Best campground for mt rushmore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are a ton of campgrounds in and around that area, we blasted through South Dakota a few weeks ago, and we liked it so much we are planning to go back for 2 weeks next summer, i look forward to the respones you get

I dont know if it's best because it's not full hook up but we liked Legion Lake and stayed in site 14E. Sites 13, 14 and 15E have trees. It was electric only but it also has a drinking water faucet near the restrooms. It's paved and has a large enough turn around, hiking trails out the back, deer and buffalo wander through and there was a pile of self cut firewood  out back.  I plan on going back to the same spot if I can as it's a beautiful area. I didn't do an extensive search but did notice as we drove around that some parks down that way were cut into the hills and and a little tighter. Not all of them by any means but I was happy with the ease of Legion Lk. Check the closing date and remember that Buffalo round up is very busy.

I have a bunch of pics but they are too large because of color pop setting. Dog gone it! It is a gorgeous area. Crazy horse is great too.

Rushmore
Crazy Horse
Needles Hwy
Tunnels
Custer
Wildlife loop
Sylvan Lake
Mt Coolidge Lookout  Possible low clearance and steep,  other areas such as tunnels are no place for RV's so watch where you turn.

We stayed at Beaver Lake Campground and it was well suited for our visit. Be sure to take in as many of the sights QZ shared.

We stayed at Custer's Gulch and really liked it. Friendly people and a nice, quiet and very clean.

We found the Heartland RV Park just south of Hermosa on Rt 79..  It is away from the hustle and bustle but just a few  miles from all the area has to offer..Badlands to the East, Hot Springs to the South..and everything else to the West!...We would definitely return to this park. ...If you prefer  a more crowded atmosphere, especially for kids, then the Mount Rushmore KOA would be a fun place ...  Good Luck...

We enjoyed our (brief) stay at Horse Thief Campground in August (post-eclipse). Would go back if it weren't a four-day drive from central Texas.

reniram said:
We found the Heartland RV Park just south of Hermosa on Rt 79..  It is away from the hustle and bustle but just a few  miles from all the area has to offer..Badlands to the East, Hot Springs to the South..and everything else to the West!...We would definitely return to this park. ...If you prefer  a more crowded atmosphere, especially for kids, then the Mount Rushmore KOA would be a fun place ...  Good Luck...

X2 on Heartland - they are Passport America, making it a bargain for the area.  I reviewed it with lots of photos here: http://pastorscott.com/travel/2017-heartland-rv-park-hermosa-sd/

We've stayed the KOA in Rapid City a couple times when visiting that area.

Try to do the night show at Mt Rushmore if you can. We saw it one time at night and a thunderstorm came in and lit the faces up with lightening.  Really neat!

We've stayed 3 times at Custer's Gulch RV Park, just east of Custer, SD. Easy access to Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and the Wildlife Loop Rd in Custer State Park. You can make a day trip of Devils Tower, about 96 miles from the park. Spearfish, Deadwood, and Badlands NP are close as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom