Best way to run a cable from the roof into the RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanhui

I am in the process of installing a WifiRanger antenna on the roof (actually on the ladder) then run the ethernet cable down through the roof vent. But I need to find a way to get to a "soft" spot to get the cable through. On the Brave 32V, there is a 12V circuit breaker sitting between the kitchen cabinets and the frig, which back into the roof vent.

After partially removing the circuit breaker, I can see two openings with bunches of wires coming in from the top. The larger of the two opening is about 2.5" by 1.5". I think I can see these openings looking down into the roof vent. But I need a good way to get the cable to go near the opening. As I am writing this, I am thinking about using my fishing pole and weight to get down there. But it may not be a straight vertical drop. Besides I will have to cut out the entire vent screen. Don't know whether there is replacement part for that.

Appreciate your advice on how to get this done. I am ok with having another point of entry as long as it is a permanent solution and without making a new roof opening. Thanks!

On fairly straight runs I will often us an electrical wire snake. It is a flat cable with a loop at the end. You feed it down to your intended location, tie the wire on it and pull it up. You can pick up short cable snakes, like 20' long at the home centers pretty reasonable (under $20). 

+1 on the Winegard entry plate. I have a Traveller and the plate accommodates the 4 cables (I believe they are availalbe in different capacities) and the design is such that it should never leak (I hate to say "never"). Make sure the Cat 5 cable you use is suitable for outdoor exposure as well.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I think I will drill a small hole on the side wall of the 12V breaker cabinet, after double checked that it is hollow on the other side. Then I will insert a wire through it hoping that I will be able to spot it from the roof vent. If the entry is too far away, a cable snake should come in handy.

Should this route turn out to be too difficult, I will have to cut a new hole through the roof. But this task may be a stretch on my handyman skill set and tool set.

The ethernet cable comes with the wifi antenna so I assume that it is suitable for outdoor. How do I tell?

When I need to make a hole through a wall or roof and if the inside location is critical, I will drill a small pilot hole from the inside out.  If the pilot hole looks okay, then I'll drill it to the final size.  Buy a long 1/8" (or whatever) bit - you can find them with some looking.

I use a Ubiquiti NanoLoco for campground WiFi but I just keep it in a front cab cabinet.  I would assume your Ethernet cable is UV resistant but you can call the manufacturer or put a 1/4" split loom over it for protection.

Just to round out this thread...

I contacted WifiRanger support. The ethernet cable is indeed UV resistant and intended to be left exposed with sealant/adhesive to attach to the roof without flapping.

Back
Top Bottom