Being careful around RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utclmjmpr

On another board that I frequent, a bus conversion friend had his bus on run-up ramps,,,it stated rolling off the ramps,,,he attempted to enter the coach and apply the brakes,,,,the coach ran over and killed him............................>>>Dan

There are tragic cases like that every year. Folks get crushed under RVs or run over when one starts moving unexpectedly.  Ya can't be too careful when working around them, and few moments of extra precaution (like wheel chocks) can save a life.

And it's not just the coaches!  Be super careful on using ladders around them, especially if the surface is unsteady.  Voice of experience!

ArdraF

Also be careful when working under the RV when jacked up on concrete I have heard several stories of the concrete giving way due to hollow spots underneath. I always use boards under the jack or jack stands to spread the load over a greater area.

travellerz71 said:
Also be careful when working under the RV when jacked up on concrete I have heard several stories of the concrete giving way due to hollow spots underneath. I always use boards under the jack or jack stands to spread the load over a greater area.

Very good idea....or a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to the appropriate size.

That is one of the things I like about my Gasser... When I need to work under the thing, say stringing the coax I just bought,, no need for ramps, Jacks, Jack stands or other "Things that can fail"

Wheels on the ground does the trick, I can reach every point under the chassis with no problem wheels down.

About 20 years agaio a co worker of mine was killed when a jack stand gave way. And he got pined under the back axil of his van he was working on. He suffocated to death.    After that I thure out my cheep jack stands and got high quality units.  And to this day never go under a car with out backup blocking just in case

John From Detroit said:
That is one of the things I like about my Gasser... When I need to work under the thing, say stringing the coax I just bought,, no need for ramps, Jacks, Jack stands or other "Things that can fail"

Wheels on the ground does the trick, I can reach every point under the chassis with no problem wheels down.

I tend to agree my two trucks are tall enough that I can lay on a creeper and do everything on all fours. The only time I got to jack it up is to do axle or wheel work.

Guy in story died trying to jump into a rolling RV to stop it. Never trust parking brakes always chock wheels. I have had wife sit in it, with foot on brake, in some instances. or setting chock blocks for me while doing same. About the only time I don't use chock blocks is in a level lot while fueling. Quite often, for under carriage work, I just drive up on my 4X6 leveling blocks, and chock it. I have heavy duty jack stands, always use plywood under them and leave bottle jack in place, bearing some weight to keep it tight. The 4X6 blocks stay under the tires when on stands if I'm under it. I don't like going under it with wheels off. Brakes and wheel bearings can be done with little or no going under it. Master cylinder requires wheel off and going under it, It creates a very high pucker factor for me. I have had the jack slip lifting rear end. The 4X6 under the rear wheels prevented the rig from touching me, even with the bounce. Quite often lifting the rig takes longer than the actual work to be done. I find lifting the rear end the most dangerous. I'm kind of anal about not getting killed by my home falling on me!

If one has no experience safely jacking cars and light trucks to work on, I would hesitate to venture into jacking a heavy RV. You might not know what you don't know.

Bill

That is sad.  I always chock the wheels and all safety precautions when working under a rig.

Such as when I just did my rear axle modifications and installed new tires, I chocked the fronts, used my 20-ton jackstands with two 6-ton backups to assist.  Once the rear was done I lowered it and raised the front to replace the steer tires.  I never put the entire thing up in the air at the same time.  I like to keep axle in contact with the ground and chocked. 

It was a little more of an inconvenience to have four tires mounted/balanced and then the two steers a couple days later but it is not worth it when dealing with 20-ton vehicles.

I cringe when I see someone using a jack only and crawling under something they will only be a moment and don't want to take the time to grab a sturdy set of jack stands.  It takes seconds to slip off the jack and ruin your life or worse yet, kill you.

Mike.

A few weeks ago I was working on my sons Lincoln town car. I jacked it up with the factory supplied scissor jack and turned around to grab the jack stands -- they were a step away, I turned back around and the scissors jack just folded up like it was made of paper and the car fell on the tire and wheel I had stuck under the frame.  From now on I will always use my 6 ton floor jack even if its a pain to drag out to the driveway.

Back
Top Bottom