Best Dog Breed for RV'ing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be the first to tell you that any pure bred dog is not always the best, healthiest or happiest dog.  And, often intense breeding plans can produce problem dogs.  With our first dog we bought him as a puppy from a highly reputable breeder, with papers up the wazoo.  I even met his mom, his grandmother and great grandmother.  Two years later we had to put him to sleep because he was full of cancer.  We got Charlie a few months later from a back yard breeder and I consider him my "God-dog".  We weren't looking for a new dog; but he fell into our laps and is even a better dog than our first one.  He has papers but his pedigree is not near as intense...and neither is he.

I think mixed dogs are probably healther, more mentally balanced than all these pure bred lines; but the problem with getting a mixed breed is you don't have any idea what's in there.  Not that that can be a real problem; but it makes making a decision about how the dog will fit into your family a little more difficult.

The problem I heard years ago when the "Designer Dogs" became popular: labradoodle, cockapoo etc. is that quality poodle breeders did not want to mix the poodle breed with everything else, so what ended up happening was that poor quality poodles sometimes got mixed with other breeds.

I'm an animal lover and for me it really doesn't matter what they are as long as they are well cared for and loved. 

Marsha~

RV roamer is always right. A cat is a much better traveling companion. It takes me five minutes per day to fill the food and water dish and empty the poop palace. They are extremely low maintenance. I can leave my cat all day with absolutely no worries. In fact he loves it, he can sleep unmolested.

Marsha, I don't need to tell you that Charlie is a great dog. However, you might remember the day you, Tim and Charlie took a ride on a friend's boat on the Delta, and she fell in love with Charlie. (She'd previously owned 2 full size poodles). Several months later, or friend acquired a Charlie lookalike, and this dog just wants to bite people. As you know, our friends have a veterinarian practice, and are around dogs all day. But they've been unable to get this dog to quit biting folks.

I'm extremely allergic to cats, so there's no cat in my RV (or stick home) future.

The base assumption that the cat will continue to use the catbox is a dangerous one...and one I'm not prepared to make.  If the dog has an accident, it's because he's sick or I screwed up really bad.  If the cat does it, accident might not even apply.  We have 2 cats.  They are the last 2 I'll ever have. 

Its too bad your not looking for smaller dogs because if your were, I would suggest the Maltese breed. They are great lap dogs.

Doesn't anyone have a mastiff or two? Sure, they're big, but we knew a red Tibetan mastiff that was a wonderful dog, and nobody would bother it when it didn't want them to, either. Perhaps an extra-large coach with a second half-bath that could convert into a doghouse.... :)

Neighbors have a great white pyranese and it barely fits in the house.  I can't imagine anything that size in an RV.  He wouldn't be able to turn around in ours.  ::)

One of my old Lazy Days buddies had a Mastiff.  He didn't scare my chihuahua though, Koda stood his ground, well stood on the golf cart and looked him right in the eyes and growled.  Whoa....

Anyway, he was living in his coach with mastiff, wife and baby.  Glad it was him, not me.

Asking a group of RVers what breed of dog is best for the lifestyle is like asking the same people which RV or type of RV is best. Every dog and every breed is best. Just go to the Humane Society or a Rescue group and you'll know the right one when you see it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom