Black tank almost fell out on the highway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martin2340

Recently camping last week in NC my neighbor noticed that my underbelly was sagging quite badly. Not being able to see what was going on I decided to wait until I got home some 600 miles away. While traveling north on Route 81 a passerby started letting me know something was going on under the TT. The sagging was much worse than when I left. Fingers crossed I limped home the remaining 200+ miles to PA.
At home I had to cut open the underbelly material only to find that the black tank was indeed falling down and was separated from it's holding brackets which in my opinion is a very poor design. No straps are used for reinforcement, only 2 1" or so angle iron bars, one on each side holding it in place. I had a very difficult time emptying the tank and I now know why as the tank was leaning towards the side that had fallen and the contents were not able to exit from the other side.
Has anyone ever had this happen and can this be something that may able to be fixed at home?

Oops, sorry about that, yeah I see what you have. I know that on the Keystone forum that I am on there is quite a discussion about holding tanks falling off of new rigs. Makes me want to run with them empty as much as possible. Of course I am sure there are tons of rigs that have never had an issue.....

rbrdriver said:
Of course I am sure there are tons of rigs that have never had an issue.....

There are tons of people that never fill water tanks or even use their toilet or shower.

Plain water weighs 8 lbs/gal. Sewage water maybe  some more. I use my tanks but rarely run with them full. I try to empty before hitting the highway. A full tank is a lot of weight hanging on those straps especially bouncing around on our crumbling highways.

X2, and I don't like the extra weight on the rear of my TT.  I do run at times with full fresh water, same straps I would assume. 

I run with my black tank empty, except for about five gallons of "slosh" water added after dumping. The gray water has about two gallons. I have about a half tank of fresh water in case the Camp water tastes bad.

Never an issue.

SpencerPJ said:
same straps I would assume.
No straps to hold the tank on only 1" angle iron. One side welded one side bolted. Seems it just sits on the angle iron and I can't figure how it came off it's mooring's.

martin2340 said:
I can't figure how it came off it's mooring's.

If you drive on roads like we have, I can see how.  Hopefully you get it corrected easily and inexpensively.  :))

Had a black tank fall out while sitting at a campground.  Luckily it was clean water.  Had flushed my tank well before leaving last campground and had apparently left the flusher on.  I didn't notice that when I turned the water on and my tank began to fill and the tank fell out after taking on a full load.  As previously described, the tank is only held in place by a molded lip at the top of each side and that sits on a rail on each side.  What looks like happened to me is once the tank reaches full capacity the bottom began to sag.  As the bottom of the tank sagged, that pulled the sides in enough to allow one or both of the tank lips to slip past the rails they sat on.  Needless to say, I will never go down the road with much of a load in my tanks until I get some type of bracing on them.

I too believe that is what happened to me but never run full. A couple of years back I did overflow the tank as I got distracted by a passerby and forgot had had the back flush on until I heard screams coming from inside the camper.

Well yesterday I was finally able to assess the dropped black tank issue. It definitely came off of the 2 1" angle iron bars that are supposed to hold it in place, no support straps attached which is a dumb design. After jacking the tank up and holding to support I removed the detachable angle iron from one side. Down flopped the back tank off of the supports and to the ground. To my surprise there was no vent tube attached as I believe there should be. It seems somehow the angle iron bar on one side was bent which may have been the original cause. I was able with help to jack the tank back up into place and re-secure the tank this time adding support straps in case it decides to come loose again. I am calling the manufacturer today and find out if a vent pipe should have been installed.
First appointment I could get for repairs was not until the last week of August and thought I was done for this year. I will be having them repair the underbelly and check for any other problems as I had to cut away a large section of the corrugated plastic to get to the tank.

Martin2340,
Please post an update about your repair.

I to forgot the back flush running.
Big Ooops! 

About 5 minutes later....
I went to open bathroom door and could not open it due to the pressure.
Then it sounded like a bomb went off.

Damage done!
Black underbelly protection sheet pushed down and off in places.
Black tank no longer strapped.
Bent crossbar/crossbar came off of frame.

I am a disabled female living in my TT full time near Orlando and I don't have to move TT anytime soon.

All I did for now is Gorilla taped back up underbelly sheet and start saving money for someone to come out for repairs.

If anyone else reads this, any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Martin2340: I bet we won't leave the back flush water running again. Lesson learned!
Kind Regards

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfish66
Back
Top Bottom