Best way to carry money when RVing or traveling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
American Express blue from walmart... Add money from your regular account when you want... I do it from my phone... Easy

gc1966 said:
I keep a couple thousand and a Glock 21 with me....

I went to a friend's retirement party in AZ this weekend and they gave him a Glock 23 for his retirement gift.  Have you seen one?  That is a sweet little weapon.  Light weight, .40 cal, magazine is about 4 inches long but loads 9 and one in the chamber.  Very compact and it looks nice too.  The only negative thing I have heard is that the grips will tear your hands up if you shoot it a lot, but this is a self defense gun and nothing you should be shooting "a lot."

Doing a lot a traveling, living in NY (not a despariging remark) any big city I carry my wallet in my side pocket. As far as cash there are plenty  of ATM's .  Just being aware what is around you should keep you and your valuables safe. 

Oh utube the Johnny Cash song listen to the lyrics "don't take your guns to town"

Jim

docj said:
X2 Fear of debit cards seems to abound on these forums, largely as the result of misinformation about your protections and liabilities.  IMHO quite a few posts mix personal opinion with fact and present scenarios that are not consistent with the laws that govern debit card use.

Here is an official statement of your liability from a debit card relative to its loss (theft) or fraudulent use not associated with card loss.  http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards

Notice that if you report a loss or theft within 2 days you are exposed to a maximum of a $50 charge.  In addition, if someone makes unauthorized transactions with your debit card number, but your card is not lost, you are not liable for those transactions if you report them within 60 days of your statement being sent to you.
Don't waste your time trying to explain the facts about debit cards to this forum. I have explained it several times but there are some people here that are just too hard headed to listen to facts. Their opinion is all that matters. I have been using debit cards for many years without an issue. They are just as safe (if not safer)  than credit cards.

Buying a safe for carrying money in an RV is a waste of money. I carry a few hundred in a book in my RV. No one would steal the book and it is easy for me to find.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Travelers Checks. Yes they still work, no they are not a big hassle, just a small hassle like everything else these days. HOWEVER most people don't know "how they work".

Asking to "cash" a travelers check will almost always get you a firm "no". Businesses don't want to cash your checks when you are doing zero business with them.

If you want to convert a travelers check to cash, just wait until you need to BUY something. You can spend $5 and pay for it with a $50 travelers check and you get the $45 change back in cash.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For RVing you really need everything... credit cards, debit cards, checks and cash.

While society is trying to force us away from cash and insisting we give out our phone or email just to make a simple cash transaction, cash still works but merchants seem to prefer anything they can track you with, such as debit cards, credit cards and store accounts.

Ironically, I've run into some small bargain campgrounds that took only cash and nothing else. Ditto for some mobile repair men. Perhaps the owner is a bad manager or they're trying to fly under the radar of past liens or taxes, who knows, but it's a reality that still exists now and then. Some businesses only deal in cash, period.

In the event of a disaster though, cash is king. When supplies are premium, power lines are down, the merchants revert to cash only. Been there, done that, and it wasn't pretty. Those with cash could obtain provisions, those without, did without.

You can have a bloody fortune in the banks and perfect credit with a plethora of cards, but it will get you nowhere when the local economy temporarily goes cash only and supplies are far and few. This can happen after an earthquake, flood or even a hurricane or ice storm that wasn't suppose to hit your area. You may need help, Good Samaritans are in short supply, but cash can often persuade instant help for sure.

Cash is also good to have if you end up in the middle of nowhere and you've done something silly like get your RV or car stuck in the muck out of cell phone range near a lonely road of virtually no traffic. The farmer 3 miles away might use his tractor to pull you out for free, then again, he may be a very busy man and you're just not on his list of charity work to do that day. Cash compensation can get that tractor moving pretty darn quick.

Many disasters can not be planned for, but having been through my share, both with and without cash, it's an absolute nightmare not to have any cash around should you suddenly find yourself in the midst of a catastrophe or just a boo-boo in the middle of nowhere.

It makes smart sense to have a fire and water proof safe in your RV for computer backups, important papers (like your insurance policy), your address/phone book backup, spare credit cards and some cash if you so desire. Heaven forbid if you're in a fire or accident, there's a good chance your safe contents will survive. It's very cheap insurance for a one time purchase.

SentrySafe F2300 Fire-Safe Waterproof Chest
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IBHM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00006IBHM&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

DearMissMermaid said:
For RVing you really need everything... credit cards, debit cards, checks and cash.
I have been full timing for 11 years and I have never owned a credit card in my life. I get by just fine without one.

SeilerBird said:
I have been full timing for 11 years and I have never owned a credit card in my life. I get by just fine without one.

Tom,

So much depends on your circumstances. I used to deal only with cash, check and a gasoline credit card. But in 1980 I went on a temporary assignment with my company (9 months), and to rent a car on a monthly basis (not to mention renting furniture for the town house we rented), I had to have a credit card -- they wouldn't let me rent without one. Note that debit cards (so far as I know) hadn't been invented yet, and credit cards didn't have the ubiquity they have today.

While I could get by (mostly) without one today, if necessary, I find it financially beneficial (if only a little) to use a credit card, then pay it off just before payment is due (avoids interest paid, while gaining a little paid to me). The result is that I use their money for a short time (a week to a month and a half, depending on purchase date and due date), gaining whatever interest is available in my bank and/or investment(s) account. Since I'm paying for using a credit card whether I use it or not (with rare exceptions), there's no real point to not using it, much as I'd like to see society as a whole go back to cash and carry (perhaps an exception for homes and cars).

Larry - I have heard it all before. I have no objection to you using a credit card. It is just that I am not going to ever use one no matter what the situation. But Miss Mermaid told me I had to have one and that is just not the truth.

in 1980 ... Note that debit cards ... hadn't been invented yet

Larry, just a FWIW - I carried a debit card in the 70's, albeit from a UK bank.

Tom said:
Larry, just a FWIW - I carried a debit card in the 70's, albeit from a UK bank.
Interesting, Tom. It was a lot of years later before I ever heard the term. Thanks.

SeilerBird said:
Larry - I have heard it all before. I have no objection to you using a credit card. It is just that I am not going to ever use one no matter what the situation. But Miss Mermaid told me I had to have one and that is just not the truth.
OK, Tom -- I'm sorry that I didn't read it quite that way. The hazards of communicating only by text, I guess.

I have had a debit card for as long as I can remember. I don't know when I got my first one, probably in the early 80s. Here is what Wikipedia says about debit and credit card fraud. Notice the last sentence:

Consumer protections vary, depending on the network used. Visa and MasterCard, for instance, prohibit minimum and maximum purchase sizes, surcharges, and arbitrary security procedures on the part of merchants. Merchants are usually charged higher transaction fees for credit transactions, since debit network transactions are less likely to be fraudulent. This may lead them to "steer" customers to debit transactions. Consumers disputing charges may find it easier to do so with a credit card, since the money will not immediately leave their control. Fraudulent charges on a debit card can also cause problems with a checking account because the money is withdrawn immediately and may thus result in an overdraft or bounced checks. In some cases debit card-issuing banks will promptly refund any disputed charges until the matter can be settled, and in some jurisdictions the consumer liability for unauthorized charges is the same for both debit and credit cards.

DearMissMermaid said:
Ironically, I've run into some small bargain campgrounds that took only cash and nothing else. Ditto for some mobile repair men. Perhaps the owner is a bad manager or they're trying to fly under the radar of past liens or taxes, who knows, but it's a reality that still exists now and then. Some businesses only deal in cash, period.
Small Businesses like cash because they don't have to pay the user fee to the card company and for some will pass the savings on to you.  I have been to camp grounds that offer a discount if using cash.  I know many of you have fueled up at a station that gives a discount for cash. 

The repairmen I have ussed want either a personal check, can't believe that or cash.

I carry cash, need to get some today, getting low.  I do try to keep enough back for a tank of fuel, just in case. 2 debit cards on 2 different banks in case one gets closed off for fraud, 2 credit cards, and personal checks on a couple of accounts.  I also check my statements and banks daily.  I use my Ipad to have access restricted, will not get into my accounts on the open websites. Ever once in awhile my husband has issues in foreign countries but mostly here is where the fraud takes place.  But its a real problem if his cards get cut off so I constantly monitor them.

There is a safe built into the floor of my motorhome, but it locks with a keep I can't imagine its very hard to get into.  I was keeping Sue Anne's pills in it but now keep them in a bay.  I also carry a Detective Special, Colt 32, that is handy if I should need it.  But nothing wrong with a filet knife in a handy place too.  You never know.  Have NEVER had a problem, but all it takes is once to perhaps end your life.f  I am careful about my surroundings, do not flash money either.  I don't think for women traveling alone it hurts to be a little more low key.

I never had problems with travelers checks but haven't used any for awhile, not sure why, just don't get them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom