Best credit card for traveling? Cash back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stvaughn

I?m thinking about getting a second credit card since we are starting to travel a lot more. Recommendations? Is cash back for real?

It is surprising that many don't use cards that give cash back or other rewards.  We have been using those cards as much as possible for many years.  Use credit cards to your advantage, not theirs.

Lots of good choices, and yes cash back is real. In fact, I'm surprised that anybody is still using a card that does not give cash back or similarly valuable reward.  We buy a lot on Amazon so get good value from the Chase Amazon card, but also carry Chase AARP, Discover and BOA Rewards cards.  The Pennfed card suggested above is also a good one.

We recently got a Costco CITI card that has great rewards.  If you're in the Western part of country, Costco gas is generally among the lowest price in the area.  We also have a SAMS card which we use at Walmart and need cash.  Sure better than an ATM. 

Walmart's Mastercard has moved from Synchrony Bank to Capital One and has new and improved reward terms.  The first is 5% cash back in the store for 12 months if you also install and use the Walmart Pay app on your phone.

You also get 5% back on Walmart.com purchases, 2% back in the store (without the Walmart Pay app), 2% at Murphy Fuel stations,  restaurants and travel and 1% cash back elsewhere.

There's no annual fee.

I like my 1.5% cash back on my Capital One Card.  I also take advantage of my Discover card, although cashback is 1%, every quarter they run a promo, maybe gas this quarter, Dining next, Amazon next etc, but those promos are 5% cashback.  Do some research, many cards are even offering a sign on bonus, maybe $150.  The whole trick to maximizing benefits is set-up auto payment in full each month. 

For 3 years I've used the Paypal Mastercard credit card. 2% cash back on all purchases all the time. No tricks, no gimmicks, no annoying phone calls like most cards. It is thru Synchrony Bank and is not connected to eBay.

Use the card for literally everything, even a $1 bag of potato chips, and it adds up quickly. I only write checks or use cash for places that don't take plastic. Pay off the entire balance every month so you don't give your rewards back in interest.

In every case,, no mater how it's set up,,the "cash back" is being paid by the consumers.. Retailers have to raise prices to cover this scheme,, so everyone pays using plastic or not...>>>Dan

Sams Club card gives 5% on fuel up to $6,000 per year, 3% on travel (restaurants, RV parks, Motels).  We also use a Discover card for whatever is their 5% rebate items which changes each Quarter, plus a Wells Fargo card that gives 1.5% on everything.  Makes a difference in a year.  The trick is to pay the bill in full every month.  Their finance charges are not very friendly if you incur any.

BigLarry said:
Sams Club card gives 5% on fuel up to $6,000 per year, 3% on travel (restaurants, RV parks, Motels).

Sams card is great for traveling.  I use it too. 
US Bank Cash Plus for 5% categories.  It's cell phone and home utilities now.  I charge most of my utilities on my rentals.

Amazon for 5% rebate on Amazon purchases.  Just set it and forget it. 

My Fidelity card for a 2% rebate on most everything else.

The Chase Amazon credit card works good, you'll earn 1%-3% cash-back depending on the category of each purchase, and the cash-back can be used for statement credit, gift cards, and traveling purpose.

stvaughn said:
I?m thinking about getting a second credit card since we are starting to travel a lot more. Recommendations? Is cash back for real?

I have a costco visa that gives 4% cash award and use in conjunction with a Good Sams at Pilot and Flying J's which gives .05 on gas and .08 on diesel. Savings add on our 4,000 mile trip each year with RV and our tow car

IMO, cash back is a joke. I prefer having a card with a lower APR (9-13%) vs having one with cash back and a higher APR (21-27%).

Alpena Jeff said:
For those that carry a balance, that would make sense.

We don't carry a balance on any of our cards, and the cash back is a real thing. Everything possible runs through the cards on Autopay (utilities, newspapers, etc) and almost all purchases are made on the cards, including food and fuel. I suppose cumulatively, our cash back is $1000 or so. Costco alone is about $200.

X2. To me it is not a "credit" card. It is a discount card. Interest makes everything cost twice as much. I paid everything off and now I can buy twice as much with the same money. Plus $1,000/year from the cash back card.

I use 2 different cards to put expenses on. One gives me 3% back on fuel and restaurants, and the other is 2% back on groceries. Everything else is 1%.  It's getting paid back just for buying all the stuff that I would buy regularly anyway. 

I use the cash back as a "Christmas Club" account and get the cash the first part of December every year. It pays for most or all of the Christmas shopping.  I haven't carried a balance on a credit card in over 20 years, so whatever interest rate the card has is meaningless. 

Back
Top Bottom