Best truck for towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gizmo said:
I would look at each one with an open mind, read the reviews, drive each one and choose the one that fits your needs From what you are looking at, I agree with previous posts that a 1-ton dually would be the best fit.

And when you're all done with the looking, go and buy a Ford F450 dually and don't look back at making a good, sound decision... ;D

I don?t have a truck well that?s not true I do have a 08 Silverado but don?t use it for towing. My last 4 trucks were Chevy. I did notice this summer when we were on the road that the majority of the work trucks hauling heavy loads were Doge. I would go test drive the new Doge with the Cummins engine and see how you like it. Ultimately it?s your money and you get to buy what you want but I would drive a Doge with the Cummins if I were going to use it to tow.
Bill

Sign up to one of the truck forums.  I joined several after finding that my 2005 Ford F250 Diesel, which I purchased new, had serious engine problems.  It has been in the shop numerous times for warranty work.  Lesson learned.  I will never purchase another vehicle without first doing an online search.  Any truck can have problems and based on my research, most have had one or two.  Find a truck that will serve your needs and then check to see what the actual experience has been.  If you're buying a new truck with a newly designed drive train, you'll have limited real world data.  Personally, I'd go with a truck that's been out there for a few years.  Many of the mechanical issues will have surfaced and you will have a pretty good feel for the quality of the truck.  Two of the forums I belong to are:  thedieselstop.com and thedieselplace.com 

kjansen said:
Best advice here so far is to drive all three.  I happened to be in parking lot yesterday and heard a very loud diesel pickup, it was a Dodge.  I would never buy that one, only that one.  Newer, others might be much quieter.  Look at and test.  Any of them 1 tons will pull your rig.

My new Cummins is very quiet. 

As stated, each brand has their pros and cons.  Drive them all, weigh each carefully, and buy the one that best fits your needs.  You're the one you have to please.

Frizlefrak said:
My new Cummins is very quiet. 

As stated, each brand has their pros and cons.  Drive them all, weigh each carefully, and buy the one that best fits your needs.  You're the one you have to please.
I know it's hard to believe but some people hot rod their truck with loud or no mufflers.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
I know it's hard to believe but some people hot rod their truck with loud or no mufflers.
Bill

I think they are referring to the old Cummins engines as being a loud diesel engine , and it not muffler loud, it's just the clattering diesel sound.
It used to be we could tell if it was a Dodge pulling a 5er into the park without even looking out the window. The new ones are supposed to be better.

WILDEBILL308 said:

Little known fact - the new Cummins doesn't have a muffler.  :eek:

TonyDtorch said:
I think they are referring to the old Cummins engines as being a loud diesel engine , and it not muffler loud, it's just the clattering diesel sound.
It used to be we could tell if it was a Dodge pulling a 5er into the park without even looking out the window. The new ones are supposed to be better.

I can still tell, most of the time!  ;D

Of the three, I'm still astonished at how quiet the Ford is.

Phil Hyde said:
Little known fact - the new Cummins doesn't have a muffler.  :eek:

I can still tell, most of the time!  ;D

Of the three, I'm still astonished at how quiet the Ford is.

The 6.0 Ford PSD was quiet too....blown head gaskets and head studs torn out of the block will do that.  ;D

here is the Car and Driver comparison tests of the 3 trucks,
It ends up being a close call with several different factors playing into the choice for the "Best" truck.

everyone may have different deciding factors for their "Best" truck,... Pulling cap., fuel mileage, interior comfort, and of coarse reliability, and some times it just comes down to brand loyalty.

you can read the test and decide for yourself .....but they are all good trucks.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-chevrolet-silverado-2500-ltz-4wd-crew-cab-vs-2012-ford-f-250-super-duty-king-ranch-4x4-crew-cab-2012-ram-2500-laramie-longhorn-4x4-mega-cab-comparison-tests

I was told by someone about the Dodge "death wobble" and what I found on line was absolutely criminal by Dodge to hide this.  Look up "death wobble" and watch the video!!!!!!!!!!  WOW is this something to see,  would not want this to happen but I guess it does and is admitted to by Dodge. :'(

The death wobble is due to worn suspension parts, and from what I can gather, is exacerbated by suspension lifts, oversized tires and rims, modifications, etc.  Chrysler revamped the front suspension in 2009....some speculate to rectify this problem that they don't acknowledge even exists. 

Any good suspension/alignment tech should be able to identify any worn suspension components and replace them.  There were tens of thousands of these trucks built that have never exhibited this issue.

We test drove all the 2013 1 ton dually 4WD Crew Cabs to haul our 2006 Artic Fox.  The Ford had the best GVWR as equipped (14K), but not the best towing.  The top end GMC was by far the nicest ride with the hydraulic body mounts (way better than the others). The Chev was also very nice.  The RAM had the best interior to my taste with a great dash and seats.  They all have the AMAZING new clean quiet diesels and are a delight to drive with abundant power and torque and surprising economy.  We ended up with the F350 (even with the clunky interior) since it can legitimately handle over 5000 lb. in the bed, and tow our utility trailer and was around 5K less with the deal I got.  I did end up adding custom made overloads to the rear for better ride height.  One note:  When pulling thru a tight spot, my wife banged one of the dually fenders into my restored 1972 Dodge Monaco rear bumper (no contest, the Monaco won) and made an ugly dent.  Took 10 minutes with a heat gun and some rubbing compound to make the plastic fender look like new.  The other duallys would have needed new bed quarters!

Attachments

• 1972DodgeMonaco.JPG
    1972DodgeMonaco.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 7
  • truckcamper.jpg
    truckcamper.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member