Beaver Patriot Thunder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redman

After two years of being footloose and on the road, my wife and I had thought that an upgrade to a tag axle diesel pusher of an older but "classier" model might be the way to, might also be a help to my 'White knuckle " mountain driving.

Anyway, it is taking a lot of searching to find a used unit that is an upgrade from our 2008 Georgetown XL 378. There are very few good floor plans out there and sometimes I think a computer programmer has designed the floor plan when offered the chance to up to 40,43 or 45 ft. More bloat.

We narrowed our favorite down to 2005 Beaver Patriot-a 40 footer that I would have bought but the tag-diesel combination left no net gain to basement carrying capacity. The other was a same year Beaver in the Vicksburg model-the 42 ft gave the storage I wanted.

But since this was the first time I have dealt with a dealership, I was astounded by the arrogance and deceit of a the sales team. From the 'I don't know" answer to every question I asked, the lost service records even though the dealership had sold the unit in 2006, and the pressure to make a deal BEFORE they would take me on a test drive, even with their own driver.

Every thing looked good except for a slobbery breather on the C13 engine, a roof with indentations and the Alladin system wiped clear of the computerized mileage or engine hrs-the generator had 1800 hrs which gave me a feeling that it didn't match the 48000 Miles on the odometer.

Was I wrong to walk-even with my wife screaming that she wanted it for mother's day(it was cheaper to buy her a night out with flowers.)

What kind of roof does the 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder have-what would have failed that would allow a 8ft long by 2 ft wide indentation in the roof that has a water height line, looks like it holds water and no signs of water damage inside.

Sure want a beaver-but not one that is a money trap.

You did the correct thing by walking. There is no way I would buy an Rv without driving it first. I would not accept it with the roof like that either. There are way too many RVs for sale in this country to put up with being treated like that. I am jealous. I wish I could afford a Beaver.

You did the right thing. When we bought our used motorhome, we drove it first. I took the salesman on a 30 minute trip. I wanted to get a good feel for it. We saw the available service records dating back 5 years. When something doesn't feel right, it usually isn't.

I'd love a Beaver also but not from a dealer.  For the sort of reasons you suggested.  Work on Craig's List and you will eventually find one.  Have a local RV mechanic go over it and then you'll know.  If the owner resists, take that as him not wanting you to find out what he already knows.  Like the dealership.  There are some out there and you only need one.  Do a Google for SearchTempest and you can check CL for the whole country.

That roof depression would alarm me too - there is no trivial explanation for that condition that I can conceive of. I think its a fiberglass roof.

We have 1851 hours on our generator and only 64k miles on the odometer. Just means we use the genny a lot, mostly for house air conditioning while traveling. It also adds up quickly if the owner boondocks much, e.g. attends car races, equestrian events or music festivals.

As for the sales staff, all I can say is that professionalism is not widespread among RV sales people. Or their bosses. It's not fair to tar all of them with the brush, but what you encountered is all too common. An educated buyer is likely to know more about the product than the sales person, and a meticulous buyer is likely to be frustrated by the lack of concern over a complex and expensive product.

I've never understood why dealerships won't let you test drive, or at least take you on a test drive.  When putting down that kind money I expect to be able to drive the thing.  I walked out several times over this.

You will find that in a lot of smaller dealerships, there is no one qualified to drive larger motorhomes. And those people sure don't want to experiment with a customer whose skills are unknown. Sounds goofy, but it's true! The smart ones have a practice route close by that is not overly intimidating.

At six to eight miles to a gallon, many dealers don't like to leave any extra fuel in them or pay to have tire kickers burn it. Not smart to fail to budget for that kind of activity, but it happens.

It takes a very patient and persistent customer to buy a large motorhome; it ain't easy, but it sure is rewarding if done well!

skyking4ar2 said:
It takes a very patient and persistent customer to buy a large motorhome; it ain't easy, but it sure is rewarding if done well!

This is very true!

You wouldn't buy a car without taking it for a test drive so what would make them think someone would buy a motorhome without a test drive?  I wouldn't deal with them if they won't do a test drive, even without the other issues.

ArdraF

No test drive,by by. The next big thing is DO NOT Singh anything or give them any money before you are COMPLEATLEY happy with the unit. Once you give them money or Singh the paperwork you have lost a lot of leverage. Some dealers are good some can't remember ever talking to you if you have a problem
Bill

Takes a bit of  the anxiety away that maybe I was too jumpy, but during my farming days I bought a lot of machinery more valuable than a motorhome, and sometimes from a no nothing salesman, but he and the dealership were selling security as well as their machine and made me feel comfortable-only time I was ever conned was by a Cabinet maker who fled in the night taking his tools and my cabinets with him-live and learn.

Haven't been through every maker,model and year yet but with a going over dozens of Newmars and Monacos, haven't found anything that fits as well as our current mh or those Beavers-will keep up looking for more Beavers but also have a trip lined up to see a Holiday Rambler-floor plan looks good and the interior layout looks good from pictures but have to see ----

Am finally within a stone throw of Saskatchewan-parks are opening and I hope the snow season is over=best of luck to all fellow MH livers and users.

Larry N. said:
That seems odd -- so they cannot move them once on the lot until someone buys them? Hmmm...

Nah, they might have at least one mechanic that can/will but would rather avoid it if he is not around or busy. Kinda stooopid though....

Now it is starting to make since-the people with nothing to do(salesmen) aren't licensed to drive them and as a consequence they would have to bring in a driver or take someone who is busy (mechanic) off his work.

A test drive could potentially cost them a few bucks and that they would want to avoid.

Solution-get salesmen who know something1

Depends on which state you are in and how big the RV is.  In Texas you have to have a Class B Non-Commercial license to drive an RV over 26,000 pounds GVWR, which the Beaver would fall into.

Dan

Dan Walters said:
Depends on which state you are in and how big the RV is.  In Texas you have to have a Class B Non-Commercial license to drive an RV over 26,000 pounds GVWR, which the Beaver would fall into.

Dan
You are right Dan, I forgot all about that.

Redman
Good idea to expand your search a little. Looking at a Holiday Rambler is a good idea. You will get a look at another floor plan and see if it fits your lifestyle. Or you'll have to travel a little further to see another Beaver Patriot Thunder. Just remember, the hunt is as fun as the buy.

Sellerbird and all.

The difference with most Diesel units is that they have air brakes which require an air brake endorsement in many jurisdiction. If you go to a tag axle there is also often a special license class for three axles. So the "driver" would require more than a plain white bread license.
In any case I have my class 1a which gives me authorization for all vehicle classes except buses.

Have a good one.

Back
Top Bottom