Best places for cool weather camping in the summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freedom First

Hi, all.  I know most people prefer the warmer places, but I like nice cool weather.  I'm looking for references on campgrounds or RV parks where night temps get down in the 40s or mid 30s and day temps are anywhere between 55 and 70 or thereabouts.  I'd like to leave in the month of July from eastern Oregon and return in mid September. 

I just need to find a few places where I can stay anywhere from a week to a month.  It's important to have hiking or jogging trails nearby, for me and my dog to explore and have a morning run.  My preference is to stay within the Northwest U.S., but I'm certainly willing to travel elsewhere.  I don't need social activities, swimming facilities and other upgrades, just the basic sewer, water, and electric hookup for a 30-amp 23' fifth wheel.  Wifi is necessary for my job because I'll still be working part-time while on the road.  Any campground that's fairly quiet is an extra blessing.  (I hope I'm not asking for too much.)  Boondocking for a couple days a week will be fine, too.

All suggestions are welcome.  I took a quick one-week trip to California in April, and I'm anxious to be on the road again.  8)

Sounds to me like North Cascades National Park would be perfect for you. It is cool, close to Oregon, remote, quiet and plenty of hiking trails. Full hookups don't exist there however. But it is beautiful beyond belief and in the middle of summer you will feel like it is your own personal National Park. It is pretty empty. My favorite campground there is Goodell Creek, space 21.

Freedom First said:
Hi, all.  I know most people prefer the warmer places, but I like nice cool weather.  I'm looking for references on campgrounds or RV parks where night temps get down in the 40s or mid 30s and day temps are anywhere between 55 and 70 or thereabouts.  I'd like to leave in the month of July from eastern Oregon and return in mid September. 

I just need to find a few places where I can stay anywhere from a week to a month.  It's important to have hiking or jogging trails nearby, for me and my dog to explore and have a morning run.  My preference is to stay within the Northwest U.S., but I'm certainly willing to travel elsewhere.  I don't need social activities, swimming facilities and other upgrades, just the basic sewer, water, and electric hookup for a 30-amp 23' fifth wheel.  Wifi is necessary for my job because I'll still be working part-time while on the road.  Any campground that's fairly quiet is an extra blessing.  (I hope I'm not asking for too much.)  Boondocking for a couple days a week will be fine, too.

All suggestions are welcome.  I took a quick one-week trip to California in April, and I'm anxious to be on the road again.  8)

Leadville, Colorado - Shorts and Sweaters all summer long - Campgrounds - National Forest - boondocking - just about perfect for cool crisp summer nights.

JMHO,

Busskipper said:
Leadville, Colorado - Shorts and Sweaters all summer long - Campgrounds - National Forest - boondocking - just about perfect for cool crisp summer nights.

JMHO,

X2 ^^ Love Leadville.

Leadville is at 10,000 feet elevation.  Such a pretty area...

ArdraF

We're leaving in the morning for a week on the Oregon coast...Pacific City for a few days, then a few days in Seaside. Highs in the low to mid 60's for most of next week...just right. (and we live on the Olympic Peninsula...not exactly Phoenix weather here either.  :D

@Becks @Busskipper @srs713 @ArdraF @BoomerD @SeilerBird  @BruceinFl

Thank you all for the Colorado recommendation.  I checked out Leadville; still trying to find a good campground other than Sugar Loafin' which is $256 a week, including tax.  That's about $30 over my budget, but maybe I can make it work for a week's stay.  I talked to Stan, a super nice fellow, at the Gunnison campground and viewed their website.  Seems perfect for lots of reasons, including the $659 monthly rate, but he says temps are already up to 90 there and forecasted to be a hot summer.  Trails where dogs are allowed are too short, but Stan says BLM land is right behind the campground and plenty of room to walk there.

Looked at other websites for campgrounds near Leadville and lots of trails seem to be restricted as far as taking my dog. 

I'll check out North Cascades National Park, it sounds wonderful, and also Oregon Coast.  As for Alaska, a friend of mine told me it can sure get hot there, too  ;)

http://www.coachlandrvpark.com/ 

We've stayed there probably 10 times. Always nice and cool.

Right on top of Donner pass in the Sierras.

About 15 minutes to Lake Tahoe.

Head north into Canada, or Alaska. The Olympic Peninsula offers some cool quiet camping that time of year as well. WIFI might be an issue on the Penninsula though. Almost forgot about Vancouver Island, BC. A beautiful place to visit and they almost speak english.  ;)

Lots of choices until you throw in the requirement for 30 FHU with good wifi internet. I haven't been to these in several years, but enjoyed them at the time. Internet was spotty at times but I'm told it's better these days.

Here's one in Hyder, AK, which is on the Alaskan panhandle and more being in Stewart, BC, for practical purposes. Both towns are very friendly, though a bit isolated. Bear viewing and salmon fishing are nice extras, if that's of interest. Great fresh halibut in the local restaurants, too. At least when the fishing is good.
http://www.sealaskainn.com/campfeatures.html

These might work for you as well: http://www.whistlerrvpark.com/

http://www.yellowheadcampground.com/facilities.php

http://www.bluecedarsrvpark.com/

Back
Top Bottom