battery not working slides or power jack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qttire1

I have a 22 travel trailer with a xantrex freedom 1200 inverter. I was storing my trailer and had my battery disconnect off and charging the battery with a solar panel and renogy voyager solar charger. something happened and was getting errors on the solar charger and the battery went to 4 volts. I replaced the battery with a brand new battery and now I have the TT home I have it hooked to shore power and turned on the battery disconnect with the brand new battery and cant get the slides or power jack to work. If I hook my truck up to the 7 way the power jack works. I am getting 13.79v to the battery. 30 amp fuse to the power jack is good. Everything was working until that battery on the solar charger went bad. It seems the shore power is charging the new battery through the inverter. Can anyone tell me other things to check to see what could be wrong. The main fuse box only has fuses for lights and all the breakers are on. Inverter shows green for shore power and when I unplug the shore power it switches over to battery led.

The make & model of your trailer is important information - please add.

There have been several Xantrex with Freedom in the name and somewhat different capabilities, but the current Freedom X 1200 is NOT a charger. It is an inverter only. If that's what you have, there must be another converter/charger handling battery charging and supplying 12v from shore power. The Freedom 458 is a combination inverter & charger and so is the Freedom HF and SW, but they don't come in the 1200W size. Please clarify which model you have.

The slides & jack are typically direct wired to the battery and have their own fuses. Since you just changed the battery, odds are strong that something wasn't wired back in correctly OR you happened to blow a fuse while doing the sway. That's a common thing.

wired back correctly is a possibility. Is it possible one of the black wires to the battery could be +12v. I put all the blacks to neg terminal.

The slides & jack are typically direct wired to the battery and have their own fuses. Since you just changed the battery, odds are strong that something wasn't wired back in correctly OR you happened to blow a fuse while doing the sway. That's a common thing.
That would be my suggestion too. Check to see if your slide is getting any power. In addition to the make/model of the RV and the inverter, also that same information for the slide mechanism would be helpful.

We had a similar problem recently and it turned out that the grounds were loose. Check for that but also check for corrosion on the connections. If you find corrosion, clean it and reconnect after applying Dielectric grease to the connections.

Is your battery wiring arrangement the same as in the picture you took before removing any wires/cables?
Ohiosnowbird is right, ~80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground. Both of your non-working items require reliable high DC voltage; like your 13.79VDC charging voltage.
What is the battery voltage at rest? Rest means at least one hour after removing the charger, and with no load connected.

Last edited:
wired back correctly is a possibility. Is it possible one of the black wires to the battery could be +12v. I put all the blacks to neg terminal.
It's possible, though maybe not likely. Color coding for DC wiring is not rigidly standardized like AC, so anything is possible. Always best to label cables before removal and/or snap a photo (but it's too late now).
What color(s) is on the Positive terminal? Some manufacturers use Red & Black, others White & Black, and who knows what a previous owner might have done?

the trailer is a 22 mesa ridge 322rls. The inverter is in fact a xantrex freedom 1200. cleaned all battery terminals last night, check continuity on grounds and they all checked out. Have 2 ground wires and 1 positive wire to battery. 13.79 when hooked in to shore power to battery, inverter show ac power. when I unplug the shore power the inverter switches to battery shows full power and reads 13.25 at the battery. Electric stabilizer jacks work the only thing that does not work is the power tongue jack and the slides. when i hook up the 7 way to my truck the power jack works.

the trailer is a 22 mesa ridge 322rls. The inverter is in fact a xantrex freedom 1200. cleaned all battery terminals last night, check continuity on grounds and they all checked out. Have 2 ground wires and 1 positive wire to battery. 13.79 when hooked in to shore power to battery, inverter show ac power. when I unplug the shore power the inverter switches to battery shows full power and reads 13.25 at the battery. Electric stabilizer jacks work the only thing that does not work is the power tongue jack and the slides. when i hook up the 7 way to my truck the power jack works.
The other part of our problem was a wiring harness had wires come loose/out here’s where I described the problem in a previous thread, look at the picture of the wiring harness LCI Leveling jacks fail - help!

Perhaps a critter chewed or a wire in one of your harnesses or somehow got defective or wiggled loose? It won’t be obvious. It’s a frustrating situation, we dealt with a similar thing for almost 2 weeks. I hope you find it!

Try using a tone generator to locate the origin of the jack wire, after accomplishing that it's easy to test each wire for continuity between ends.

Are there auto/manual reset breakers on the tongue? If there is more than one, one of them may be connected to the jack and slides.
1711036630552.png

interesting. There are some blocks on the tongue like this. I just thought they were power and ground blocks. Not sure if they are breakers. Just did a battery test and was getting 13volts but only 220 cca. I think I got a bad battery that is brand new or it has been sitting on the shelf to long. I dont have a charger for a deep cycle battery so going to try to get a new battery and see if that is the fix.

I have a midtronics battery tester for our shop we use. per optima battery they want to see the deep cycle marine batterys charging at minimum 10 amps and our charger trickle charges at 2 amp. Have been trying to call them but there phone number will not let you speak to anyone, all automated go figure. waiting for email response from them

Thanks Gwinger.... Breaker block on the postive terminals on the tongue. I didn't know there was a breaker there. reset and now slides and power jack are back to working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom