Best route from Rawlins Wy to Grand Teton N P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trip56

We have a 13?1? high fifth wheel I am wondering if it is better to go Hwy 287 up through Dubois or should we go further on I 80 and use  Hwy 191 into Jackson

287 is fine, though much of it is very boring until you get close to Dubois then the scenery improves.  We drove it in our motorhome in the summer of 2017, my only big advice is to fill up on fuel before you leave Rawlins, there are very few gas station options between Rawlins and Dubois (1?, I think it was about 75 cents per gallon higher than Rawlins, and a good 50 cents higher than Dubois)) and the ones that are have MUCH higher gas prices, they know they have a monopoly and take advantage of it.  About the only other thing I recall about that section of road was all the FAST moving traffic, much of it 5th wheels.  We had at least 3 or 4 that passed us like we were sitting still while we were cruising along at about 70 mph.

Thanks for the information. I just wasn?t sure that was the best route. I am not real familiar with the road until I reach Dubois.

I would chose the route based on where I wanted to be in GTNP. Near Colter Bay go 287, closer to Jackson, go 191.

We are currently in Jackson, but when we leave we will take 26 through Dubois to Casper.

That where we are headed Colter Bay Village. We were there before but we came in from Cody. This time we are in Rawlins.

The Wal-Mart in Rawlins is your last chance for a store with more than 2 cash registers, so you may want to stock up on supplies before you head to Dubois.

As an alternative to taking 287 to Lander and then on to Dubois.....you could take Wyoming 135 (a truck route) at Swee****er Junction to Riverton. The road is a little bit more narrow than 287, with  a few more curves, and will take you across the Rattlesnake Range. The route over the top is a little steep, but is a little different scenery than 287 to Lander. Riverton a larger town, has a Wal-Mart, a nice truck stop, relatively decent fuel prices, ect. From Riverton you can take 26 to Dubois, Togwote Pass, on into Jackson.

If you choose to stay on 287 to Lander, it’s only 26miles (Hwy 789) to Riverton!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_Highway_135
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Togwotee_Pass

Late to the party I know, but on another forum, it was suggested to me to take 287/26 thru Dubois and spend the night in the Dubois/Brooks Lake area (several campgrounds) and then depart early in the morning on the remainder of the trip. You have the sun behind you and it illuminates the mountains ahead of you as you cross the pass and descend into the valley. Apparently very scenic.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom