BATTERY PREFORMANCE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

I have 4 six volt golf cart batteries, 1700 watt inverter, and 3 eighty watt solar panels. The batteries are just over 5 years old, all 12 cells check in the green with a hydrometer. The system also includes a 45 watt intelligent charger.The batteries have used very lightly over the 9 past months and during their last usage they did not preform well ( performance is judged by the length of time it takes for the television to draw down the battery voltage to 12.2  volts ) during our non camping periods the system is plugged into land power. Twice during the life of the batteries I have pulled the batteries and put a heavy charge on them. In checking the performance today in prep for a trip the batteries pulled down to 12.2 volts in a matter 5 to 10 minutes. When new they would last 2 to 3 hours.  Why such poor performance now ????

You have classically described your batteries as being sulfated to the point that their capacity has been depleted to a point where they can't support your 12 volt system requirements...

Short version: Time to replace your batteries!

GC 6 volt batteries are built with robust plates that don't usually fail - hence your 'good' hydrometer reading, and 'good' voltage reading till you start using them off the grid...

Check out the ends of the batteries - as the sulfate builds up on the plates, the ends of the cases will become noticeably 'bulged' (convex) and hard as a rock when you tap on them (good batteries will have some 'flex' on their case ends)...

Most Deep Cycle batteries you find at common suppliers, these days, are good for about 4 - 6 years in RV service, where there are usually long periods of time in storage and inactivity...

Like many things in our lives...Use em' or lose em'... ;)

Be sure to look for the 225 Amp Hour versions of GC batteries for replacements...Your local battery specialty shop can usually be a big help with straight info, replacements, and some even will install em' for you at a cheaper rate than an RV shop... :D

If your really take care of them good you can get upwards of 10-12 years... My stick house is battery powered by 8 6V batteries weighing in at 1,000 pounds total.

Even the batteries in my Dodge Cummins I got 10 years (2002-2012) from those stock batteries before I gave up on them and replace them just last week.

It all based on how you maintain the charge and the electrolyte levels. So the whole 3-5 year thing is a very short life span in my eyes and can be extended if you study up on batteries and what makes them happy.

Agree with all above. Major contributing factors of sulfation could be charging technique and (often over looked) ambient operation temperature of the batteries. Though you have an "intelligent charger", your charger may never be providing a desulfation charge (aka pulse conditioning or equalization charge) to the battery system. The solar panels don't necessarily help either since this is a non-quantifiable charge profile. Couple this with battery operation outside optimal operating temperature (usually 77'F) and you'll see the battery performance you described. High heat will affect battery performance much quicker than cold.

Not saying you can do anything about operating temperature... it's just part of the game with batteries.

I know you said you have put "heavy charge" on the batteries... you might see increase battery performance by desulfation charging more frequently (you might not too). If I understand what you said correctly, your connected to land power all the time when not in use. Many recent DC charging product lines are going away from constant trickle or float charge and electing a monthly equalization charge for a few days and then once the battery system reaches anticipated amp / volt curve... the charger turns off for the remaining cycle or until the voltage reaches a specified low and then the cycle re-starts.

Either way... five years is pretty good for lead acid batteries in outdoor (unconditioned environment) where I come from.

Mopar,
What brand batteries did you use at the home 20?  I am thinking Trojans. 

Also, what did your supplier hit you for per battery?  I know they are not cheap by any means.  My group 27's are getting to the point where they are getting due for replacement.  They were one year young when purchased and are 6 years young now.  Still working fine at the moment due to what you described in your last post.  I'm a believer. 

Wondering if the cost of what I can get the 27's for is even close to making it worth while for me to invest in a 6v system?

denmarc said:
Mopar,
What brand batteries did you use at the home 20?  I am thinking Trojans. 

Also, what did your supplier hit you for per battery?  I know they are not cheap by any means.  My group 27's are getting to the point where they are getting due for replacement.  They were one year young when purchased and are 6 years young now.  Still working fine at the moment due to what you described in your last post.  I'm a believer. 

Wondering if the cost of what I can get the 27's for is even close to making it worth while for me to invest in a 6v system?

Here is the monsters I got for the stick house... (8 of them in total)
http://www.trojanbatteryre.com/PDF/datasheets/L16H_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

Boy I'd love to have a pair of these on the tongue of the Jayco...  :p

"Monsters" is the right term!  I was right guessing Trojans.  I just wasn't thinking 125 lbs. each.  I should have if I would have thought about the application.  Two of these would do me just fine I think.  Being a permanent, you got me thinking in a couple different directions.  May I ask the cost per each?

Back
Top Bottom