Best discounts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CandyJade41

Hi guys. My names is Desiree and I?m preparing to live out of my RV. Are there any discount packages that are the best? I saw passport America a few times. Is it worth it to get that? Or do you recommend something else? Thanks I?d advance.

Des

Discount packages are worth it if you like the campgrounds they can be used at, and if you actually use the package. Passport America is one of the most popular, and though restrictive, pays for itself quickly.

Whether to join a lot of the discount RV Clubs or not depends on how you plan to travel. If you are going to be moving around a lot, then Passport America would be a good one to join. You get 50% off member parks although there are some restrictions on a park by park basis. Some limit the number of days, some exclude weekends or holidays. It is up to the park. But at 50% off we made back our annual fee in the first week.

Good Sam Club gives 10% off at a lot of locations so you can usually get your annual fee back. If you buy fuel at Flying J you can also use the card for fuel discount and propane discount.

Escapees Club has park discounts from 15-50% but not as many parks take it. They do have a few of their own parks with large discount for members staying there and they have many other benefits for membership you could check out at their website.

There are a lot of parks that give discounts for military, AARP, AAA, or things like that. Sometimes you just have to ask or look for a sign at the office. Many times if you are staying for a week or a month, they will have a discounted rate for the longer term that will be cheaper than any of the club discounts will get you.

HTH, and welcome to the forum!
Vicki

The CFN (Commercial Fueling Network) allows you to use Flying J.

If your fueling only diesel you can get one of these cards without needing to be a business. This is handy if you want to be able to pay for your fuel when you get home but don't want to worry about credit card fees.

I wonder if the Sam's Club card discount would stack... I don't see why not. 

I have never joined a discount club for RV parks because so many have restrictions. However if you're trying to save every penny it may be worth investigating. We generally like to stay in state parks, COE parks and other public parks that cost in some cases substantially less than private parks. These public parks usually have a 14 day limit and are usually easy to find while traveling if you're willing to get off the interstate for 20 miles or so.

While traveling some folks are happy staying at a Walmart or Cabella's parking lot. I never have but it's a cheap option. 

The value of discounts depends on how you travel and how often you travel.  I have KOA, Flying J/Good Sam, Loves, AAA and Passport America.  PA just had a special that gave you four years of membership for the price of three.  The cost was about $100.  We are in New Orleans this week at a PA park.  We more than paid for the four year membership fee with one stop.

I've been with PA at times, and some years it pays off quickly, some years we hardly use it. It depends so very much on where you go, what plans you make, what you'll do, so you have to evaluate for yourself, but if you use it at all, two or three nights will generally pay back the fee.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macamiguin
Back
Top Bottom