

Is there a fuse blown somewhere blocking the power?

Have you checked the 7 pin plug on the truck for the 12V feed?  Truck may need to be running to check.

If these check out, look for a broken or disconnected wire.

Short term, a car style battery charger may bring the battery back to life.  Leaving it drained is a real problem!

If the battery doesn't charge does that also mean the dc lights and such don't work? My dad's 2008 Salem has had two battery issues. First one turned out to be that the battery had gone bad and even though it read as charged in a meter it wasn't holding any juice. The second problem was that I couldn't get any 12v appliances to work. I started researching and found out about in line breakers. These in line breakers are wired directly into the wiring, and in my case and probably others, usually ahead of your breaker panel. I traced the red wire off the battery under the frame of the camper and found a bank of three various in line breakers. Supposedly these are able to trip and reset themselves but for whatever reason this one went bad. I replaced all three just for safety sakes and everything has worked peachy now.

My best guess is the main circuit breaker.. Start at the batteries when plugged in and use a test light. Start with the clip on the frame. if possible go to  a known good 12 volt point (Light is bright) to confirm the clip position.. NOw starting at the battery positive terminal move out along the positive wire.. It should be dark or very dim with batteries discharged.. Every time you come to a "Device" or Connection check both sides... Eventually it will light.

If it lights bright at the positive terminal move the clip to the battery

Suspect list

Tripped breaker or blown fuse
Bad connection (Negative is suspect one on the connection list) EIther end.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom