BEST Class A Motorhome you have ever owned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of us, unless we have had serious problems, consider the one we own the best.  Just human nature - don't want to admit we made an error.  Lot's of factors go into a determination of what's best for any of us.  A few are:

PRICE
Intended use (part-time/full-time)
Resort, Full hookups, or primative camping
Floorplan
Gas Vs Desiel
Size
Manufacturers reputation
Consumer reviews

The best resource I found when researching options was JR Consumer Resources.  Web site is:  http://www.jrconsumer.com/
I do not work for this organization or profit from them in any way.  Just found them to provide unbiased reports with much valuable information.

Bob

I used JR Consumer Resources the last purchase and tend to agree with your statements

I cant get away from Winnie/Itasca products , but since you ask "you'd like to own" , well yeah , not only has Sweetie lusted over a Newell , I slobbered pretty good myself over those we have seen ..

But when I return to earth a Tour or Ellipse , and I think that would make me vewy vewy happy

We have only had one that we've owned, but if buying again, we'd look at floor plan, reliability, quality of construction, and equipment, among other things. BTW, these days, Consumer Reports has good things to say about many American-made autos.

We've had a 1985 Allegro, and our current M/H is a 2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral.  We bought the Holiday Rambler about a year ago, on ebay.  It has been the best quality m/h or camper we have had so far.  It's not a Newell, but for our price range, it's better than we ever expected, and head & shoulders above the Allegro that we had.

Political correctness is built on "not wanting to offend anyone".

You have every right to express your opinions. Do it - and to hell with anyone who gets offended. They can learn to deal with it.
Not wishing to offend anyone, here's another perspective that parallels the RV industry.

Ken is right about most motorhomes being essentially custom builds done in an assembly line environment. The thing that bothers me about RV quality is the defects that are designed in. I'm talking about wiring and plumbing that is under mechanical stress or subject to abrasion (especially around slides), inadequate ventilation of electronics and battery compartments, lack of anti-corrosion protection for the numerous chassis wire connections, poorly designed a/c and heating ducts, water lines exposed to freezing, etc. I can comprehend that some of these things may be more prevalent in lower end models where cost-cutting is a prime goal, but the high end rigs seem plagued with them as well. Many of these companies have been building motorhomes for years and ought to know better. And the same people move from company to company, including the start-ups, carrying their expertise (or lack) with them.

It is fair to say, though, that a complex motorhome is going to need more than just the occasional oil change your car expects. A fixed house has more than enough routine maintenance to keep it functioning and a mobile "house" with multiple sources of power and movable "rooms" is going to need much, much more. It's the nature of the beast.

In several ways a trailer is simpler in design. Thus, it is likely to be lower in maintenance.
A lot of problems start with poor or outright incorrect engineering. An engineer friend that bought a new 5th wheel was frustrated with the poor performance of the reefer. After investigating and determining that there was insufficient air flow across the coil he added two $10 "muffin" fans and dramatically improved the performance of the unit. Not rocket science. Engineering is the last place the OEM's should economize as it's so costly down the road in assembly, warranty, and maintenance costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom