Best Route to Outerbanks from Massachusetts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dakeeneys

Hi,
I'm new to the forum my name is Amy. We are leaving Friday night for the Outerbanks and we are torn on which is the best route to go from Massachusetts towing a 29ft travel trailer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Amy, Welcome to the forum. I am originally a New Englander now living in sunny Florida. I can make 2 suggestions that might help.

1. When traveling 95 into NY, I would opt for the Tappan Zee Bridge rather than the George Washington which takes you thru NYC and over the Cross Bronx Expressway. The TappanZee will be a bit longer but FAR more pleasant. The XBronx quality of pavement is like someone attacked it with mortar shells and the traffic, if you're unlucky, could be disastrous.

2. As you continue down Route 95 South, I would get off at Newark Delaware and connect with Route 301. 301 will take you around the Baltimore portion of 95 and drop you off on the lower portion of the Washington east beltway. It's a very good road with little traffic and good quality pavement.

I have not done this with my camper, as I'm new at this "camper" thing, but if I were going to drive my camper south from New England, I would definitely take these two suggestions into strong consideration. There are probably quite a few other suggestions that people will come up with in addition to these. These are the only two that stand out in my mind.

Hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.

Ed

Unfortunately for us here in the Northeast your only option is to go down 95 until you get to 287 and go over the Tapanzee bridge. Stay on 287 until it comes back around to the NJ turnpike: this lets you miss all of the NYC traffic and Upper NJ traffic. Once you go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge watch for the signs for 13 and 1 south. There will be traffic lights in the beginning of the route but once you split off on 1 it will be great. Watch for the sign for RT113 South and follow that down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and over to the Virginia Beach area. Rt. 301 and Rt 13 are a nightmare of traffic lights and congestion. It was a good way 15yrs ago but not anymore. Follow the signs to the Outer Banks off Rt 13 in VA. Have a great time. We were there last spring and it was nice but crowded.

There are several options other than I-95. I wouldn't drive on I-95 in lower Connecticut or New York on a bet.

As to Route 301, timing is everything. I took it last year into Maryland and plan on taking it to Virginia next year. At one point, I set my cruise control at 60 and didn't touch it for 40 miles except for a short work zone.

Back
Top Bottom