Best Trip routes to florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaz1960

My wife and i are going to Florida soon and need some advice on the best way,would like to take I-81s.Ive been doing some research and here is my trip so far,from outside Albany,NY. I-87s to I-287s to I-78w to I-81s to Harrisonburg,VA ,take I-64e to Richmond which will be for Route 288 to I-95s. If anyone has a better way let me know any help is appreciated. Thanks,Joe

I used to live in a town on I-81 in PA, and drove to Central Florida many times until I finally was able to move here.
My favorite route is to take I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95.
To get off of I-95 as soon as practicable to my area West of Orlando, I pick up US 17 off I-295 Southwest of Jacksonville, then SR 19 at Palatka through Ocala National Forest.
I use I-95 and I-75 as little as possible. Florida's other highways are surprisingly (if you're from the Northeast) free of vehicles.

I forgot to note we are going to Ft. Myers first and then Vero Beach. Thanks for the info.

PopPop51 said:
...I use I-95 and I-75 as little as possible. Florida's other highways are surprisingly (if you're from the Northeast) free of vehicles.

x2.  Especially away from Orlando and free of tolls.  Can't drive at 80mph though and be sure to start with a full tank of gas/diesel on some of the routes.

For me, I usually take the route (see on Google Maps) starting with Highway 80 from Fort Myers to Okeechobee, FL to Fort Pierce, FL and wind up on I-95 into Vero Beach.  Get to see Lake Okeechobee that way also if you take a short detour in the city of Okeechobee.

From our lakeside cottage near Broadalbin, NY, we drop down NY Rt 30 to I-90 to I-88 to I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to I-295 to I-10 to US301 to I-75. We've never hit any serious traffic problems on I-75, but we do plan our travel time to avoid rush hours.

NY_Dutch said:
to I-95 to I-295 to I-10 to US301 to I-75. We've never hit any serious traffic problems on I-75, but we do plan our travel time to avoid rush hours.

Dutch,
Sometime try this route instead of going as far as Jacksonville. In Yulee Fl, take exit 373 which will be Rte. 200 (newly redone 4 lane road (2 lanes each way separated by a large medium)) through Callahan then down to Baldwin where you'll pick up Rte. 301.  Very nice ride and cuts out any traffic you may hit in Jacksonville.  You go thru a couple of small towns but they're not a problem.

I'll check it out when we get down there in January, Rene, but we usually run I-295 around Jacksonville to I-10 aroound mid-morning, and rarely see any significant traffic.

NY_Dutch said:
I'll check it out when we get down there in January, Rene, but we usually run I-295 around Jacksonville to I-10 aroound mid-morning, and rarely see any significant traffic.

Like Mikey said, "Try it you'll like it".  ;) 

Rene T said:
Dutch,
Sometime try this route instead of going as far as Jacksonville. In Yulee Fl, take exit 373 which will be Rte. 200 (newly redone 4 lane road (2 lanes each way separated by a large medium)) through Callahan then down to Baldwin where you'll pick up Rte. 301.  Very nice ride and cuts out any traffic you may hit in Jacksonville.  You go thru a couple of small towns but they're not a problem.

When I traveled to the southwest coast when working that is the only route to take. The only difference is that I went from Citra Florida on state road 318 over to I75. Less traffic but it is a two lane. Nice drive but you may wish to go down to Ocala and take a left

Olustee bus said:
When I traveled to the southwest coast when working that is the only route to take. The only difference is that I went from Citra Florida on state road 318 over to I75. Less traffic but it is a two lane. Nice drive but you may wish to go down to Ocala and take a left

I will try that 318 on the way home this spring.  Thanks.
What do you mean take a left in Ocala? Did you mean take a right?

We always used I81 to I77, I26 to I 95.  Then the exit and route Rene lists down to I75.

Ed

Why not take I-88 instead of the thru way? You will hit 81 in Binghamton. This route avoids a lot of tolls and congestion.

pml said:
Why not take I-88 instead of the thru way? You will hit 81 in Binghamton. This route avoids a lot of tolls and congestion.

The only toll I hit if I remember right is getting on I-90 just west of Worcester Ma and getting off when getting on I-84. I  feel that I-84 is a more direst route to I-81 and the only problem area is Hartford CT and I just found a work-a-round provided by a member to miss it entirely pretty much.

I think the question was for the OP, who had mapped out a crazy route from Albany to I-81.

NY_Dutch said:

Dutch,
Did you try that route I recommended to you starting in Yulee FL?

In Yulee Fl, take exit 373 which will be Rte. 200 (newly redone 4 lane road (2 lanes each way separated by a large medium)) through Callahan then down to Baldwin where you'll pick up Rte. 301

Rene T said:
Dutch,
Did you try that route I recommended to you starting in Yulee FL?

In Yulee Fl, take exit 373 which will be Rte. 200 (newly redone 4 lane road (2 lanes each way separated by a large medium)) through Callahan then down to Baldwin where you'll pick up Rte. 301
Yes I did take your suggestion, Rene, and it worked out very nicely. Thank you! I've added the Rte 200 routing to my GPS for future use. If I had remembered where this thread was, I would have thanked you sooner!  ;D

NY_Dutch said:
Yes I did take your suggestion, Rene, and it worked out very nicely. Thank you! I've added the Rte 200 routing to my GPS for future use. If I had remembered where this thread was, I would have thanked you sooner!  ;D

Glad it worked out for you.
I had quite a time finding it. Olustee bus had suggested a route for me to take off 301 in Citra but I had forgotten what route it was. 

The last few years I've turned onto 24 at Waldo, through Gainesville and hit I 75 there.  Most of 24 is 4 lane and it seems easier than staying on 301 past Ocala. 

Ed

Back
Top Bottom