Best truck for my application

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nonrev321

Hello,

I know nothing about this so figured I'd come where the people who would know are at.

Wife and I are retiring in two years and have decided we want to spend a few years traveling around America and maybe Canada.  The travel trailers I've been looking at are running in the 9k to 11k UVW so add a few thousand to that for fully loaded trailer weight.  We will be traveling up to 9 months a year.  All kinds of terrain, all seasons. 

Reliability is primary, next is safety and third is fuel mileage.  I'm not interested in spending $40K for a new truck and am thinking something 3-5 years old.  Don't need or care for a lot of expensive power accessories

Considering the priorities of Reliability First, than safety than fuel economy can anyone recommend a few trucks to consider? 

Thanks for letting me tap ur experience

Rgds
nonrev

Pretty much no one makes a suv with a 10,000 tow capacity any more.  So you in the  2500HD to 3500 pickup market 2wd. 

1 ton diesel would handle the trailer. A 3/4 ton will only give you about 1,500 lbs towing on the axle. If your trailer is at 13,000, you have 1,300 on the rear plus the passengers and what you put in the back of the truck. I think a 3/4 ton would work with a 5th at your anticipated weights.
Try to find an 06 or 07 Chevy or GMC diesel with less than 100,000 miles. 2006 and 2007 LBZ were the best performing Duramax years and they come with the 6 speed Allison transmission.
Your going to pay more for these trucks, but it won't be close to 40,000.00. And, if dependability is what is #1, this is your truck. It will handle all terrains and give you the best mileage and resale value.
Also, you might want to consider a 5th wheel trailer. Much more stable on the road and quick to hitch and unhitch. Drawback is lost space in the bed of the truck.
Just do one thing here, buy the trailer first and then buy a truck that will pull it safely.
Good luck, its a lot of fun planning and buying, but more fun traveling.

Stan

Welcome to the Forum!!

Thanks for coming here BEFORE purchase!!

Forget all about UVW.  It is a salesman's favorite lie.  Nobody goes camping with an empty camper.  Use the GVWR for all calculations.

Your camper is likely in the 11,000#  - 14,000# range.  This puts your tongue wt (10% - 12%) at 1100# - 1700#.  Add 80# for a hitch, the weight of all passengers and cargo (500#?).  This will put the load on the truck around 2300#.

The only ? ton truck I am aware of that can handle this is a F150, reg cab, long bed, XL or XLT trim.

Most ? ton trucks should be able to handle this load.  The bigger truck will be well within its' capibilities, improving safety and reliability vs a ? ton truck.

You will get better fuel economy with a diesel, but the price goes up $8,000 for this motor.  The gas motors in any ? ton truck will do the job for you, and save up front costs.

I have just gone through the used truck search myself.  You may be in for a shock at how well trucks hold their value.  Your lack of interest in "expensive power accessories" will serve you well, both in reduced cost for the truck and higher payload from the reduced weight of options.

Spend some time on AutoTrader.com or similar sites to get a feel for what is available and for what price.

Bottom Line:  I suggest a ? ton truck with a gas engine.  Make sure it has a trailer brake controller if possible.  It is not standard on some base trim trucks.

grashley said:
Bottom Line:  I suggest a ? ton truck with a gas engine.  Make sure it has a trailer brake controller if possible.  It is not standard on some base trim trucks.

... And tow mirrors. (Thank me later! ;)

Thanks everyone,

I'd liek to hear a few more opinions if possible,  I keep hearing folks (elsewhere) mention a RAM 2500 or RAM 3500.  Can anyone comment on these.  Not many folks mentioning Fords, any reason why?

Thanks

40K miht get you a capable 3500 series diesel around 6 or 7 years old.  Heck, my 9 year old dually still fetches almost that much.  Good used trucks are hard to find and are expensive.  New?  Try close to 70K MSRP.
Start by figuring out what you think you want in an RV first.  You can generally pull more travel trailer with less truck thst you can tow fifth wheel.  Yes, there is a difference.  A TT will only place approx 12-15% of its total weight on the tow vehicle.  While a fifth wheel will place at least 18-20% of its total weight directly over the rear axle of the tow vehicle.  One rule to keep in mind.  Dont skimp on tow vehcles.  You will regret every mile of it in the long run.

Hi,

Thanks for the advise.  My wife and I have looked over Travel trailers.  We have pretty much narrowed it down to the 32-35ft length range and between 9k - 11k GVWR for the trailer.  Would a 2500 series truck handle that or would I need to go with a 3500 series?

Thanks

Some 2500/250's will handle that. be aware that the tongue weight on an 11k trailer can be as high as 1650#. Check the payload of each particular truck to be sure it can handle it. Some 2500's have a very light payload rating, just as some can have a payload rating that's more than some 3500's.

Thanks for the advise everyone..

Now the hunting and research begins to narrow it down to 1 or 2 trucks that will fit my need

Rgds

nonrev

Wldor said:
... And tow mirrors. (Thank me later! ;)

Thank you, wldor!  You are very correct!

I believe they are standard on F250 / F350.

The F350 is essentially the same price used as the F250.  Either one will work well for you.  The F350 allows much more room for future upgrades.

If you are happy with an XL or XLT trim, (fewer gadgets), and a gas motor, there are many very good choices with under 50K miles, including some new units.  A diesel will add $8k to the price.

$47,500 out the door got me, in 2014, a brand new Ram 2500 crew cab Cummins diesel with decent equipment.  It doesn't have every bell and whistle known to mankind, nor did I want that.  I still have dual alternators, chrome pack, back up cam, power windows, locks and mirrors, bluetooth, XM, electronic 4X4, diesel engine brake, towing mirrors, bedliner, toolbox, and window tint.  I don't have butt warmers, steering wheel warmers, leather seats, and the fancy dash cluster.  I've had the truck 2 and half years and love it.  Does everything I want it to do very well, and returns 14.3 MPG towing, and I tow in the mountains and rolling hills. 

You can easily option a new truck to $70K these days, but if you're careful on the option sheet, you don't have to spend near that much.  Find one 2-3 years old, you can easily get below $40K for a diesel, and probably around $30k for a gasser.  Any of the trucks from the big 3 are fine....Ford, Chevy or Ram.....just a matter of preference.

Thanks everyone. 

Once you decide you want to start traveling the options almost become overwhelming.  Now my wife is talking about a motorhome...

Rgds

nonrev

nonrev321 said:
Thanks everyone. 

Once you decide you want to start traveling the options almost become overwhelming.  Now my wife is talking about a motorhome...

Rgds

nonrev

Shop as long as you can and look at as many options as possible.  Nothing is worse than signing on the dotted line, and a week later, the perfect RV shows up for sale.....

How've you been Friz?
Butt warmers in TX? Is that even an option down there?
I think you should investigate seat icers.
Of course, you'll need to come up here to MN to get it done and we can have a few beers while you wait...... ;D

nonrev:

You are very wise to start looking 2 years early, and you just made the case for why!!

Visit lots of dealers, sit down and relax in lots of units of all types and you will quickly eliminate some options.  Over a short time, you will have really zeroed in on what you like.  Remember the MOST IMPORTANT item is Floor Plan!  If you do not both love the floor plan, you will never be happy with the camper.

Remember, you have 24 months to decide!!

Don't you just "Love" the RV shows on television these days?

A couple or family comes in and after showing them three different RV's the couple has to choose one!  How unrealistic! 

You should look at 300 RV's and really assess your needs and wants before deciding.  Go to the big RV shows and make lists and notes.

Take years, not months or days to decide if you have to.  It's a big expense!

Ron

Hey RV shows are a good idea.  Like you said.  I've got a 2 year time frame on this.

Man I tell ya though.  the expense of getting a truck and an RV of some type is pretty large, even used in the 3-5 year time frame...

Thanks everyone, good advise

Rgds

hoddinron said:
Don't you just "Love" the RV shows on television these days?

A couple or family comes in and after showing them three different RV's the couple has to choose one!  How unrealistic! 

You should look at 300 RV's and really assess your needs and wants before deciding.  Go to the big RV shows and make lists and notes.

Take years, not months or days to decide if you have to.  It's a big expense!

Ron

Keep in mind that just like the Home buying shows on TV, the family/couple/person has already purchased a house (or RV) before the show was filmed, and they build the show around that purchase.  They're not really deciding which of the 3 to purchase...it's all show.

Please do not feel too overwhelmed.  We are here to hold your hand (figuratively) and help you through the process.

First, look at lots of RV's, as mentioned by several folks.  Look at all types and makes and see what seems to fit your needs.  We can not make these choices for you, but you will quickly start narrowing down the choices.

Completely ignore prices at this point.  Look at floor plan, ease of access, storage, amenities, etc.  Your budget will cover a very nice gently used Class A or C or a 1 ton truck and gently used FW or TT, or whatever you decide.

As stated recently on another thread, the best RV chassis is the one under the unit you like.

For trucks, Ford, Dodge or Chevy - take your pick.  All are very capable tow vehicles.  Drive all three and get the one your wife likes best.  We may take cheap shots at each other over the different brands, but all will support any good choice you make.

Look around and come back with more questions!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom