Beginner guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had a couple of bridges pulled off & repaired.  It was a matter of weeks, not hours in both cases.

But my intention was not to step on your toes Tom.  Just offering support.

... my intention was not to step on your toes Tom.  Just offering support.

I took it the way it was intended, and a big thanks. I was just confused by the term "saddle".

I have to say that I'm really enjoying the sound and feel of the Yamaha with the Elixir strings. It's going to be a while before muscle memory kicks in, but I'm looking forward to accompanying myself on guitar.

Meanwhile, uke band practice starts in just over a week; That's when my brain will fry. Last year, I learned to play banjo during the summer hiatus and, when our uke season re-started, I caught myself playing banjo chords on a uke. Didn't take long to get myself straightened out, but I suspect this year will be deja vu all over again  ;D

Tom,

Here's something you might enjoy.  Dr. Sparkles and his Mom.  I've known both for many years and never knew she could play clarinet!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_8JW_siG5rc

Thanks. Wish I could play without a lead sheet. Vocals and rhythm come intuitively, and my ears tell me when chord changes are coming, but I have no clue what that next chord is. Of course, my ears tell me if I play a wrong chord  :eek:

And everyone else knows too!  ;)

I spend many hours every summer making lead sheets for my workshops.  You're not alone.

I've created and modified my share of lead sheets, but I have to find the 'right' chords by playing 'wrong' ones. So my lead sheets start out without chords and I add them one at a time after playing and believing what my ears tell me  :-[

Thanks. What genres? I have several thousand lead sheets here, but not necessarily ones I'd want to play on guitar.

Mostly country, some jazz standards, some rock.  And some that that defy classification.

I was speaking only of ones where I have a soft copy, I.e. Word document.  I have thousands of printed ones filed alpha-pathetically.  Meaning out of order.  It would take months to make a list of all the papers.  Big job with very little reward value.

I'm enjoying my Yamaha guitar, but wanted to get a "cheaper" one that I can "throw in the car" and not worry about it being stolen. I played an el cheapo that someone was selling, but figured I wouldn't be happy with it.

Today, while visiting my favorite music store, I played several makes/models and settled for another Yamaha. I probably should have had them put Elixir strings on, but I decided to play it for a while and have the strings changed later.

It didn't take long to figure out that the stock strings on the 'new' (inexpensive) guitar needed changing. According to the Yamaha web site, they buy their strings on bulk rolls, but I can't figure out why they'd use this el cheapo stuff on all their guitars.

This morning I Received a call from a uke band member asking if I wanted to accompany him to my favorite music store. I jumped at the opportunity and grabbed the guitar. He was having a low-G string put on his uke. I had them install the same Elixir 'light' strings I recently had them put on the other guitar. It sure sounds and feels better.

While there, I wandered into a sub-store owned by the uncle of the main store owner. He has a room full of collector and otherwise expensive guitars. He was encouraging me to pick up and play some of these wonderful instruments, but I was so paranoid that all I could do was look at the price tags. If you have $XX,000 to spend on a guitar, this is the store for you.

Trust me Tom, I know where to pay too much for a guitar.

Like this one : http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/43877/index.php

I don't doubt. This guy had a "wall of Martins".

Martins are actually relatively inexpensive compared to some of the small luthiers stuff.  I played a $20,000 Custom with the luthier who built it hovering over me.  As soon as he told me how much he wanted for it I very carefully handed it back to him and refused to even touch it.  (It actually didn't sound as good as my old workhorse Taylor grand auditorium)

On the other hand they're more affordable than RVs!  And they rarely break for no reason at all.  :eek:

The majority of instruments in this store are custom &/or made by small builders, some local. I didn't recognize most of the names. I made a comment about the $xxx inventory he was carrying, and the sub-store owner explained it was all consignment; Some from 'collectors', and some from the builders. It was all too rich for me, and I kept inching my way towards the door before I inadvertently scratched or otherwise damaged something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom