Best TV plan for streaming? Hulu, sling, ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the services now make it fairly easy to cancel. You used to have to call and talk to a person that would refer you to the "customer retention department" which would try to keep you from cancelling. Now, you can usually just fill out a form online.

So .. the reason I said all that is that you don't have to decide which is best for you. You can try them one at a time. And you can switch fairly easily to another whenever you want to help avoid multiple charges. Also, most offer a free trial period.

Having said all of that, I am lazy and have a subscription to several services. The most expensive one is YouTube Live. It is basically like a cable package with local channels and a lot of "cable" channels plus a lot of on-demand selections. One nice feature is that it has almost unlimited "DVR" storage. You can set it to save anything you are interested in and it'll keep the programs for up to nine months. It basically turns everything you DVR from the local and cable channels into on-demand stuff.

If you are interested in network programs but don't need local channels, you can subscribe to Hulu (mostly ABC and Fox), Peacock (NBC), and Paramount+ (CBS). All three also have movies and other things. If you choose the "with commercials" options, it isn't very expensive to get all three. I don't recommend the non-commercial options because you will be annoyed by how many commercials they still show you even though you paid extra to avoid them!

If you want live sports, I recommend YouTube TV.

If you have kids or just like Marvel, Star Wars, and other Disney properties, of course, you should consider Disney+. It's also a pretty good deal if you aren't a Disney fan because it has a lot of content and because you can bundle it with Hulu and ESPN+ webcric live stream. My biggest nitpick is I don't like the interface it uses on our Roku TVs. The program icons and titles are too small especially on the smaller TV in our RV.

HBO Max is a good choice for more adult (not that kind of adult, though!) programming. Lots of good movies and series.
If direct tv now or sling tv is simply cable streaming over the internet, you are not a cord cutter...

This thread has been going for a while, so is perhaps worthy of an update, we subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Disney+, recently the vast majority of the shows we watch are Netflix of Hulu with probably half the things we watch on Hulu being older series, Amazon Prime content has really gone down hill, but there is still enough left that we will watch it perhaps a couple of times per week, Disney+ has a few good shows, but not that much, and there may be months where we don't turn it on (we have the Disney+ Hulu bundle deal so it does not cost us much). We have also been watching more and more free streaming services with commercials, for example a couple of nights ago I watched with movie Nobody on FreeVee.

I have had all of them and they all suck. After a month or two there is nothing left I want to see on their services. I have Amazon Prime not for the videos but for the free shipping. I have amassed a large collection of DVDs and I prefer watching them.

Amazon Prime has a pretty good selection, and through them, you can subscribe to many of the other services on a month to month basis.
Between Amazon and Netflix, we have almost never run out of things to watch.

About two years ago, I added BritBox to Amazon Prime so we could watch the later seasons of Red Dwarf. I was going to cancel it as soon as we finished that show, but then we got hooked on the British mystery shows and we are still watching them.

Roku and don't pay for any plan, Just buy the Roku [any of them] and almost everything is free on the Roku channel and others.Live TV is free and there are almost as many channels as your cable plan had. Now if you are a series junky on say Discovery channel or HGTV, you will have to pay $5 a month or if Philo has everything you want then it's $25. There is not really a 'best' for everyone. You have to see which one suits you best. each one seems to leave out something.

I've recommended a Roku to several people who don't subscribe to any paid streaming sources. There is a lot of free stuff available.

In addition to what you mentioned, there is YouTube with a lot of older shows in addition to the videos of cats falling off furniture. Crackle has movies and TV shows for free. Pluto TV offers a lot for free. And there are several apps, err "channels," for seeing local and world news.

We will snowbird 2-4 months a year. Plan will to move locations every 14-30 days.

I already purchased starlink with the Mobile service.
I was going to get HULU+Live when we traveled but see it has to be connected to a home network.

Can I use my Starlink as a home network? If so what would me local channels be as I moved around? Alaska, where my Starlink was sent to?

As stated earlier, I see HULU "lets you change your home location just four times per year"
would I simply change my location when I moved?

I'm so confused...I may end up using my phone or tablet to watch my Direct TV (what I have at home) and screen mirror it onto the TV when we snowbirding. But then I would never get local news in area I am in.....

We got starlink for home and then take ut when we go south, love it. We got rid of Directtv and bought a Roku. Get a lot of free tv with it, but hubby is a football watcher, so we did Utube TV. It is 70 bucks a month, we use for 4 months traveling, it will let us "travel" and not have to be home. We are in Vegas now but are still getting our home channels. Which i don't care if i see 30 min. Of local tv. We get everything... NBC, CBS, ABC.

... But then I would never get local news in area I am in.....
That's when you take a moment and re-scan your over-the-air television and watch old-fashioned television. Catch the news at 7:00 am, 6:00 pm, and again at 10 pm on the major stations, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX. All of them will have local television stations. If you are in a location with absolutely no television reception, then there is no need to be concerned about anything happening in the news anyway!

And.... Roku streaming (live) television has channels dedicated to news channels all across the country. They are in the 4000 number channel range. There's a bunch. No subscription needed, just a wifi internet connection and a Roku television, or the app on your phone.

I also have a Roku.

Thanks tanglemoose, YouTube was 2nd choice after Hulu. May go that route unless I verify Hulu would work the same.

We got starlink for home and then take ut when we go south, love it. We got rid of Directtv and bought a Roku. Get a lot of free tv with it, but hubby is a football watcher, so we did YouTube TV. It is 70 bucks a month, we use for 4 months traveling, it will let us "travel" and not have to be home. We are in Vegas now but are still getting our home channels. Which i don't care if i see 30 min. Of local tv. We get everything... NBC, CBS, ABC.
I just learned that you can pause your YouTube TV subscription for up to six months. It will save your account and recordings. I just paused our subscription until July and will probably pause it again then until college football starts in the fall.

In the mean time we can watch network programming over the air or through the Hulu, Peacock, Paramount+, and ABC "channels" on Roku.

Amazon Prime has a pretty good selection, and through them, you can subscribe to many of the other services on a month to month basis.
Between Amazon and Netflix, we have almost never run out of things to watch.
One advantage to Amazon Prime for me is I can subscribe to say HBO's Max to watch the 4th season of True Detective ( btw, don't bother, it truly sucks) and to cancel you just go to your subscriptions and click. This way you're not tied to a subscription which requires spending 45 minutes on hold and then a circular conversation with Rebecca (Aarushi) in Mumbai all cleverly designed to make the caller throw up their hands and surrender.

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Philo. After 4 years of using it Philo is the best at $25/month for 74 quality channels with unlimited DVR with a 1 year retention. Has much a much better on-demand library than Hulu. Runs on any laptop browser, Firestick, or Roku. Works anywhere we have wifi.

If direct tv now or sling tv is simply cable streaming over the internet, you are not a cord cutter...
I think of a cord cutter as you are not attached to the satellite on the roof like Dish n Direct tv... we have no cords to TV just use our wifi to stream whatever!!

I think of a cord cutter as you are not attached to the satellite on the roof like Dish n Direct tv... we have no cords to TV just use our wifi to stream whatever!!
Then where are you getting the signal from? Certainly not cellular, right?

But I do see a lit of people hotspot there cellular plans or do a verizon home plan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macamiguin
Back
Top Bottom