Big Rigs Telling Little Rigs To Move, Would You Do It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  Ken, there really is no excuse for bad manners.  It has nothing to do with his or her rig size!  We have all found ourselves in situations where we felt that we would have preferred what someone else had.  Well, maybe he would have been more please with the other site, but what gives him the right to even ask the park to request her to move.  If you think we are jumping to conclusions without all the fact, you're probably correct, however, I for one don't need any other facts, she booked and paid for the site, end of story.  I say again, he is a BULLY, he sees a female there by herself, he wants the better site, so he tries to bully her into moving.  There is no reason that he should ever have acted as he did, and if I were in charge of the park, he would have been told to shut up or leave, they should never have gone to Miss Mermaid and said anything, except maybe hope you are enjoying your stay with us.

ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
  Ken, there really is no excuse for bad manners.  It has nothing to do with his or her rig size!  We have all found ourselves in situations where we felt that we would have preferred what someone else had.  Well, maybe he would have been more please with the other site, but what gives him the right to even ask the park to request her to move.  If you think we are jumping to conclusions without all the fact, you're probably correct, however, I for one don't need any other facts, she booked and paid for the site, end of story.  I say again, he is a BULLY, he sees a female there by herself, he wants the better site, so he tries to bully her into moving.  There is no reason that he should ever have acted as he did, and if I were in charge of the park, he would have been told to shut up or leave, they should never have gone to Miss Mermaid and said anything, except maybe hope you are enjoying your stay with us.

ed

Exactly.

The sense of entitlement crosses all class lines, though the individual faulty reasoning is different.

Bill

Trying to put the shoe on the other foot.

I have, and I think others with "big rigs" have driven around in a park and seen tents, pop-ups,  pick-up campers and small trailers in a spot that was too big for them and big enough for our RV. But, I never did consider asking them to move. It just never occurred to me. I have gotten angry with myself for lack of planning in these situations, but lack the brass b----- to ask someone to move just to accomadate me.  Maybe someday, I will be able to do that. And, when I do, I hope someone will put me in my place or shoot me so I will quit spreading unhappiness.

Dear Miss Mermaid, the guy is a jerk and I suspect Ed is correct.  He sees a woman alone and thinks he can bully her.  Sorry, that just doesn't fly with me.  Dollars to doughnuts he wouldn't do that to a man because most men wouldn't tolerate it.  We have a 40' DP but I wouldn't dream of asking you to move.  You paid for the site and it's yours.

Do have a nice Christmas and enjoy your four-month stay in "your" site!

ArdraF

Miss Mermaid, I'm sorry you are having issues. You are a nice person and the guy was out of order.  When you said no that should have been the end
of it.

I hope you are able to enjoy your visit. Can't believe people could not just accept that and move on.  Just curious is this person very old?

And my other thought is Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

The guy is now packing up to leave and try to find another park without the kind of tree that has kept his wife inside on medication for the last 3 days. He is going to lose his months rent payment because there are no refunds and he can't find another spot to move to without that type of tree next to it that his wife is allergic to. He knows now that it's all his fault that he didn't drive down from Vancouver BC and check out the spots to see that tree before he made his reservation. Of course this is his first year of retirement and now has a great deal of respect for those kind, generous Americans. He made a simple request of the park ranger to see if someone would trade spots and everyone has now labelled him a bullying jerk for asking. I suppose when he returns home he'll have a great subject for a sermon for his congregation when he fills in for the new pastor. 42 years preaching the gospel and saving his money to retire and enjoy life for a while and this is the way he's treated.

And yes, my scenario is just as legitimate as those who said that just because he has a big rig he's bullying people. The next time the owner of a small rig asks me for a favor I'll be sure to remember what jerks we big rig owners are and give him the bum's rush........

Ken

I'm amazed at the Christmas spirit here tonight. I read a book one time that talked about doing good for others, helping others whenever you could and treating everyone with respect and dignity. I think it said something about turning the other cheek, forgiving trespasses and all kinds of other obsolete things. Guess it's not a very popular book anymore.

Maybe I've got a different outlook on this......did he really say anything against you and what are the motives of the people telling you he did say something. Some folks just love to stir the puddin and see what bubbles up. Ignore the whole situation,sit up a chair (as mentioned previously) and relax. Without first hand knowledge of his statements it just rumors. Besides he may not care but his DW may have her panties in a wad....see...I just started a rumor.  Relax Mermaids dont sweat...later Will

peace out its Christmas..have a Merry one!!!

It sounds to me that these people are acting very childish much like I would expect front a kindergarten age child. Just had to say my 2 cents worth.

I have encountered this attitude from people who thought they were entitled to whatever they wanted.
My very first stay in a campground with my 5 year old grandson in my 35 footer.  We had reserved our spot by the river for 2 nights.  I could not wait to get out of there.

At dusk the first night, the spots on either side of us were occupied by smaller campers.  These people had serious tailgate set ups, popups, screenhouses, buffet stations, audio equipment etc.  They had definitely come to party on the small beach behind my rig.  They were obviously either friends or family as the kids dogs and grown ups all wandered back and forth, cutting through our site to get to the beach and setting up chairs and volleyball there too.  They made it obvious by their swarming over the site I had paid for that they resented my presence.  They could not have made our stay more uncomfortable.  We left at dawn the second day and will never return there.

I know the situation is different from what the Mermaid describes, but the attitude of being entitled to what belongs to someone else is nothing more than immature jealousy and it knows no bounds being exhibited by big rig owners or tent campers alike. 

I am glad that someone labeled it as bullying, because that is exactly what it is, and when one is not accustomed to that type behavior it is hard to comprehend until it is pointed out.

Christmas day is a good time to remember that the Golden Rule is a very good social lubricant in tight spaces like campgrounds.  I hope the new year brings us all the peace we are seeking.

As I said.. Nothing wrong with POLITELY asking.

Nothing wrong with offering the person on the site a Bribe.

But if the occupant of the site says NO.. you move on, you dont grumble, grouse, complain, cause problems, tell lies or anything else... YOU MOVE ON.

Which this jerk clearly did not do.

In every CG and boondocking area I have been in, there is always the prime spot that everyone wants. The last NF cg we were in we showed up on a Tuesday just to be able to get a first come first served spot and it turned out to be the best of those spots.  It seemed there was a group that camped there every year and we had taken one of the spots they used so all week I heard how that was BETTYs spot and she sure wasn't going to be happy when she got there. The thing is it was Labor day weekend and there were no spots period. Betty decided to wait till we pulled out the next Tuesday.

I don't see it as class warfare. It doesn't take money to be a jerk or a bully. Giving in just gives them more power to do it to the next person.

This has been a fun thread to read.  Exactly part of the reason I decided many years ago to get my own land where nobody can even think about asking me to move because they might like "my spot" better.

Regardless, Mermaid did everything right and is entitled to her site.  No stress should be involved in knowing you did what you needed to do to secure the site.  Mr. Big Rig has every right to ask if she was willing to move.  Negotiations can be made if she considers it.  But in no way should she feel responsible for turning the offer down.  The CG should back that decision.

My advice to Mermaid...
Enjoy your site.  No need to showboat.  Enjoy what you bought and paid for.  If fellow campers ask why you wouldn't move, I would then ask them if they would like to hear your side of the story.  Then the ball is in their court to decide if keeping the site is warranted.  I would bet that most would agree with you.

I feel the fella was out of line asking for her camping site.  To me that's no different than going into a restaurant and telling the manager you want some one elses sandwich because it looks better than the one you got.  I would keep my camping site and my sandwich lol.

For now I am planning to keep my spot. I seriously doubt he would be happy here either. Lots of folks like to take a shortcut through my site to the gardens behind me and I don't mind. Some have apologized when they were half way on through the lot before they realized I am occupying it. But I usually chat them up and they pet the dog and all is fine and I tell them I don't mind. They can enter the gardens by walking around the lake, or take a shortcut on my lot or the neighbor's, most choose my lot and the ones that know I am friendly, always cut through.

There are mega rigs on either side of me and I am in the rear of the lot, so you can't really see me back here, unless you look for me, then realize I am parked in back on the lot and plugged in. I think the big rigs on both sides of me enjoy the extra space we all have with this current arrangement.

Also, my neighbors on one side are much older than me and they find it easier to park by their front door and to do so, because of the trees, they have to drive across my lot. I told them this would be fine, so now they do that and it makes their life easier to unload their car near their door.

I actually tried to meet the guy before I knew he wanted my spot. I was out walking my dog and he had a cute doggy tied up who was going nuts to meet my pooch, both were wagging their tails in excitement of meeting. I asked him twice if the dogs could meet, I didn't want to just trespass on his lot, but both times I asked, he looked at me, then looked away. So I took the hint, and told my doggy to move along. He was let down he didn't get to meet and play with their doggy.

So later when the ranger came by and told me what lot number he was in, I walked over there and it was the same people who kept ignoring my "let's meet and greet" request. So I am truly puzzled.

This fall when i was traveling, there was mass confusion in one campground and I had to move 3 times in two hours. It was frustrating but comical in a way. I had a friend with me and we ended up laughing it off. Next time the ranger came by, we said if we have to move again, we're gonna need to go buy gas. He thought it was funny and apologized for the confusion. They hadn't updated their computer or something and that is why they kept moving me.

The next campground the nice lady gave us a lot on a lake that was so steep I ran out of boards and still was no where near level. I called her up very politely to see if I could either move or get a refund because I couldn't even get close to level and I had a fridge full of food that needed to be level and she was super nice and moved me to another lot that was way smaller but nearly level. It had a killer view too.

So I don't feel like I am heartless. Very often rangers will assign me the tiniest lot other times just the opposite. Unless there is a serious problem, I try to be a happy camper and enjoy.

Florida does have a zillion campgrounds, so it's not like he is stuck here. He can choose from their available lots (there are other open lots he could have) or he could move to another campground. I just happen to like the lot I reserved and would like to keep it. I would like to have the lot 2 sites up from mine, but I wouldn't dream of asking the ranger to go move those folks out on my behalf. LOL!!!

What one person sees as an ideal lot, the next person comes along and sees a different one as an ideal lot.

I feel like getting along with the temporary neighbors is all part of camping and some folks should think about this before they go RVing... if they can't get along with others or are dismayed when they can't push their way on each and everything, maybe camping isn't for them.

His sense of entitlement has nothing to do with the size, type, age or model of his rig it's just plain and simple he has a miserable personality!  I am positive that his  complaints to the other campers fell on deaf ears.  Just ignore because...you can't fix STUPID!.

And lifes little problems carry over to even campgrounds.  Just amazing isn't it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom