Big Rig Truck Wash-RV’s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Let’s Roll

There is a local truck wash for the 18 wheelers that I’m thinking of using for our 28’ class A. Our rig is only 3 years old and stored indoors. I’m considering doing the wash at the beginning and end of the season.
Any thoughts or potential issues I should look out for?

Do you have full body paint or vinyl graphics? Either way ask them to not use harsh scrub brushes. I wash ours with a pressure washer and a foam cannon

All city's, and many counties require all water at a carwash or truck wash must be recycled,, that means you won't get water that does not have etch ( commonly used on trucks) included.. They will always say they won't use etch but it cannot be removed.. I have had "streekin beacin' nearly ruin my paint.. never again.>>>Dan ( It took nearly a year to repair the damage.)

There is a local truck wash for the 18 wheelers that I’m thinking of using for our 28’ class A. Our rig is only 3 years old and stored indoors. I’m considering doing the wash at the beginning and end of the season.
Any thoughts or potential issues I should look out for?
I have only used the Blue Beacon Truck Wash in Barstow, CA. They are quite experienced doing Class As. They do many RVs every day. The procedure is a little different for washing RVs than trucks and they realize it.

-Don- Reno, NV

They will always say they won't use etch but it cannot be removed.
The two times I used them, I had them do the whole nine yards which includes the outside hand dry. I assume that gets some of that junk off.

OTOH, does it just rub it in more? Anyway, I have not noticed any issues after their washing of my Class A, twice, so far.

-Don- Reno, NV

Truck washes probably aren't for the persnickety RV owner but they will do a decent job where a wash is badly needed. I won't take our Newmar to one, but I've taken previous rigs through Blue Beacon and a couple independent shops. Over time you'll get some whack marks from brushes, swirls from bristles, and definitely say no thanks to the use of etch or "brightener" as it's often called. it's an acidic wash designed to clean aluminum on trucks. Make sure they do a thorough rinse in any case.

All city's, and many counties require all water at a carwash or truck wash must be recycled,, that means you won't get water that does not have etch ( commonly used on trucks) included.. They will always say they won't use etch but it cannot be removed.. I have had "streekin beacin' nearly ruin my paint.. never again.>>>Dan ( It took nearly a year to repair the damage.)
Maybe out west where there is a water shortage, this is not the case in the south where we get plenty of rain most years.

Maybe out west where there is a water shortage, this is not the case in the south where we get plenty of rain most years.
No water shortage in the west these days.

It snowed here quite heavily last night. Been snowing in the CA mountains almost every day. Spring is still not here yet.

Chain control right now in the CA mountains.

Better weather coming on Tuesday.

The last couple of years have been extra wet.

But for CA see here.

"Law requiring carwashes to recycle water passed in CA"

-Don- Reno, NV

Great comments, appreciated to all. I think I’ll skip the truck wash and do it by hand on a nice sunny day.
I didn’t know about the “etch” stuff either. I was also concerned about the vents (hot water, frig propane etc) and the power wash affacting it.
Thanks!

I've always found somebody local who can do a great job "by hand" , Better than I can do on my own, in half the time it will take me. All that for a reasonable price, as well.

I never found RV washing to be difficult or time-consuming. Even a 40 footer is about 40 minutes with a bucket of soapy water, a long handle wash brush, and a hose. Add another half hour & a ladder if you want to scrub the roof too. Obviously you need a place to do it, though. Preferably a grassy yard or driveway.

To just get the dirt off during a road trip, we use Blue Beacon. No brush on the paint, and no Rain-X (bad for our Diamond Shield). For a real wash with a liquid wax application, we get the rig detailed twice a year or so. We don’t have a good spot to do it at home, and it would take 75’ of hose to reach the street where it would be done. We just pay somebody else.

I've used various Blue Beacons and have never had any problems with them ruining any paint on my rig. I just get the regular wash for about $42 for my 32' rig, and while I have to sometimes touch it up in a very few places, it is a lot easier than trying to wash it myself considering my short height and old body.

I always wash my rig myself. With the help of my wife, we can have our 36' class A washed and dried in about 40 minutes. I wash, and my wife dries. I would be worried about either the chemicals used or the high pressure of using a commercial automatic wash.

To the OP, if you are only going to wash it twice a year there may be a mobile RV wash in your neck of the woods. Another suggestion is if you have some teenagers in your neighborhood offer a couple of them $20 each to wash and dry your rig.

Isaac, I bought a nice pressure washer last year and I was looking into getting a foam cannon. I read a few reviews and the one at Harbor Freight seems decent. It would seem to cut down on the brush-in-bucket, wash, brush-in-bucket, etc. cycle of washing. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom