best dogs for RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As much as I love my dog, if I were to be dogless and wanted to RV, I would remain dogless.  They get separation anxiety when you have to leave them and if they cry or whine or bark, your neighbors WILL report you.  We actually got our RV so we could take the dog with us more places.  Well, fool me once...............No need to sign up for Good Sam or any other campground discounts because "you ain't staying there."  Our dog is not fond of camping because of not having a puppy door that he can come and go as he pleases.  He has made this painfully obvious.

If you INSIST on having a dog, I would get a non-neurotic yapper, preferably fluffy and cute so other campers don't bolt in fear.  Slip it a mickey when you go out.

I have camped with mixed breeds and pure breeds and the secret is socializing them and training. I have a black Lab right now. Her only problem is some one told her she was a lap dog.

lol I have owned the 200lb lap puppy also. not fun normally they enjoy it most when they are WET !

We have a 3 yr old bichon/poodle mix. Happy nature, small, needs regular grooming but does not shed. A lot easier to live with than the elderly Burnese Mountain dog we used to have. No problem with either dog, but we checked ahead on size limits with the Burnese. The bichon/poodle mix is high energy, loves people and other dogs. He tucks himself out into nooks and crannies out of the way easily.  He makes us get out and move. The Burnese was old when he started to camp. He liked people but ignored other dogs. He spent most of his time sleeping and was too lazy too move much when he was awake. Still, he was a lot of dog in an rv.

Inscop, you may be right about some of what you say. I would not have gotten another dog so soon after the Burnese died, either. You are right about them tying you down, altho ours does not seem to suffer from separation anxiety. Still, there is no more sleeping in now that we don't have a dog door. He has a small bladder and he has to go out NOW. Unless we can find a good boarding kennel, we don't feel comfortable about leaving our small dog alone for long daytrips. Never mind overnight trips. I would have waited until we got more of the wanderlust out of our system before we got another dog.

However, I have been grateful to have him along when I go rock hounding. I always have a stout walking stick and bear spray, but he will let me know if something is around that I may prefer to avoid instead of confronting. We are in the west for the first time. I am not used to having to think about bears or coyotes or mountain lions or javelinas or wild pigs or rattle snakes or scorpions or whatever else may be there.  DH has given me a  gun to carry when I am alone (accept for the dog).  I don't want to start a gun controversy, here, but I may start carrying it when state law allows.  I am not a bit nervous about other people. But some critters do make me very nervous. We are encroaching on their territory and occassional ugly meetings are bound to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom