BC Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don, I read a news report today that currently there are 400 wildfires in BC. You should look into their locations as many are not under control.

Ed

Maybe I'm not understanding your statement, but no one buying a firearm legally has to purchase it in their state of residence.
If buying from another state, you need to pick it up at your local FFL in your home state. Much like as if you purchased it there. I have a local FFL I can legally use in two different states, unlike most people.

IOW, I can buy a gun legally in CA and pick it up there. Same for Nevada. Any other state I will have to have it shipped to either CA or NV to my local FFL, to be sure all my local laws are met.

-Don- Reno, NV

If buying from another state, you need to pick it up at your local FFL in your home state. Much like as if you purchased it there. I have a local FFL I can legally use in two different states, unlike most people.

IOW, I can buy a gun legally in CA and pick it up there. Same for Nevada. Any other state I will have to have it shipped to either CA or NV to my local FFL, to be sure all my local laws are met.

-Don- Reno, NV
That's my point, Don. I can legally buy a firearm from a dealer or person in another state; I don't have to have it shipped to an FFL in my home state. I can drive across the line from Arkansas into Oklahoma - or Texas, or Arizona - and legally buy a gun from an FFL dealer there. Or buy from an individual face-to-face and make the transaction through an FFL there. There is no special need to have government-issued ID from more than one state in order to purchase a firearm in any state as long as the laws are followed of both your home state and the state where you are buying the firearm.

Per federal law, the only time a person can legally buy a firearm from an individual without going through an FFL is face-to-face in their home state between individuals who both reside in the same state.

Maybe just go to Utah instead...

Besides, October can be iffy if you're planning on Coastal BC (wet and gray), and it starts to get cold that far North, inland..

I can drive across the line from Arkansas into Oklahoma - or Texas, or Arizona - and legally buy a gun from an FFL dealer there.
Only if you have it shipped to your own state. No way can you buy it legally from any other state without it being shipped to your own state.

See here.

"Yes, you can purchase a firearm online (or in person) from a Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer (FFL) out of state and have it shipped to a FFL dealer in your home state. However, you must take possession of the firearm in your home state and the sale must comply with your state’s laws."

And this even includes private gun sales. No exceptions on this law when dealing with a different state other than your home state.

But I have two home states, with all the correct documentation. But few people do.

-Don- Reno, NV

I can legally buy a firearm from a dealer or person in another state; I don't have to have it shipped to an FFL in my home state. I
The next time you're in a different state, try it! If you succeed, both of you have broken federal law. But you will not be able to do it anyway from any legit place.

And this includes private sales. Pick it up in your home state or federal laws have been broken.

-Don- Reno, NV

Only if you have it shipped to your own state. No way can you buy it legally from any other state without it being shipped to your own state.

See here.

"Yes, you can purchase a firearm online (or in person) from a Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer (FFL) out of state and have it shipped to a FFL dealer in your home state. However, you must take possession of the firearm in your home state and the sale must comply with your state’s laws."

And this even includes private gun sales. No exceptions on this law when dealing with a different state other than your home state.

But I have two home states, with all the correct documentation. But few people do.

-Don- Reno, NV
OK, I think you're specifically referring to handguns which have a plethora of rules surrounding them. For long guns:

Federal law places somewhat looser restrictions on the sale or transfer of long guns like rifles and shotguns across state lines. Under federal law, individuals can lawfully obtain a long gun from a seller or transferor in another state, provided that:

• Both parties meet in person to conduct the sale or transfer.
  • The sale or transfer is conducted by, or through, a licensed dealer, pursuant to a background check and other requirements.
  • The sale, delivery, and receipt of the long gun fully comply with state law in both parties’ states of residence
And for any firearm (handgun or long gun):
ATF.go (see attachment)

...an unlicensed individual may sell or transfer any firearm to an individual over the age of 18 who resides in the same State, provided that he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.

Attachments

• 0813-firearms-top-12-qas.pdf
    68.1 KB · Views: 1
OK, I think you're specifically referring to handguns which have a plethora of rules surrounding them. For long guns:
In your own link:

"from unlicensed sellers within the same state. "

Yes, I know long guns are a little different, but not by much. Has to meet the same laws for the state you're from, as well as the state you're in, if both states allow it.

-Don- Reno, NV

In your own link:

"from unlicensed sellers within the same state. "

Yes, I know long guns are a little different, but not by much. Has to meet the same laws for the state you're from, as well as the state you're in, if both states allow it.

-Don- Reno, NV
Don, handguns are are whole 'nother ballgame. But my point is that federal law says that any firearm can be sold between individuals of the same state without going through an FFL as long as the seller has no reason to believe that the buyer is legally prohibited from purchasing a firearm (it's an individual decision left to the seller). And federal law says that anyone can go to another state and buy a long gun from any FFL as long as the sale meets the rules/laws of both the state the firearm is being sold in, and the state that the buyer is a resident of.

I can't keep up with all the myriad state laws governing firearms sales, I only know the federal ones.

Don, handguns are are whole 'nother ballgame. But my point is that federal law says that any firearm can be sold between individuals of the same state without going through an FFL as long as the seller has no reason to believe that the buyer is legally prohibited from purchasing a firearm (it's an individual decision left to the seller). And federal law says that anyone can go to another state and buy a long gun from any FFL as long as the sale meets the rules/laws of both the state the firearm is being sold in, and the state that the buyer is a resident of.
Where have I said anything differently?

Yeah, I forgot there is an exception for rifles, IIRC, it had to do with hunting. But some states, such as CA, will not even allow that.

And private gun sales, even within the same state is not legal in California or Nevada as well as several other states. Many are trying to make this a federal law.

-Don- Reno, NV

I can't keep up with all the myriad state laws governing firearms sales, I only know the federal ones.

Yeah, I forgot there is an exception for rifles, IIRC, it had to do with hunting. But some states, such as CA, will not even allow that.

And private gun sales, even within the same state is not legal in California or Nevada as well as several other states. Many are trying to make this a federal law.

Not for nothing guys but you do see what a serious thread creep you've started.

This thread should have zero to do with gun laws.

Etiquette says y'all go to DMs and hash it out there privately.

-Don- Reno, NV
I believe private gun sales are legal in Nevada, but a federal background check, through a licensed dealer, is required. IOW, every sale in NV requires a background check.

I believe private gun sales are legal in Nevada, but a federal background check, through a licensed dealer, is required. IOW, every sale in NV requires a background check.
Yeah, what I meant was "private" without dealing with a licensed dealer. However, only one NV county voted in favor of it, but that one county was Clark, which has a higher population than all other NV counties combined.

It all started when Bloomberg was running for president and needed issues to run with.

Now we have "2nd amendment sanctuary counties" where this law is not enforced.

IMO, Clark County should be part of CA instead of NV. Or even Canada . . . .

-Don- Reno, NV

Yeah, what I meant was "private" without dealing with a licensed dealer. However, only one NV county voted in favor of it, but that one county was Clark, which has a higher population than all other NV counties combined.

It all started when Bloomberg was running for president and needed issues to run with.

Now we have "2nd amendment sanctuary counties" where this law is not enforced.

IMO, Clark County should be part of CA instead of NV. Or even Canada . . . .

-Don- Reno, NV
Sorry, All, we’re a long way from BC Canada!

Wife and I have been Clark Co. residents for just over a year. Already voted in one election. We’re doing our part to make things better ;)

This thread should have zero to do with gun laws.
Not quite zero. I think Canada always askes about guns when you enter. Last time I was asked if I were familiar with Canadian gun laws. My reply was "I know they are a lot stricter in Canada than in the USA".

Then they ask stuff such as when was the last time I had a gun in my motorhome. I said "never" which was true at that time. But I have carried a handgun in my RV, sometimes, since then, when I am sure I will not leave the USA. I have not left the USA since Tom died in year 2016. We used to enter Canada a lot before then. Our last RV trip was in 2013 to Toronto. That was a great trip.

-Don- Reno, NV

Hey it's your thread but the original post was about travel documents.
That has already been well covered. Not much more to say about the docs.

Other than I need to see if my passport has expired, which I will know in a few days when I am back in Auburn.

Maybe I will look into renewing it. That used to be Tom's job to take care of such things to do with travelling. BTW, when he worked at Bechtel in San Francisco his job was passports and visas for employees going overseas (Mostly to Saudi Arabia) and he could get passports with visas in the same day.

-Don- Reno, NV

Maybe I will look into renewing it. That used to be Tom's job to take care of such things to do with travelling. BTW, when he worked at Bechtel in San Francisco his job was passports and visas for employees going overseas (Mostly to Saudi Arabia) and he could get passports with visas in the same day.

As you know I worked and lived overseas for close to 30 years for a pretty giant company. I don't think we could ever get passports same day, although when my second wife was naturalized we went from the Federal Court to the passport office and she got her US passport in like 3 days. Probably only because there was an issuing office there where we could pick it up.

I've continuously had a valid passport since I was 9. As many hoops required these days to renew or apply for a new one there is no way I am not renewing until they plant me somewhere.

I love 'merica but who knows when we would ever have to cut bait and run? - LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g-man911
Back
Top Bottom