bike rack on bumper of fifth wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbart16

I would like to put a bolt on receiver on the bumper of my dutchman fifth wheel the spare is already their I was going to relocate that under the trailer and hang some bikes off the back of the trailer anyone have issues with this thanks Tom

We did that for years when we owned travel trailers and our 5th Wheel.  The only drawback is that you need to make sure you bungee these things down TIGHT as the rear of the 5th wheel bouces alot, causing the bikes to possibly come loose.  ;)

We're going to do this as well.  I guess that I can just screw some D-rings into the camper to hold a bungee or strap.

tbart16 said:
I would like to put a bolt on receiver on the bumper of my dutchman fifth wheel the spare is already their I was going to relocate that under the trailer and hang some bikes off the back of the trailer anyone have issues with this thanks Tom

Are you talking about bicycles or motorcycles?

I used the etrailer receiver and still had big issues with the rack bouncing.  I used a ratchet strap to keep the rack from bouncing but, the bikes were still loose at the end of the trip. Anyone use on of the racks that the bikes sit in the tire holders?

Yes have used the 'tire holder' type rack and was very successful. HOWEVER this was mounted in receiver hitch on back of ClassC. ALSO spare tire was mounted DIRECTLY on/to rear wall of coach.  Stopped the bouncing with straps & bungee around spare as well as to bumper.  Even with the old 'ladder rack' used LOTS  ;D ;D ;Dof straps & bungees.  GoodLuck on getting your bikes to the CG(& home).    K

I switched to the rack the bikes sit on, it did better still needed the ratchet straps. I am going to install a hitch on the front of my truck. There have been problems with welds breaking on the RV bumper.

I made my own bike rack that fits in a 2" tube at the back of the trailer and also can transfer to the truck.  I made it of 1 1/2" x 11Ga square tubing. its fully adjustable for 2 bikes and a tandem bike.  I hold the bikes by 2 bungees on the bottom of the wheels and let them bounce.   I have been traveling 10,000KM per year for the past 11 years and so far never caused one scratch to my bikes.  I have a pic of the rack and its twice the strength of the ones on the market.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll32/caissiel/PictureorVideo001.jpg

I'm guessing this is a stupid question, but how hard is it to relocate a spare to the underside of a 5'er?  The reason I ask is that the welds broke on the spare tire mount on my Keystone Cougar (I'm guessing from the extreme bouncing) and I need to replace it.  I'm disappointed in the whole back end of the camper.  One of the selling points of the Cougar we bought was that it had one of those slide out cargo bumpers.  We used it once and had only one bicycle on it. After only about 50 miles, the mounts bent so bad that we had to stop using it.

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom