BC Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As of a few years back you could still get passports in a day. There were expediting companies who would do it for a huge fee. I worked in aerospace, and when a critical issue came up and the engineer didn’t have a passport, things happened. It was rare, but only because the company paid for passports on a regular basis if they even thought you might be needed to support an international program. They paid for mine for years, but I eventually had to renew it on my own nickel after retirement.

As you know I worked and lived overseas for close to 30 years for a pretty giant company. I don't think we could ever get passports same day, although when my second wife was naturalized we went from the Federal Court to the passport office and she got her US passport in like 3 days. Probably only because there was an issuing office there where we could pick it up.

I've continuously had a valid passport since I was 9. As many hoops required these days to renew or apply for a new one there is no way I am not renewing until they plant me somewhere.

I love 'merica but who knows when we would ever have to cut bait and run? - LOL
:LOL: I think if it came to that, a passport is the last thing I'd be worried about not having.

As of a few years back you could still get passports in a day. There were expediting companies who would do it for a huge fee. I worked in aerospace, and when a critical issue came up and the engineer didn’t have a passport, things happened. It was rare, but only because the company paid for passports on a regular basis if they even thought you might be needed to support an international program. They paid for mine for years, but I eventually had to renew it on my own nickel after retirement.
For many years, all I had was the red government passport because the Navy sent me "places" and it never took more than 48 hours to get a visa. Then I retired and lost that little red book, and within a couple years I wanted to take a trip to Belize. I found that as a civilian it's a real PITA to get a passport within any reasonable amount of time.

I just now remembered to check my passport, which was in my Y2K RV here.

To my surprise, it does not expire until July of 2025. Tom must have renewed his and mine just a few months before he was diagnosed with a fatal illness. Our latest passports were never used.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Yes, it's crystal clear they want visitors to have absolutely no means of self defense in their country. Yet some of us still have a natural instinct to do so. Thus we were reduced to wasp spray and a monkey wrench as our main tools of battle.

Yes, it's crystal clear they want visitors to have absolutely no means of self defense in their country. Yet some of us still have a natural instinct to do so. Thus we were reduced to wasp spray and a monkey wrench as our main tools of battle.
Last time I checked long guns were not a problem. Just do the paperwork and pay the fee. Bear spray, labeled and packaged as such, also became legal, but any “self defense” spray is not. I had no problem carrying a 12 ga pump shotgun, w/20” slug barrel and a couple boxes of shells, through Canada to AK in my little airplane some years ago. Before leaving on the trip I took the gun (in a case), to a US Customs office and got the form declaring that the piece was mine before leaving the US. IOW, I had proof that I didn’t buy the gun outside the US. Never needed that form.

Best read the latest rules.

When we traveled thru western Canada way back in 2002, our traveling partners brought a 12 gauge shotgun in their coach, properly documented for "bear protection" and Canadian permit/fee paid. We did a lot of fishing in remote areas and bears were fairly common (especially along the salmon streams). No problems except some extra inspection at border crossings, where the paperwork was verified and our coaches briefly checked for the presence of other weapons not covered by the long gun permit. Added 5-10 minutes to each border crossing into Canada.

My take is I would stay south. This late in the year nearly all the campgrounds close in the north. The ones that stay open don't have hookups. One of the clubs I belong to just had a rally at Coeur d'Alene, ID. They looked warmly dressed in the picture's and said the snow line was working it's way down the mountains.
Bill

Back in the good ol' days I made a number of trips to Saskatchewan on 2-week hunting expeditions with a friend (may he R.I.P.). We always crossed at the same place - Morgan, MT - and not on any of those trips did the Canadian Customs Agent even bother to leave the office to check any of our stuff. We pulled up, got our paperwork together, and and walked inside. He always asked the same questions -

Canuck Customs Dude Fine Officer: "Don't have any handguns?"
We'uns: "No, sir."
FO: "Don't have more than 200 rounds per firearm?"
FO: "Got current rabies vax on yer pooch?"
We'uns: "Yes, sir."
FO: "Don't have more than 1 case of beer, and/or 1 bottle of hooch each?"
FO: "Fine. Welcome to Canada! Have a safe and profitable hunt, boys! See ya on the way back, eh."

And we drove off. Of course, there was never anyone other than us there, it being a rather off-the-beaten-track crossing.

And this is a good reason.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Right, and the reason we carried the shotgun in our airplane flying BC to AK. Part of our survival gear. In fact, up until that year, AK required a firearm in the aircraft along with other required survival equipment. We had a box of birdshot and a box of slugs. Never needed it. But, like a fire extinguisher, good to have. 😉

Are you under the impression that Canadians are allowed into the US with firearms without proper paperwork?

Come to the border with proper paperwork and preparation and you can bring your long rifles in. It’s done every day by a gazillion hunters. Rifles are readily available and area sold in hardware stores and gun shops everywhere. If you need ammunition Canadian Tire tends to have the best prices.

"Canada does not accept “self-defense” as a valid reason for importing a firearm."

"When transporting your firearm and ammunition, make sure that the gun is not loaded. Store both the weapon and the ammo separately, preferably in separate parts of the vehicle."

ok, this has become a bash Canada string. Other than the rare instance of legal gun instances in Canada, the vast majority of shootings in Canada are by guns smuggled into Canada. Hence Canadians strongly support these restrictions.
OTOH, it is virtually impossible for Canadians to enter the US with a gun, or a riffle, which can be brought down if you can document it will be used in hunting, but then cannot be brought along if you are travelling in the US.
Time to close this string down.

Ed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom