battery question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fltioga

i have 12v power going to my house  battery cables  even with the shore power cord unplugged .  i found out the hard way when i removed the house battery yesterday.  why would power be feeding from the chassis battery? 

Can you elaborate a bit? As long as those cables are connected to the house batteries, they will have 12v+ on them. Are you saying there was power after you disconnected from the house batteries? If so, that suggests that somewhere there is a device that is connected to both house and chassis systems.  Some fairly common examples are LP detectors, radios and CB units. Sometimes people think its good idea to have power from both sources so that they always work no matter what, but the downside of that is that the house system can drain the chassis batteries through that connection.

Is it possible that what you observed was a spark on the ground side? Both house and chassis systems share the same ground - the chassis itself.

yes i had disconnected the cables to the house battery and was removing the battery  when the pos. cable touched the cassis and  big spark accurred, i tested the cables with my multimeter and have 12 volts on the  cables.  so i went and discconected the chassis battery  and that killed  all power.  the whole time the shore power cord is unplugged.  i do have  a radio /cd  and a dvd player in  the rv maybe thats  where  the crossover is.

I suspect a previous owner has shorted the two battery systems together to obtain charging from all sources or your Aux-Start/Emergency start switch or solenoid is shorted.

If I assume, by your screen name that your rig is a Fleetwood Tioga, then the batteries should be isolated via a diode isolator.

thanks lou,  i now have a  02  r vision b+  trail lite  that i just got so im learning about it. i can see the box containing the  solenoids  so ill look it over some more. 

There are two possible answers, one is listed above (Previous owner).

The other:  Some isolators (For example the Intelletec system I have) sense not the status of the ignition lead, or the conoverter, but actually measure voltage, IF the voltage is say 13.5 or better, ON EITHER battery, the system assumes a charger is in operation and connects them together,

Thus, till the surface charge bleeds off,, they remain connected.

thanks, i do have an intelletec  isolator  so that sounds like what is happening, when i checked the voltage i did have 13.5 volts on each battery.

I kind of wondered about it when doing some battery work.. Thus, I ask the expert when I visited the factory due to another issue  (Damon factory that is). 

IT would be nice if they gave you ALL the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom