Best RV Cover for winter weather; snow, sleet, ice and cold temps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G Man

Hello All. What is the best RV cover for a 2014 Thor Hurricane 32A, 33 feet long, for winter weather? Best protection against snow, sleet, ice and cold temps? Do RV covers come with wheel protectors, and if so, which brands? I have looked at them and they all seem pretty much the same, so I thought I would get real opinions from all of you.

Thanks so much!

G Man

I like blue sky. A wet cover, in a winter blow, can damage paint finish, retain moisture instead of breathing properly and drying out. How hard would it be to remove snow from a cover without damaging it?

Bill

x2....best cover is no cover at all...many rv'ers have caused more damage to their units by covering then just leaving them to the open air.

Seriously, does a cover do more harm than good? It seems that a cover would do more good than harm.

WFD said:
x2....best cover is no cover at all...many rv'ers have caused more damage to their units by covering then just leaving them to the open air.

X3
I have seen a lot of damage from covers. Nothing will protect you from cold other than a heated garage.

Yes it can....i see some flapping in the wind all the time on trailers that are in storage...that constant rubbing on the finish of the trailer causes chaffing(not sure what else to call it). Depending where you live and on the type of cover, you can have moisture that gets trapped underneath and causes problems because of constant moisture present. Not to say this will happen with all covers. If you decide to cover , I would suggest you don't cheap out and buy the best cover you can buy. Some are designed to breathe and to provide a pretty tight fit, but you have to be prepared to pay for them...some have mentioned in threads that they even got dirt, sand etc trapped under the cover and rubbed into the RV finish over the winter. Many also buy protectors to put over their rain spouts so when the cover is secured these rain spouts don't break.

I live in the land of snow (usually).

When we bought our last rig, we were told to store it inside or outside and not to cover it. Around here, many just tarp off the roof and a few use covers.

Ither than the damage that wind can do, tarps and I think covers will hold in the condensation especially if the temps swing like they are doing now.

I just screwed the trailer legs to a piece of 8*8 in the winter so it wouldn't flip but we never had problems...

The best cover is a shed.  As others have said, tarps will trap moisture and cause mold to grow and can wreck the finish if in the wind.

grassy said:
I just screwed the trailer legs to a piece of 8*8 in the winter so it wouldn't flip but we never had problems...

Please explain. What are you preventing from flipping? :eek:

We took 2 - 8 foot 8 by 8 and place them perpendicular to the rig (it was a 25 foot hybrid) under the 4 stabilizing legs....we then lowered them on to the wood..then drove a leg bolt through the pad into the wood...

"I just screwed the trailer legs to a piece of 8*8 in the winter so it wouldn't flip but we never had problems..."

This stopped the trailer from blowing over in it's side.

Ian.

During our last hurricane, winds were clocked over 100 mph....and our house was shaking :)  other than losing a few shingles , all was ok.

It isn't the steady wind that bothers me, it is the gusts..

We live in the valley of two mountains so it is slightly more windy than normal but the last couple of years, the wind has been bad. Climate change ?  It is going to be 60 here on Christmas day..how odd is that ?

We have a portable garage....we had 8 tie downs holding the internal structure to the ground and it was still hovering during one storm. Thought we had lost it. We added a few more tie downs....

Interesting discussion.

Our challenge is not snow, but sun.  We have no moisture so what about experience in protecting the coach against sun damage?  I already have tire covers.

The wind discussion was fun.  We have medium wind with some areas with wind funnels.  One storm picked up a big 5th wheel and dropped it on its side.  It was tied down but way insufficiently.  That was something to see.

Back
Top Bottom